Adventures with Corndog: Corndog's Fish Store

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well just when I think I have taxes done for the year. My personal return should be done today... I got an email from the state on Monday saying I've been selected for a payroll Audit. Anyone ever been through one? I have a feeling this can only end with me owing money as every I've talked to says basically they always find some way to make sure the auditor justifies the time spent auditing you. I just submitted the paperwork today. We'll see how it goes down. I've been using an accountant to do the payroll for me. So I'm hoping everything is just as it should be.

Never the less, even for running the business legit, it's stressful when you've talked to people you'd trust who say they were doing everything correct also and yet still get slapped with you owe us X.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Only audit I went through was a sales tax audit. It all went fine until the auditor casually asked me (during what I thought was a non-audit related conservation) if I gave my employee free meals during their lunch breaks to which I responded "yes, my employees work hard for me so I don't mind at all giving them a free meal." The auditor said oh, well did you know you have to pay sales tax on all that food you let them eat?

$5k fine + back taxes owed. And here I thought I was just being a nice boss.

I'm not sure how you are paying yourself but payroll taxes are pretty straight forward so especially if you are using an accountant I'm betting you will be fine.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well just when I think I have taxes done for the year. My personal return should be done today... I got an email from the state on Monday saying I've been selected for a payroll Audit. Anyone ever been through one? I have a feeling this can only end with me owing money as every I've talked to says basically they always find some way to make sure the auditor justifies the time spent auditing you. I just submitted the paperwork today. We'll see how it goes down. I've been using an accountant to do the payroll for me. So I'm hoping everything is just as it should be.

Never the less, even for running the business legit, it's stressful when you've talked to people you'd trust who say they were doing everything correct also and yet still get slapped with you owe us X.
No state or federal authority has successfully shaken us down. But we've had to pay CPA's and Lawyers to protect us. It's sick the BS they try.

You can't stress over this stuff, it's a distraction from you running your business.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Only audit I went through was a sales tax audit. It all went fine until the auditor casually asked me (during what I thought was a non-audit related conservation) if I gave my employee free meals during their lunch breaks to which I responded "yes, my employees work hard for me so I don't mind at all giving them a free meal." The auditor said oh, well did you know you have to pay sales tax on all that food you let them eat?

$5k fine + back taxes owed. And here I thought I was just being a nice boss.

I'm not sure how you are paying yourself but payroll taxes are pretty straight forward so especially if you are using an accountant I'm betting you will be fine.
That's why we answer questions very slowly, because the smallest questions end up resulting in large fines. Our first year in business, we answered a seemingly small answer. The auditor smiled and said have a nice day. Then we got a bill for $32,000 in the mail. It was eventually busted down to 13k, which is what we projected we owed as a normal course of business (business was up that year). But it took almost six months to get it fixed.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Don't you already pay sales tax on the food you have brought in?
No, you don't. Only supplies that aren't for re-sale (e.g. gloves)

FWIW the rule on employee meals has changed several times and I think currently it is okay to give free meals w/o tracking the tax once again, but I just have an official policy that they get 75% off.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Our first year in business, we answered a seemingly small answer. The auditor smiled and said have a nice day. Then we got a bill for $32,000 in the mail. It was eventually busted down to 13k, which is what we projected we owed as a normal course of business (business was up that year). But it took almost six months to get it fixed.
Don't be such a tease. How does a small answer + 1 smile = $32k?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't be such a tease. How does a small answer + 1 smile = $32k?
In this case, it was with work comp classifications. They misconstrued (purposefully I believe) and categorized everyone in the company at the riskiest classification. You have to be careful, because you can't even say some job classes step on the jobsite ever. The rules state if they step on the jobsite, even 100 feet away for five minutes, once in a year, then they are classed at the higher rate. Any exposure to that higher risk means complete exposure. The difference between the job classes was over 15% of payroll for each person. So if a guy made 50k as an Estimator, this meant I owed 6k more from the change in classifications. Hell, they even had my Secretary at the highest classification. Simply put, my lowest exposure class was less than 1%, and highest was almost 20. They had everyone and the dog classed at the 20ish rate. It was a mess.

Whenever they come and look at the numbers, whether it's insurance, or tax audit, they come with the most ridiculous projections. Some of them can even raise what you must pay now, based on what they project your business will do next year, and that's legal. We had one Auditor raise our monthly projections by like 50%, which meant about 10k in extra payments in that year. We took the company to the State Review Board, and the state showed me the section of law supporting the Auditor.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No, you don't. Only supplies that aren't for re-sale (e.g. gloves)

FWIW the rule on employee meals has changed several times and I think currently it is okay to give free meals w/o tracking the tax once again, but I just have an official policy that they get 75% off.
Oh you are a food establishment, I thought you were something else and you just catered lunch to them. That's why I was confused.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
For those of you who own businesses. Do you find that your sales go up each year? I'm just sitting here feeling like a failure. I've got some friends who own a women's clothing store/air plant store and they have just been crushing me in sales this month. They've got essentially the same square feet. But like today did $3100 and closed early to go out to dinner with family. And I've got 2 hours to go but have only done $1600. Now they've been in business for 20 years at this point. They also pay 4k a month in rent to be in a high traffic neighborhood in Seattle. My rent is is only 1k. I won't know if I've done more in sales till the end of his month. But I've got two Decembers worth of data. First year was 19k in December. Last year was 25k. This year. I'm at 17.6k so far this month. I feel like I'm behind. Yet my friends in a different industry are doing better than last year etc.
My wife and I own a clothing boutique in California. Been going for coming up on 3 years and we've had about 25% growth every year so far. It's such a different industry though. From what you've been saying I think you're doing pretty good - a lot of business get fucked with dept and startup costs and if you're all paid off across the board that really helps. My wife and I worked our assess off for 5 years to save up 50k and we bootstrapped our store with that, so we've also got no debt. Currently we're moving into a larger location, doubling our square feet. Rent is going from 2k to 5k a month but we we're capping on daily sales and having trouble keeping inventory up with our old 1100 square foot space.

We've had a month or two we're growth was negligable and just comparing 1 month to the previous years, that shit can be chalked up to weather, holidays falling on weird days, different promotions ect. It start to get concerned if you're dropping 10%+ month after month from the previous year with no end in sight. How much are you up for the whole year compared to last (can't remember if you've been in business for 2 full years now).

p.s. FUUUUCCKKKK taxes

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
i'll be interested to hear how the move goes for you Kiroy. I think about the same thing. I'm just worried that I'll expand and make less profit. Right now I'm capping out my space too so to speak, but I'd rather be super effecient with 1k sqft than not very efficient with 2-3k.

Last year ran flat for me sales wise. Profit I was up quite a bit. But overall sales were only about 275k again. This month I'm up quite a bit. I've been running more sales, staying up on the weekly newsletters etc. Basically I'm at last years sales numbers for this month with 30% of the month to go. Spreadsheet projections put me at 36k for this month which would be my best month ever and it's even a short month. We'll see how it goes. Last year I had 3 competitors close their doors from bad sales. I think it was our super long summer was just the nail in the coffin for them. Being Seattle we literally had less rain than the Sahara desert over the summer. Now we've got the most rain ever recorded in a winter since they've been recording... So it makes it hard to predict what I should be doing.

If I buy in to Koi right now there are perks. However if it rains all summer koi sales will be low and tropical fish sales will be up. It's no different for you I'm sure as I know the weather messed up all my clothing retail buddies too, saying it's too hot to be selling sweaters etc.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Corndog, I would figure out what you plan to gain precisely, then figure out what you will do if most of it doesn't happen.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Corndog, I think your efforts to be more efficient are definitely a driving force for your ability to see the same amount of sales but increase your profit. Figure as long as you control what you know you can control, you can absorb some minor bad decisions on product. Last year a gaming shop (Magic, board games, rpg) opened up nearby, the only one in the area I'm in. He's been killing it but even he has a "discount table" of things that just aren't selling.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i'll be interested to hear how the move goes for you Kiroy. I think about the same thing. I'm just worried that I'll expand and make less profit. Right now I'm capping out my space too so to speak, but I'd rather be super effecient with 1k sqft than not very efficient with 2-3k.

Last year ran flat for me sales wise. Profit I was up quite a bit. But overall sales were only about 275k again. This month I'm up quite a bit. I've been running more sales, staying up on the weekly newsletters etc. Basically I'm at last years sales numbers for this month with 30% of the month to go. Spreadsheet projections put me at 36k for this month which would be my best month ever and it's even a short month. We'll see how it goes. Last year I had 3 competitors close their doors from bad sales. I think it was our super long summer was just the nail in the coffin for them. Being Seattle we literally had less rain than the Sahara desert over the summer. Now we've got the most rain ever recorded in a winter since they've been recording... So it makes it hard to predict what I should be doing.

If I buy in to Koi right now there are perks. However if it rains all summer koi sales will be low and tropical fish sales will be up. It's no different for you I'm sure as I know the weather messed up all my clothing retail buddies too, saying it's too hot to be selling sweaters etc.
We'll see in 6 months or so. Our biggest motivator was we'd be blowing through inventory so fast that the customers who didn't happen to time it right were getting frustrated that we'd be out of a product we'd just posted that morning. Now we're in a spot with a couple hundred square foot office / storage area that we're going to be in a lot more control of feeding new arrivals out. I hate the thought of having inventory on stand by in storage, because it's literally just money sitting there doing nothing, but I think it's going to make our customers and employees a lot happier.

Another big factor was that on sale days, shopping holidays and the month leading into Christmas, having room for a 2nd employee running a 2nd checkout line is going to be huge. Our cap on crazy busy days was about 5-6k in sales and with this new store it's going to be at least 10-12k since we can surge out another computer for a second line.

We may have pulled the trigger about a year earlier then I really wanted too, but the space we moved into was going to be gone by them and since we were only a few years into our lease we couldn't have moved anywhere else (nor would we really want to), so we just said yolo and went for it knowing that in a year or two we were going to be kicking ourselves if we didn't.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My wife and I own a clothing boutique in California...
Where about if you don't mind. I'm currently in Orange County, but have lived near Monterey, San Jose, and Sacramento/farther north. Curious to get an idea of the market you're in.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I currently have about 950 sqft sales area. I also have a unit like 4 doors down from mine that is storage. another 700 sqft roughly. One thing I feel like I've noticed. If my stock is too heavy in store customers get the impression I'm not selling it. If it's a fish and I have 300 of them in a tank. No one can tell the difference between 100 and 300 honestly. I could have already sold 100 of them that day and people will make comments like "not selling those much huh? At the same time I don't want to only have 2 cans of fish food on the shelf and have it look like we can't afford to have more. I feel like there is a fine line to ride. It seems like the more I have of something the less I sell it. So I have to feed it out to the sales floor slowly. I always explain it to my employees like that old rice krispy treat commercial. Where the customers buys the last one. As soon as they walk out they put 1 more into the sales box. To set up the same trick for the next customer.

I've definitely seen it happen in my store. If I have a big number, they say they'll think about it and come back. If its the last one, they end up buying it out of fear if they realize they did want it, it'll be gone.

So my goal in getting more space would be to offer more variety of products instead of just straight up more products on the sales floor. I too sometimes wish I had a second register. However I feel like each level you go up, more is expected. Like will people bitch more about slow checkout if there are 2 registers and 1 person rings up faster than the other one? All of a sudden they are angry they chose the slow line etc.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Having that storage area is nice. We had about 25sqft of storage in the store for products (basically nothing, few boxes). Luckily we live 10 minute away from the store so we can keep the extra cleaning supplies ect at home, but that's still a pain in the ass. It's really interesting about your stocking issues and it makes sense.

How often do you do sales? We're pretty anti sale unless it's getting rid of past seasons stuff or it's our store anniversary. We've been super paranoid about training our customers to wait out the sale. Seems like other boutiques in the area are running their whole business around promotions, sales, buy one get one, that kinda stuff.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So oddly enough I was totally anti promo sales too. Basically like maybe 1 a year on black friday. I was convinced that it trains customers to wait for sales etc also. However over the past few months I've been running some sales. What I found was it does bring more people in my doors. The trick is to run sales on items that have huge profit margins. Then get people to buy other stuff at full price.

My fear was that if I sell stuff as a discount people will only need so many fish right? Like how many sweaters do people really need to buy? But the reality is people overbuy on items all the time. So they might kill fish, decide they don't like them etc. For you it might be that this years sweaters are out of fashion next year etc. What I don't do is put things on sale that are evergreen. So for you that might be don't put socks on discount cause once someone buys 50 pairs, they're set for years etc. But maybe bekinis are a good item to do what with cause it's likely they'll want a different one for next year or be a different size etc.

So I've been doing a promo each weekend with newsletters through email to compliment it each weekend this month. This is by far my most profitable month I've had so far. This last weekend. Fri-Sunday. I ran a promo that all live plants were 50% off. This still allowed me to double my money as plants are a higher profit margin item with low risk. Where as fish have a high risk for me. Between Fri-Sunday we did 7.2k in sales. You'd think it'd all be in plants right? Only $2350 of it was plants. The rest was fish, and products etc. I'm more and amazed at each sale how people do buy the sale items but load up on other stuff while they are there. I did two other sales this month so far and the results were the same.

I think now my problem is finding items to put on sale to get people in without training my customers. Like you don't want plants to go on sale once a month but maybe once ever 3 months would be ok. So you almost need to set a schedule of promos for the year. I think it will change the way I do business. Now when a vendor offers a promo. I won't analyze the promo from a standpoint of how many should I buy and sell at normal profit. I'll be looking at it and see if it's worth investing in to have it be a weekend promo to get people in my door.

I think we all know that sales at stores generate them money. We just think, I don't think it'll work in my store. You focus on the people who come in and only buy the sale item and leave.. And go man this is stupid. But when you look at overall big data you see that it is more profitable. I'm interested to see how it can change other things too like customer recency. Typically before running sales my customers would come in once every 3 weeks. If I can get them back two weekends in a row with back to back sales on different items and they buy extras each time, how is that not just added revenue.

It does hurt to hear the customer say, this sale is so timely I was about to buy one of these. You feel like oh good I just gave away money, but if others are buying too who wouldn't have normally it is totally making up for it. It's not like I've invented the wheel, it's known that this works, I think as a small business I just felt like it wouldn't work for me cause I don't have the buying power/can't get a good enough deal to not loose my shirt. When in fact that was just me making excuses not to find products to do it with.

I had my most profitable day ever this month. Was close to the most sales ever. But highest sales day was a black friday. This day was close but the profit was WAY higher cause I did like a normal sale instead of giving away too much at a black Friday.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
When it comes to discounting there definitely is a fine line between increasing traffic/frequency/avg.-ticket versus cannibalizing your sales. Something I fight with constantly in pizza, especially since I'm more of a high-quality operation but Pizza Hut/Dominos/Little Caesars have trained customers to think that pizza is supposed to be super cheap and constantly bombard customers with coupons.

To that end, what has worked well for me on the discounting end is developing package deals that offer a good discount, but start at a higher price-point than my typical avg. net ticket. Customer feels like they get a great value but I still get a bit more cash out of them than they otherwise might have spent.