Adventures with lyrical - buying a business

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
27 with a graduate degree. I work at a university though, so I have access to the university library. I"ve actually got a couple of reference books on order that should pop into my mailbox sometime this week.

I say I"m not in a position financially to make a jump because I just bought a house a year ago, I"m paying a student loan, etc. I"ve got to get those ducks in a row first, and I need time to learn the necessary business skills. I"m really wishing I would have taken the extra year to double up and get an MBA while I was in grad school, but I didn"t know about the program until the semester I graduated. It"s possible I could go back and finish in a fairly short number of hours, but it would be a hard sell for my job (the school will pay for classes if I can sell it as part of my current career).

Zeste_foh

shitlord
If you read this guys site, he says you don"t "need" an MBA. It"s got a ton of pretty interesting information. Basically, he says everything you need to know, you can learn on your own.

The Personal MBA: Get a World-Class Business Education

I don"t know what your personal financials are, but if you can"t come up with cash-money for 20% of what you want to borrow, I wouldn"t even plan on a bank talking at all.

When it comes to banks, they really only care about your ability to repay, the loan to value ration of what you"re buying against what you"re borrowing, and the cashflow to make the payments.

The banks got burned by loaning out too much money without taking enough collateral, and they just aren"t doing it anymore.

So say, you find a building that suits you, and it"s 300,000. Then, you price out all the equipment you need to run a brew-pub (I presume you"ll have a bar and some seating?). Let"s say that"s another 200,000.

So you"re into it 500,000. But, you"ll need money to buy all of your supplies, inventory, and your payroll for the first few months. So that"s another 100,000.

So, you figure you can open this brew-pub for 600,000 (even if it"s not a pub and just the brewery). The banks are going to look at this and say:

"We will loan you $240,000 for your building. We will be in first mortgage posistion on your building, and we expect you to come up with the remaining $60,000 out of your pocket. We will also loan you $80,000 for your equipment, and expect you to come up with $120,000 out of your pocket. We will not loan you any startup, inventory or payroll."

So now, to open your $600,000 dollar endeavour, you need $280,000 cash out of pocket. That"s just a ballpark scenario where they are going
1) 80% LTV on real estate
2) 40% LTV on equipment (this could be higher if brewing stuff has a stable value)
3) Nothing on liquid startup and operating budget.

It"s pretty daunting. It used to be, banks would loan you alot more, but they got burned. So now, they"re sticking with the "20% down" pretty hard, so if they have to repo it, they don"t go backwards. And any money they lend that isn"t collateralized with something, they MIGHT do a personal guarantee, where basically you sign that your home, car, personal property... that all guarantees the loan.

I have a SBA loan for 16k that has no collateral other than my Personal Guarantee, which means I said I"d let them repo/sell anything I personally own if my business can"t pay it"s bills. They gave me this SBA in 2007 for 25k just on my personal guarantee and my business cashflow, I had no assets.

Today, that SBA program doesn"t even exist and they"d never, ever make that loan to me now, even though I make more money and have more assets.

The first thing a lender asks nowdays is "When this guy fails, what can I repo and sell to get my money back?" Real estate is best, expensive equipment is second best. Tables, chairs, printers... all worthless.

You can basically decide what you can borrow by what you can come up with in cash. And by cash, I just mean non-bank loans. If you can convince grandma to loan you 50k, you can use that as "cash" for the down payment, but borrowing 80% from a bank, and 20% from a private party still puts you at 100% leveraged and pretty much fucked in the event of a mishap.

I know it sounds like I"m trying to talk you out of it, but I"m not. The opposite in fact. I am involved in this process right now, and it"s just one butt-fuck after another.

But, there"s nothing better than owning a successful, profitable business.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yup, that all sounds pretty spot on from what I"ve learned so far. It"s very daunting, which I guess is why more people don"t own their own businesses.

As for an MBA, I"m sure a lot of it can be learned on your own. I only mention it because I had a good opportunity to get one in about an extra year, and I didn"t learn about it until it was too late.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heylel Teomim said:
27 with a graduate degree. I work at a university though, so I have access to the university library. I"ve actually got a couple of reference books on order that should pop into my mailbox sometime this week.
As much time and money as I"ve invested in my MBA, I"d like to say it necessary, but it isn"t. I"ve been around business people that had degrees, versus the ones that flunked out of high school, and alot of time, there isn"t much difference. I guarantee you though that the guy that flunked out of high school but is making bank is a guy who worked his way up in a business from the ground floor. The owner took notice of him, made him a manager, and taught him how to make decisions. He"s got a training by the school of hard knocks. Some of the wealthiest guys I know graduated only from the school of hard knocks.

Working at a university gives you a great advantage. You can look at the syllabi for the various disciplines, and do the reading and homework at your own pace. I"d say that a base level course in entrepeneurialism, accounting, marketing, finance, management, operations, and microeconomics would be a great start. From there, you can tailor your own study.

As an alumni of the University of Texas, to this day, I can still go online and see what is on the syllabi of what they are teaching.

Zeste_foh

shitlord
DisgruntledOrangatang said:
What business are you opening Zeste?
Well, I am still pretty far off from "starting" a business. It"s just something me and my friend are exploring.

Basically, the plan is for me to buy this building at a steal, it"s a bank foreclosure. Then, I lease the building to my partner, who starts a restaurant in it. I also own 50% of the restaurant business.

My partner is a restaurant guru and has already opened a successful place which is still doing great. Our problem is that while I can get approved for the building purchase, he/we aren"t finding a dime of venture capital to blow on equipment, inventory, and payroll.

There"s very little chance we"ll be able to do it, the economy is just too tight, and neither of us have any liquid cash. But it"s a invigorating process and really educational.

Aetos_foh

shitlord
I guess I too am in the same boat. I"m open to critiques but this is just the plan I got one day. A friend and I are forming an LLC, then applying for a federal fire arms license all from home. The plan is to start off small, doing transfers and occasionally selling guns on order for $25-$40 above dealer cost. Obviously at this rate we won"t be netting 305k this year or anytime soon, but to generate some side income with next to no overhead would be pretty nice. Total cost would be less than $500 split two ways.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Zeste said:
Well, I am still pretty far off from "starting" a business. It"s just something me and my friend are exploring.

Basically, the plan is for me to buy this building at a steal, it"s a bank foreclosure. Then, I lease the building to my partner, who starts a restaurant in it. I also own 50% of the restaurant business.

My partner is a restaurant guru and has already opened a successful place which is still doing great. Our problem is that while I can get approved for the building purchase, he/we aren"t finding a dime of venture capital to blow on equipment, inventory, and payroll.

There"s very little chance we"ll be able to do it, the economy is just too tight, and neither of us have any liquid cash. But it"s a invigorating process and really educational.
Here"s another idea. Find a building that had a restaurant in it, and then lease that out. That way, you"ll already have the equipment. Forget the idea of owning the building right now, but put in the lease an option to buy. That way, if the business goes south, at least you won"t owe all the remaining money on a lease and will be able to walk away somewhat unscathed. On the flip side, if it does well, then you can excercise the option to buy, and at the price you set. Its basic option theory from Finance.

My uncle and cousin did this. My cousin went to some high fallutin" culinary school, and worked in various four star restaurants around the country. He learned everything he could about the business side while he was working. A few years later, he moved home, and they bought an existing restaurant.

They did pretty well at this for several years, until the economy hit them in the face. It turns out that high-end high-dollar restaurants make alot of money in the good times, but go under in the bad. People just aren"t will to go pay $25-30 a plate any more. They still eat out, but they"ll go downstream to restaurants where they can pay $15-20 a plate.

Candiarie_foh

shitlord
Heylel Teomim said:
My dad and my uncle both own their own businesses, so I"ll be asking them about the process as well. It"s something I"ve wanted to do for a long time (be self-employed), I just never really found a niche for something I could do all the time without it not feeling like work until recently. It may sound strange, but I"d really like to open a craft brewery.

I don"t have hard numbers, but it"s definitely the sort of business that would require considerable assets. I"m also not sure how difficult it is to get started in my state since Georgia has some very draconian laws about distribution of alcohol that tend to favor established businesses. It *can* be done, and has been quite successfully by a couple of companies (Sweetwater, Terrapin, etc), but start ups get caught in a catch-22 of not being able to distribute without a distributor, and no distributor will give you the time of day because you"re known well-known.

Like I said, I"m just looking into it recently, and it wouldn"t be for a couple years before I could wrangle the cash together for very much. I just want to learn more about it.
Where have you been reading about opening up breweries? I thought one of the homebrew forums had a section dedicated to people going commercial but I can"t find it now. I seem to remember a thread awhile ago about some dude who just started out of his house in a 45 gal fermenter or something and slowly got all the licenses and labels worked out. This is something I"ve thought about doing for awhile, but I want to graduate first. If only so I have the spare capital to increase my capacity.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It"s possible to do that in some states but not others. Georgia has fairly strict three-tier laws preventing a brewer from selling directly to retailers or the public. You have to go through a distributor; the basically have legal monopolies. Getting a distributor to talk to you when your volume is low is pretty much impossible. There"s been a lobby to change the laws in Georgia for some time, but it isn"t likely in the near future. Hell, we just gained the ability to buy >6% beers in the last couple of years. Before that they were illegal.

Candiarie_foh

shitlord
Heylel Teomim said:
It"s possible to do that in some states but not others. Georgia has fairly strict three-tier laws preventing a brewer from selling directly to retailers or the public. You have to go through a distributor; the basically have legal monopolies. Getting a distributor to talk to you when your volume is low is pretty much impossible. There"s been a lobby to change the laws in Georgia for some time, but it isn"t likely in the near future. Hell, we just gained the ability to buy >6% beers in the last couple of years. Before that they were illegal.
Yeah Kentucky is like that as well. There are a few distributors in the city but I"m not sure at all how open they are to stocking incredibly low quantities. Keep us posted as your figure out more, that sounds like pretty rough odds.

I also found this resource when I was looking around:Home Brew Forums - Registration

Zeste_foh

shitlord
Heylel Teomim said:
Utah can only sell 3% beers in grocery/convenience stores.

For anything stronger, liquor included, you have to go to the state-run liquor stores. But, they can"t sell any out of state domestic beers, so there"s not a single Bud Light in the state that is more than 3%. There are alot of imports and Utah beers that are 6% and up, but again, you can only get those in the liquor stores and bars. And there"s MAYBE 1 liquor store per county.

Were you planning on having seating for customers, and having some of your beers on tap? Or is this just a brewery and not a bar?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
In my head, a brewery with a small "public" area for doing tastings and eventually a tour. The law draws a distinction between a bar, a brewery and a brew pub. Basically, a bar can purchase liquor and beer from distributors but is forbidden to produce their own. A brewery can produce beer, but can"t sell it to the public. A brew pub can do both, but there is a limit to the amount you can brew in a year, and you can only sell to customers on the premises and only in draft form. You can"t bottle anything, or distribute it to retail stores etc. You"re also required to sell beers from your competitors, you can"t just sell your house beer only. It"s all very draconian as a result of Prohibition decades ago.

The one thing breweries can legally do is open their brewery up to the public and build a tasting room. Under those circumstances, you can sell directly to the public and let them taste your product without a middleman. You can"t directly accept cash though, you can only provide tokens in exchange for admittance, which are then cashed in for drinks. Yes, it"s silly, but it also provides a great opportunity to build a community around your product.

A brew pub might be more feasible in that you can run your business on lower volume, but you"re basically opening two businesses at once: the brewery and the restaurant. Georgia also requires that a certain percentage of your sales come from food, so you"re quickly looking at a larger staff, kitchen requirements, and all the nonsense that comes with a restaurant that wouldn"t otherwise be part of a brewing operation. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I"m not cut out for all that. However, I haven"t discarded the thought entirely of looking for a partner who knows the restaurant side of things. That means splitting ownership and potential profits, but it also would mean bringing someone on board with real expertise who could potentially run a tight kitchen.

As I"ve said, this is still kinda forming in my head. I just know that I absolutely love brewing, I love hosting people, getting into the community etc. I"d jump at the chance to take all of that into business.

Gauss_foh

shitlord
I don"t have hard numbers, but it"s definitely the sort of business that would require considerable assets. I"m also not sure how difficult it is to get started in my state since Georgia has some very draconian laws about distribution of alcohol that tend to favor established businesses. It *can* be done, and has been quite successfully by a couple of companies (Sweetwater, Terrapin, etc), but start ups get caught in a catch-22 of not being able to distribute without a distributor, and no distributor will give you the time of day because you"re known well-known.
We definitely need more of these in town. Going to Portland really opened my eyes about how awesome having local breweries is.

On a somewhat related note to this thread, it"s a long shot, but has anyone ever tried getting a government small business grant (such asSBIR - Small Business Innovation Research) ? It"s a little unclear to me whether people that aren"t professors can get these things.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I"m paid for grant work in my current career. It tends to be money that gets funneled to non-profits for various pilot programs. I don"t think that means it can"t go to private enterprise, but typically it doesn"t.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So after getting off to a rocky start this year by losing about 25k (after you add back in payments to owner and the bank, etc) through March, the last two months have been pretty good. We made 14k last month, and we"ll end up making 15kish this month. Things are getting back to normal after a rougher than normal Winter.

The biggest litmus test for how business is doing is how far ahead we are booked in the future. Right now, we are booked two weeks out, so that might be a little bit of a problem. For some reason, people didn"t get their work done in the Winter, and its like there is this pent up demand. People are calling in and approving estimates that we ran this Winter, and new people are calling in, getting estimates done, and approving on the spot. Tihs Winter, if they called in at all, they got a price estimate, and then sat on the paper for a few months. Now they are just signing up on the spot. We just picked up $7,600 in work in the last few hours.

The tough thing is that a good portion of them are demanding that the work is done within the next 48 hours, or they will go elsewhere. Maybe its because we are getting alot of new customers, internet hits have picked up, and I"ve started advertising in the newspaper. Our loyal customers seem to be more patient, but the new people don"t know us, and they seem to have no tolerance to wait.

The problem with being booked two weeks is that I am running lean and mean staff-wise. I am only running 1.5 crews right now, and if don"t watch it, the two week wait can get to one month, or even two months backlog(it happened last year in the Spring). We hired a guy last week, and at this current rate, may need to hire another guy in the next couple of weeks. We are getting customer complaints about having to wait. All of this rain hasn"t helped either, we"ve lost 1/3 of the month to rain days.

So, after a tough Winter, it looks like things are back to normal. It was one of the coldest Winters on record where we are, and for the most part, for landscaping, the more people are in their yards, the more they notice they need work. No one left the house this Winter other than to go to work and run errands.

They talk about the importance of having working capital in b-school, but until you own your own business, you don"t see it. I remember when I was a Penn State, the weather got to 30 below for a couple of weeks. No one went to the bars, and when it warmed up, many of our favorite watering holes had shut the doors for good. That always stuck with me. You have to have cash to weather (no pun intended) the bad times.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I still really have to go back through this whole thread.

I"ll just say that in the last 3 months of 2009 and first 3 months of 2010 we lost about 300k. So don"t feel too bad! Thankfully we"ve picked up a couple large, long term projects that shouldn"t have much risk. The construction market is still slow here so we don"t have much mark-up on them, but like I said they"re large projects for established contractors and owners, so there shouldn"t be any surprises that send things sideways. *cross fingers*

Thankfully in April we made about 125k, mostly because we shipped a lot of equipment and materials to a couple projects and we were under-progressed up till then and caught back up.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eomer said:
I"ll just say that in the last 3 months of 2009 and first 3 months of 2010 we lost about 300k.
I don"t know what happened at the end of 09, considering we did so well at the first part of the year. But yeah, the last three months of 09 and first three months of 10 sucked. Pretty much every business that involves working with your hands was slow at this time, from the owners I"ve talked to.

I felt like I"ve been anal raped daily with no lube for those six months. I know I need to start expanding staff, but am gunshy based on those six months. I want to be conservative, because it doesn"t do anyone any good to hire someone and then lay them off soon after. We are at max capacity right now, and still can"t keep up with complaints. Being a service business, we can"t have too many complaints. So I may have to err on the side of giving good service and get another crew going. The other thing is that some of our big customers have been working on other projects, but any day now, might call with a ton of work. We work side-by-side with a big construction company here on a natural life museum. They"ve been focusing on the museum, but we"ve heard rumblings that they are going to start working on the outside, and start adding in new trails through the woods for hikes. We"ve done contracts with them in excess of 100k, and if they do elect to do it, we"ll need to have staff on hand. Likewise, a park that we do business with is trying to get state funding and have us put in on the budget as a line item. There is so much work to be done that I could put my entire company out there for a year. There is a risk that both of those jobs might want us to work on them at once, and then we"ll be in panic mode. We can barely keep up with our residential work right now, and having two big commercial jobs at once would be nuts. Its not like its a bad problem though, since going into business, I"ve found that the best position to be in is like this. Sure you go nuts trying to get jobs done in a timely manner, but you can get more margin when demand is higher. We had two months last year where we netted in excess of 60k. That"s alot of jack to a guy who started out making 30k a year, and all the sudden make that in two weeks.

So yeah, it feels good to be in the green again, and have prospects for big commercial jobs. Right now, we are doing 98% residential.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Thread necro, but whatever.

Some friends of mine started a small business this year, and it"s been an eye opening experience for me. It"s a master"s class in what NOT to do when starting out.

They"ve opened a haunted house as an LLC alongside a separate prop company which is supplying their masks etc. It"s all out of pocket; they have no loans whatsoever. However, one of the partners has a... less than reputable income. Let"s just leave it at that.

Anyway, their actual product is fantastic. They"ve got an amazing haunted house that is reviewing extremely well and is making folks really happy. The problem is, they"ve invested ever last nickel into the site itself, leaving nothing back for the considerable payroll needs. They"re struggling to make their first check not because the business is failing, but because they didn"t run projections and realize how much money they"d need on hand.

In fact, they have no business plan at all. Not even a budget. I think one person"s mother is handling the accounting. I ended up taking on their HR administration as a personal favor, free of charge. It"s a huge mess, and they"re struggling because they didn"t spend the necessary time on all the boring details. That"s what happens when you put 4 artistic types together in a business with no management experience, I suppose.

My roommate and I are just now getting into serious discussions of opening a bar. We"ve seen some of the obvious pitfalls, and are hoping to avoid the same mistakes. A brewpub is just too expensive, but I have a legal-type friend looking into some other options for me, such as hosting homebrew competitions etc. If we can find ways to factor something like that in, we"ll have tapped into a very large and underserved market.

So, time will tell. I may post in this as we go through the paces. Lyrical, your thread is really helpful. Glad you started it.

Zeste_foh

shitlord
Heylel Teomim said:
they"ve invested ever last nickel into the site itself, leaving nothing back for the considerable payroll needs. They"re struggling to make their first check not because the business is failing, but because they didn"t run projections and realize how much money they"d need on hand.

In fact, they have no business plan at all. Not even a budget.
Fuck man, that is sad. It"s a common story though. And, if they had accounted for "payroll and overhead" as I call it, maybe their haunted house wouldn"t have been as nice.

These sorts of things can all be sort of forecast with relatively simple spreadsheets. Me and a friend did a business plan for a restaurant, and when we did the spreadsheet of daily sales vs. daily costs (and then monthly and weekly), we saw exactly how many sales we needed each day. It was pretty sobering, but we knew what to shoot for, and my friends previous restaurant did phenomenal, so I was confident he could make the sales.

That restaurant ended up not happening because our location was purchased by a real estate agent for her new office. But at least we had our business down in the numbers first.

Your friends might have to just get a loan/credit to cover their payroll and overhead, and roll that back into the spreadsheet. A businesses success isn"t measured by gross revenue, but net margins. If you take the payroll/overhead and look at it now, this haunted house might not have been a financially viable business to begin with.

I am all for entrepreneurship and starting businesses, but you really have to know your numbers. If you want, I could even send you the very simple spreadsheet we used for the restaurant, it would convert nicely for a bar/pub.

But don"t let it deter you. If any of the big business owners on these boards would have been told how many "widgets" they had to sell each day to be profitable, they"d all have a moment of doubt... that is unless they had it in a business plan first. But even then, when you finally see the sales/customers/whatevers it takes, it"s still always sobering.

A small business plan table of contents should be 25% operations, 25% marketing, 50% spreadsheets.