Adventures with Corndog: Corndog's Fish Store

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yup it is a tough line to figure out, and we make a distinction between sales and promo's. A couple times last year we had a "bring your girlfriend in and you both get 20% off one item" type thing. We get a ton of new customers which will payback any margin dips from the sale hundreds of times over. We also do a 20% off one item on your birthday coupon, which builds our mailing list. And then we do a real sale once a year on our anniversary date of opening, and a little sale on small business Saturday (nothing for black friday). Next year for small business Saturday I think we're going to do 10 or 20% of your purchase total gets donated to x charity (gotta figure out what). My wife and I both dislike the whole made up black Friday cyber Monday and even small business Saturday thing.

Another interesting thing to think about, is what would the difference be if the margins lost during a sale (say a whole years worth of sales) was instead used for marketing. Maybe it would be enough to buy a small radio spot, or enough to get one of those picture adds that scroll before movies in the theater. In the end it's pretty hard to figure out which is better. Doing both in an efficient way would be the best strategy but for us small guys w/o whole departments figuring shit out it's pretty hard to optimize like the big guys. Lucky for us, at least in clothing, the people with disposable income seem to be getting pretty tired of big box stores, chains, malls ect.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
In my experience running a sale on small business saturday was laughable compared to black friday. I maintain that everyone is already broke by Saturday and or shopped out from Friday. So I run the sale starting black friday, anything left over for small business saturday. This lets people choose. I ran two small business saturdays and sales were up a bit. I ran 1 black friday event. And easily the biggest sales day I've ever had. Lines of people at the door to get in when we opened etc.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Funnely enough small business sat has either been or first our second best sales day each year, only being beat by our anniversery sale/party. And our black fri has been above average with doing nothing. We have a ton of small business focused shoppers in the area and a pretty dedicated fan base so that helps. Maybe we capture the anti black fri folks. Totally different retail space though. Would be curious to here about your clothing store friends experience with it.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
So just wanted to chime in and say promos/sales are totally working. Biggest month ever last month. If things continue this month. I'll crush last month by 8k.... Which last month was 35k.. So 8k is a huge precentage boost in sales.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So just wanted to chime in and say promos/sales are totally working. Biggest month ever last month. If things continue this month. I'll crush last month by 8k.... Which last month was 35k.. So 8k is a huge precentage boost in sales.
Just be cautious about setting expectations with your customers. Example - Hobby Lobby sells everything for decor at half off, they rotate through 4-6 categories and each week one of them will be on sale. I won't buy anything without the sale. If I'm super motivated because I like something I'll look up the 40% coupon. I've never bought anything at HL without 40%+ off because it's so consistent there's no reason not to.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Just be cautious about setting expectations with your customers. Example - Hobby Lobby sells everything for decor at half off, they rotate through 4-6 categories and each week one of them will be on sale. I won't buy anything without the sale. If I'm super motivated because I like something I'll look up the 40% coupon. I've never bought anything at HL without 40%+ off because it's so consistent there's no reason not to.
That's why we stay away from a lot of promo's. But if your average margins are still there who gives a shit really.

btw update on our boutique move - it's gone beyond wildest expectations and we're gonna end the month at more than double last years March. A lot of it has to do with new store hype but I expected it to slow down and it hasn't. Next month will be interesting.

edit: da fuck I just got negged for this - guess i'm getting too vocal in the politics thread

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
My goal is to come up with a differnet promo/sale every week so they don't repeat in a year. Which will be difficult. But I agree that if every 3rd weekend is half off live fish. I'll have a problem on my hands. The weird part is, I'm seeing record sales but the items I put on sale, while are selling higher than normal are like 1/4 or less of the total sales for the weekend.

I did a live plant sale. I ay $1.35 for the plant, normal price is 7.99. My sale was 50% off. And people were lined up outside like it was black friday. Sold essentially 500 plants. So that is 2k of revenue. Store did 8k on the weekend.

The lighting sale I did wasn't as good as the live plants. But I got the manufacturer to give me 10% off. Then I gave 20% off to my customers. I sold 3k worth of lights and did 7.5k on the weekend.

Before the sales. I would count on doing 3k on the weekend. 5k would be a good weekend. Now I'm disapointed if I don't hit 4k on Saturday alone etc. So while yes it is a slippery slope. I think the thing to watch out for is buyer fatigue. Them running out of things to buy.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My goal is to come up with a differnet promo/sale every week so they don't repeat in a year. Which will be difficult. But I agree that if every 3rd weekend is half off live fish. I'll have a problem on my hands. The weird part is, I'm seeing record sales but the items I put on sale, while are selling higher than normal are like 1/4 or less of the total sales for the weekend.

I did a live plant sale. I ay $1.35 for the plant, normal price is 7.99. My sale was 50% off. And people were lined up outside like it was black friday. Sold essentially 500 plants. So that is 2k of revenue. Store did 8k on the weekend.

The lighting sale I did wasn't as good as the live plants. But I got the manufacturer to give me 10% off. Then I gave 20% off to my customers. I sold 3k worth of lights and did 7.5k on the weekend.

Before the sales. I would count on doing 3k on the weekend. 5k would be a good weekend. Now I'm disapointed if I don't hit 4k on Saturday alone etc. So while yes it is a slippery slope. I think the thing to watch out for is buyer fatigue. Them running out of things to buy.
That's not weird. That's called an attach rate, and is a big reason why stores do sales in the first place. If you aren't doing this already, you can also build combos for a set rate as well. Buy 1 seawater clown fish for $49 or buy the fish, a tank, a filter, some food, and some floor toys for $199 (Ordinarily $249 if sold separately or whatever).

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That's not weird. That's called an attach rate, and is a big reason why stores do sales in the first place. If you aren't doing this already, you can also build combos for a set rate as well. Buy 1 seawater clown fish for $49 or buy the fish, a tank, a filter, some food, and some floor toys for $199 (Ordinarily $249 if sold separately or whatever).
That's a great idea. Gonna talk to the wife about this - buy a whole outfit (top, bottoms, shoes, accessory) and get 20% off. We're really scared of training people to wait for deals though, so it would have to be like a twice/thrice a year random thing for historically slower weeks.

edit: wife loves it

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That's a great idea. Gonna talk to the wife about this - buy a whole outfit (top, bottoms, shoes, accessory) and get 20% off. We're really scared of training people to wait for deals though, so it would have to be like a twice/thrice a year random thing for historically slower weeks.

edit: wife loves it
Happy to help.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Corndog you're in seattle right? How many employees do you have and how will Seattle's min wage effect your operation? We're in CA and have till 2022 until we go up to 15 bucks an hour but it's looking like seattle's is going up to 15 a little faster.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Corndog you're in seattle right? How many employees do you have and how will Seattle's min wage effect your operation? We're in CA and have till 2022 until we go up to 15 bucks an hour but it's looking like seattle's is going up to 15 a little faster.
There is an initiative that will be on the ballot to take all of WA to $13.50 by 2020 (and $11.00 in 2017). It's going to pass. For me, that means I have to find a way to cover ~$75,000 in extra wages if I do nothing next year, and $200k by 2020 if every employee received the same $-per-hour raise that those at minimum wage would get. Every time I've ever raised prices I suffer from trade-downs, meaning that whatever % I raise my prices I lose that same % of transactions. Generally if I am doing a price increase I try to not exceed 5% because anything after that and my transaction losses exceed my price gains.

My other choices are to cut my own salary (sorry, I can't afford to make $75k less a year), lower the wage gap between my entry level employees and those who have been with the company a long time/management (I don't need to cover $75k if I don't give my employees above minimum wage the same $ increase) or cut hours (if I have to pay you more than you are going to have to do more with less).

FWIW I have exactly 6 employees, including myself (out of ~50), who actually need to support a family on this job. The rest are either dependents (including those going to college) or second incomes. Of those 6 all of them earn more than $13.50 an hour, or over $4 more than minimum wage, currently. The only employees I pay minimum wage are new hires, they get raises immediately upon completing training under our current wage structure.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So what do you think you're going to do? A combo of all those choices I'd imagine.

Very frustrating and I wish they'd make some sort of age gate to this 'livable' minimum wage. Luckily my store, and I assume corn's store, isn't so payroll dependent. I can't imagine what it's going to be like for you.

We hire young girls fresh out of high school and start them at 11 bucks, our main girl who has been with us since the start and we never want to lose, is up to 16 bucks an hour and will probably be close to 20 bucks an hour in a couple years. The thing I can't wrap my head around is paying some girl who has no retail experience and a who knows what for work ethic 15 bucks an hour. Everyone on reddit is like durr durr here comes automation but don't seam to realize the ma and pa urban area businesses are going to be taking up the butt with this stuff. Why does a 19 year old college student living with her parents need a living wage?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Well the X factor will be that there will supposedly be a whole lot more dollars up for grab circulating in the economy. Generally we are of a higher quality and don't service low income earners, but hopefully we can capture some of that. My fear is that if not everyone is receiving a proportional wage increase (so for example, if you currently make let's say $15 an hour but don't receive a 16% wage increase come 2017, your buying power relative to the minimum wage will be decreased) that there will be less dollars available at the quality tiers above the bottom of the barrel.

But yeah, I will have to do a combination of everything and look to automate where I can. Unfortunately when it comes to technology (or pricing for that matter) I simply cannot compete with the economies-of-scale that the giant chains benefit from. It's not like minimum wage increases are new for me, there have been automatic minimum wage increases with the CPI since 1995, but nothing of the scale of what has been proposed. When the economy has allowed, I take pricing, I've lowered the wage gap (my supervisors/managers used to average 40% more-per-hour than minimum wage before 1995, now that number is 20%) and I've taken several pay-cuts of my own, in a business that doesn't make you a whole lot of money in the first place. In all honesty I'm kind of looking to get out of the industry all together, but it isn't exactly a seller's market out there when it comes to businesses, especially restaurants. Might have to find some way to establish myself in some sort of niche or hope the consumer trends adjust accordingly and proportionally with the wage increases.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm up to 4 employees now.

Longest worker is at $15.50
Next is $13
Next is $10.25
Next is $13

So I've been planning this the whole time. My thoughts from the beginning of my business were, I need to make a way that my employees can make a living from me. If not I'll have high turn over. That is what lead me to open my own store as running a store for someone else would have never allowed me to buy a house etc. I pretty much pay the best vs all my competition. While I don't like necessarily paying more, I'm not against it either. A lot my competitors are struggling, as wage increases it only tightens the stranglehold on them. I think as wages go up and the press is there, companies will be able to charge more. I mean really even fast food places here are expensive compared to say 10 years ago. My lunch yesterday was north of $7 and I didn't upsize, or order anything ridiculous. People are seeing prices go up on everything. I think the hardest part will be business owners making the transition and people who already make over $15 getting angry.

If $15 was mandatory tomorrow. I'd let one of my $13 people go. And bump the other two up to $15. Then profit share with the one who has been here the longest.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Opiate82, is the new wage law just going to affect back of the house workers, or are wait staff also going up to 15/hr as well? If it's the former you can try to transition more back of the house work to the wait staff (bussing, dish washing, floors, etc) if you haven't already.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Opiate82, is the new wage law just going to affect back of the house workers, or are wait staff also going up to 15/hr as well? If it's the former you can try to transition more back of the house work to the wait staff (bussing, dish washing, floors, etc) if you haven't already.
We aren't formal sit-down, we are more of quick serve but do have a much more substantial dine-in business than your typical pizza parlor. So typically the customer's order at the front counter. While we don't have a formal wait-staff we will have employees circulating the dining area offering to clear dishes, refills, sell more beers, etc.

In-house tips are already pooled, delivery drivers get to keep all of their tips but they drive their own vehicles (we do also pay each driver per delivery to cover gas and typical wear-and-tear on the vehicle).

But yes, all employees have to get paid minimum wage regardless of tips, so restaurants that do have wait-staff would have to pay that rate. No tip-credit here in WA.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
You'll be raising prices, like all other business owners will. And the employees you have that are weaker, you'll cut them. The Obama administration knows that this will end in inflation, I remember reading a statement from whoever his lead Economic advisor is. We'll all be paying for a $15 min wage. You must raise prices or go out of business.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Other business owners, do you mow your own yard? I've always been in the camp of hell if I'm gonna pay someone to mow my yard! It only takes like 30 minutes. I'll do it myself better... But now I feel like those 30 minutes could be much better used on my own business and finding time where it's not raining and lining up with my schedule where I could actually mow is proving difficult. I'm thinking it just starts becoming business decisions for simple home tasks like mowing the lawn at this point.