Adventures with lyrical - buying a business

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sometimes people say they enjoy and learn from my thread. But the biggest thing is to owning your own successful business is increasing your customer hits, and then closing them. As Peter Drucker said, "Marketing is the most important thing, everything else is detail work." If people ever listen to me, pay attention to your sales and marketing!I get PM"s from people all the time thanking me, but I believe that the next couple of posts decide whether you make $ or don"t.

We are having our best month of the year, we will net 30-32k by my estimation this month. The tricky part is that business starts declining from now until March. Typically we bleed cash in December and January trying to keep the guys paychecks coming. August is usually a peak month. I"m re-doing my advertising to combat the slump. Hopefully, like last year, we"ll work every day in the Winter.

I"m a big believer in advertising, but you have to justify it through a cost-benefit analysis. Don"t just spend money willy nilly, use some financial discipline.

Here is an advertising report, where we track all of our calls for the week, and if and where they approved. This is from an advertising report the Secretary sent for one week.

--------------------------------------------------------------

72 total estimates:

6 - Phone Book 1

21 - Repeat, 3 card, 7 magnet, 3 int - tree, 2 in file, 1 in phone, 1 Phone Book #1, 1 Phone Book#2, 3 internet

4 - Just knows about company, 1 internet, 1 Phone Book#2, 2 int - tree

18 - Referral, 6 got from referral, 3 state farm ins, 2 int - tree, 5 internet, 1 Hanover insurance

7 - saw truck

2 - billboard #1

8 - internet

3 - paper

1 - zip local

4 - Phone Book#2

1 - knew previous owner as friend, in file

2 - real y.p.

1 - NPR

1 - saw sign in Manager"s lawn

---------------------------------------------------------
18 approvals:

10 Repeat, real yp 125, in file 700, 1600, 4800, Phone Book 2 900, magnet 1600, 5900, 850, internet 400, internet - t 550

3 referral, got from ref 1475, state farm 450, 2300

saw truck, 300, 150, 1980

employee 1200

sign in Manager"s yard, 950

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
From here, I can draw observations on trends:

1- Radio traffic is down for some reason. No one called off of radio this week.

2- Newspaper is getting stronger, and is cheaper.Going back eight weeks, newspaper is yielding one call for $10 apiece.In comparison, billboard is about $500 apiece (although this is truly hard to measure). Internet is strong, but these customers will drop your contract if they find someone $1 cheaper and they tend to care less about reputation.

3- Believe it or not, I spent 60 cents on magnets that generated 9k in sales that week. Its unbelievable. I balk when I need to drop 1k on magnets, but we hand them out every where we go. People get excited about free refrigerator magnets, but more importantly, they generate big sales for us.I"m going to start sending out mailers with refrigerator magnets to high income neighborhoods.

4- The close rate for us talking to new customers this week is not good. We need to spend more time with these customers aqcuainting them with us. I"ll get on my estimator and Secretary about this.

I plan on making some new action plans based on the trend lately. Radio advertising will be doubled (maybe there"s not enough frequency) and I"m going to increase newspaper advertising. I am looking at targeting whatever part of the paper has the highest income reader.

My whole goal is to increase our awareness among the highest income customers. We"d rather deal with the execs, business owners, Doctors and lawyers who will spend 10k a year trying to impress their neighbors.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The rarely seen triple post. My monthly advertising budget is as follows:

Phone book #1 (across three books): $900 a month
AT&T (book and online): 350
Local community book: 125
Small book in rural area: 50
Billboard #1: $1200
Billboard #2: 600
Internet: 350 (website, and Google adwords)
Newspaper: 200
Membership at affluent country club: 200
NPR radio: 480

So we are spending about 4,500 a month to do about 50-55k a month in service revenues. I"m doing everything but TV and direct mail. Our typical profit margin is about 1/3 when equipment doesn"t break. Sometimes, when something breaks, it can run up to 10k a month to fix. One of our large grapple trucks has a weakened frame, and the cost was bid at about 16k to reinforce it. Ouch.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thief said:
I"m surprised to see how easy you can get some free advertising from the truck alone.
Its surprising, isn"t it? But these type of customers say the same thing. "We see you guys around on the road a lot, you must be doing something right." A lot of times, they tend to be the neighbors of the customer we are working on at that time. Some days, 1/3 of our calls have been from seeing one of our vehicles. Its gotten to the point that I have a decal-sized magnet on my own driver. Every time I leave the house, I put it on. I didn"t want a decal, so I could take it off whenever I wanted. We pick up 1-2k a week from signage on vehicles.

Personally, as a customer, I don"t ever look at signage on vehicles, billboards, yellow pages or go off of radio ads. I go off of the Internet, and then call people to check on a company"s reputation. But its important to remember that when you own a business, you aren"t marketing to yourself. If you try something new, and give it a test run and it yields results, keep it. Just monitor it on a weekly basis.

It looks like billboards aren"t bringing in much business. But they are. They add to awareness, they really aren"t a call to action. We do get a few customers a week that said they pulled over and got our phone number off the board. But most people remember you when they need your service. And then they look in the yellow pages or Internet for you. All I know is that from day one of putting up billboard #1, sales increased 20%. With billboard #2, we actually got to the point where we don"t have a down season any more. We worked every day this Winter, which is rare for a landscaping business. But billboards exposed us to more people. I think the traffic count on the boards is 200,000 people a day.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So things are going really smooth. I"ve moved to be closer to the business, and the employees are freaked out. Productivity is up 1/3 and they are doing a lot better controlling costs. A bigger customer of ours has verbally agreed to give us a $30-40k contract in the Winter, which is our slow time. I"ll go for the signed contract here in two weeks. Given that contract, and our normal course of business (albeit decreased), and we may actually turn a profit Dec through Feb.

I continue to retune the business to keep up with the times, through either increasing revenues or cutting costs. Sales - expenses = profit. You have to be working on either side of that equation at all times or you go backwards.

We are approaching our fourth year in business, and maybe one day soon, I"ll be able to get rid of my debt. 7k a month goes to servicing the buyout and the vehicles of the company. My life would be so much easier with 7k more a month in my pocket. That is 84k a month, and if we were debtless, I"d have 336k more in my business bank account right now (since inception of the business). It adds up.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Nice thread lyrical alot of good info here, not to derail but i jus wanna pick your brain.

My gfs mother is opening up a small country style deli and bakery, specializing in gourmet homeade cupcakes, and other country style foods.

For advertisement its a small town so we figure going to some little league games, and doing some taste testing with cupcakes, and some of the more simple food, but other than that, and local papers, aside from all the ways you used to branch out your specific business, anything specific you would do for a restaurant, mainly for a grand opening?

I had the idea to hand out little, tokens or coins at a few conventions coming up, that offered either 1-2$ off your purchase, or something like a free icecream/cupcake with your purchase on opening day/weekend.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lyrical said:
It adds up.
Sorry to troll your thread a little Lyrical, but no shit? Thats some serious MBA business school learnin" right there... so you"re telling me, if I don"t have debt, I make more? Didn"t you buy the business in the first place with debt?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
TecKnoe said:
Nice thread lyrical alot of good info here, not to derail but i jus wanna pick your brain.

My gfs mother is opening up a small country style deli and bakery, specializing in gourmet homeade cupcakes, and other country style foods.

For advertisement its a small town so we figure going to some little league games, and doing some taste testing with cupcakes, and some of the more simple food, but other than that, and local papers, aside from all the ways you used to branch out your specific business, anything specific you would do for a restaurant, mainly for a grand opening?

I had the idea to hand out little, tokens or coins at a few conventions coming up, that offered either 1-2$ off your purchase, or something like a free icecream/cupcake with your purchase on opening day/weekend.
Rewind a bit before talking about advertising. Realize that for eating places, it is about location location location. If you have a good one, you won"t need to do any advertising. I"d also consider a website (nowadays you can find a good hosting company with templates) and make sure you have the right keywords based on what you plan on serving. I"m also thinking that flyers would be good, as they are cheap. I"d probably focus on those things before newspaper. I"m not the expert at marketing, it is important, but the first thing you need to do is look at how people make eating decisions (from start to finish), and then you want to be there with advertising. Hell, I know of a smoothie store that spends thousands of dollars on billboards because they are convinced that"s how people make eating decisions (as they drive). I think they need to sell like 4,000 smoothies a month to pay their billboard budget, but they still have their billboards up after a year. It must be working for them to make a long term decision. Once you get going and ask people where they heard about you, you"ll know what is cost efficient advertising.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cad said:
Sorry to troll your thread a little Lyrical, but no shit? Thats some serious MBA business school learnin" right there... so you"re telling me, if I don"t have debt, I make more? Didn"t you buy the business in the first place with debt?
No trolling here, please. I"ll make an honest attempt to answer a troll post, but after that, any more trolling and you are dead to me.

Anyway, one thing I have learned about business is that you do have debt, but the important thing is to structure it to your benefit. Now that my loans are almost half paid off, I"m thinking of restructuring it. Although I"m getting to the point that if we can just focus up and close more business, I might be able to write a check on the remaining business debt in the next 12 months. At that point, I won"t have any debt other than a mortgage. Its a real possibility, but its going to require that everyone be more focused on a daily basis. I"ve always restructured my debt when it made sense since I got out of college.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lyrical said:
No trolling here, please. I"ll make an honest attempt to answer a troll post, but after that, any more trolling and you are dead to me.

Anyway, one thing I have learned about business is that you do have debt, but the important thing is to structure it to your benefit. Now that my loans are almost half paid off, I"m thinking of restructuring it. Although I"m getting to the point that if we can just focus up and close more business, I might be able to write a check on the remaining business debt in the next 12 months. At that point, I won"t have any debt other than a mortgage. Its a real possibility, but its going to require that everyone be more focused on a daily basis. I"ve always restructured my debt when it made sense since I got out of college.
I can"t speak to running a business since I am an associate at a law firm now and my previous business (software startups) had mostly sweat costs associated, but this sounds like good debt advice if you are forced to carry debt by circumstances.

If you"re earning more off the product of the debt (the business) than the liability of the debt costs you, it"s good.

If you"re financing something that generally appreciates or depreciates very slowly (houses) financing is okay.

I never finance depreciating assets (cars, consumer goods).

Izuldan_foh

shitlord
What Cad said.

I"m not sure why you are in a rush to pay off your debt. That will only increase your overall tax liability. Again, I"m not sure your your specifics Lyrical, so maybe talk to you accountant about it. I know mine personally always wants me to carry debt. As an example, the cars I purchase through the business, even though I can purchase them outright with no problem....we always lease or take loans out on. Same with equipment (I know Cad just mentioned he doesn"t finance depreciating assets, but as a business you can write off a portion of the depreciation, and you can stretch it out over a few years). It sounds like you are doing well so you need every write-off you can get. Every quarter my accountant will let me know I should spend "X" dollars on capital expenditures....if you aren"t using it on the business, it"s gonna go to Uncle Sam! You"re kinda screwed either way, but I"d rather see it go to my business, employees, etc, than the government.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Izuldan said:
What Cad said.

I"m not sure why you are in a rush to pay off your debt. That will only increase your overall tax liability. Again, I"m not sure your your specifics Lyrical, so maybe talk to you accountant about it. I know mine personally always wants me to carry debt. As an example, the cars I purchase through the business, even though I can purchase them outright with no problem....we always lease or take loans out on. Same with equipment (I know Cad just mentioned he doesn"t finance depreciating assets, but as a business you can write off a portion of the depreciation, and you can stretch it out over a few years). It sounds like you are doing well so you need every write-off you can get. Every quarter my accountant will let me know I should spend "X" dollars on capital expenditures....if you aren"t using it on the business, it"s gonna go to Uncle Sam! You"re kinda screwed either way, but I"d rather see it go to my business, employees, etc, than the government.
I"d really like to pocket 7-8k more a month. I did buy the business out, so have plenty of amortization and depreciation write downs. 7-8k more a month is a lot. I understand what you are saying. Some of the debt I don"t want to go. My estimate vehicle is driven 50-60k miles a year, and provides me with a writedown of at least 25k in income. I believe the mileage deduction of 55 cents a mile wouldn"t be there if it was paid (but I"m not 100% sure, I"d need to check with my CPA).

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, I just looked at a year-to-year comparison, and we are up 12% in sales and profits are up 25%. I believe the extra advertising is helping. We may break 600k in sales this year, which would put us at pre-recession numbers. There may be less customers, but my ad budget is huge, so we are exposed to more of them.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Izuldan said:
What Cad said.

Can"t say I really ever understood this line of thinking. I have clients that go hog wild buying shit for their company (as well as shit "for their company", but that"s different) that they don"t really need and in the end they have less take home cash. The way I look at it is this: estimate your tax rate and determine if you"d like to buy the assets with that % discount, and if that sounds like a good deal, do it, otherwise don"t waste your money.

IE if you end up paying $5k in financing and assorted costs to purchase an additional work vehicle with debt, but it only saves you an additional $1k of taxes... Why did you just do that?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Lyrical said:
Wow, I just looked at a year-to-year comparison, and we are up 12% in sales and profits are up 25%. I believe the extra advertising is helping. We may break 600k in sales this year, which would put us at pre-recession numbers. There may be less customers, but my ad budget is huge, so we are exposed to more of them.
This year is likely to be one of our worst years in the past couple decades, if not ever (I only really know the past 10 years). However the last few months might be quite good, but even then we"re likely to barely break even for the year. As of our July statement, we were down 375k for the year, on paper anyways.

On top of that, one development went sideways and to get 400k of holdback we were owed out of the project, we had to buy 4 condos worth about 250k each and they gave us 100k credit on each. So we had to put another 600k or so back in, and are now in the real estate business. There"s a rental pool that we"ll put them in, so at worst we"ll break even on the carrying costs, and hopefully sell them at some point in the next year or two for close to what we bought them for. At least that way we have free and clear title on the places, as opposed to an IOU from the developer that they might have been unable to pay for years, if ever. Wee.

Oh, and then another project that we were halfway through last February got shut down due to a permitting issues with the city and community (it"s a recovery/treatment centre for addicts, neighborhood doesn"t want it, city does, it was zoned residential only and the city issued a permit, community successfully challenged the permit in court, got it thrown out and left the project in limbo). The arms-length government agency that is the owner stopped paying their bills two months before the project got shut down, so we"re owed about 300k in progress invoices on top of the 100k or so of holdback they have, so we"re out about 400k in total (although about a third of that is actually owed to subtrades so not really out of pocket for us).

So yeah, been an ugly, ugly year. The timing was good in terms of cashflow though, because while all that shit was going on we finished up a few other projects and actually got all of our holdback out. Otherwise I don"t even know what we would have done, bro and I would have had to kick in hundreds of thousands (that I don"t have) to keep the company afloat while these fucking scofflaws made us wait.

Long story short though, we"ve picked up somewhere around 10m worth of work in the past month or two. 170,000ft manufacturing facility, 100 suite hotel, 138 unit condo, 72ish unit University housing development, 65 suite condo, and a few smaller ones. All of it reasonably fast tracked, with completions expected by late next year. Along with other work we had on the go. Our margins are going to improve significantly, which is the biggest thing really. Our net margin the past few years has been 0-5% both due to not having much mark-up on the projects and not having much volume relative to our overhead expenses. Now all of the sudden our volume is going to spike at the same time our mark-up is going to go up fairly significantly as we finish up older projects that were tendered when things were ultra competitive and start the newer ones where we had a bit more padding.

The boom in Alberta is back. In the span of two months we went from wondering what we were going to do for work to, well, wondering what we are going to do with the work.

I felt bad the last boom from 2004-2008 how much money we were making in general, and specifically on certain projects where we knew we had no competition. After the past 3 years of shit, I won"t make that mistake again. I will be raping and pillaging.

opiate82_foh

shitlord
TecKnoe said:

Advertising for a restaurant is so market dependent it is really tough to tell you exactly what to do. But what you need to do is keep lots of information so you can figure out what does and does not work for you. If you do run a newspaper ad make sure you track each redemption (assuming it includes a coupon) so you can keep track of how much each redemption costs you. Eventually you will get the data that lets you know what does and does not work for you, not only across different advertising mediums, but which offers work the best as well.

Also it has already been mentioned, but you need an online presence. A website is great, but at the very least create a Facebook page. Any time a person engages your page there is a chance that action will show up on their feed meaning all of their friends will see your name. Content is key, keep it fresh and light. The posts on my page that get the most views are generally of a humorous nature.

Another thing you can do is reach out to local businesses. I"ve had success by just showing up to a local business with a bunch of free pizza for lunch. If you have a high-school near by you can do the same thing with the football team. If you are involved with a local church, often they have a bulletin board up where you can post a flyer. I"ve offered a Sunday lunch discount for church groups. There is nothing better than some word-of-mouth advertising and nothing generates trial like free food.

A few other ideas, some sort of customer loyalty program (can be as simple as a stamp card). Offer double stamps if they bring in a friend. You can use this to gather customer information so if you do something like a mailer you can target addresses that aren"t already in your database. Mailing a coupon to someone who already is a customer is just cannibalizing your own sales. If you do want to target people who already are your customers try to make the offer on something they don"t normally buy or some sort of add on item so they get a perceived increased value while you get an increase in ticket price.

For your grand opening, if your local paper has a business section reach out to them. At the very least they will probably do some "new deli opening" blurb and they might be willing to do a small piece on you which will give you a chance to tell your story and get you some free pub.

Hope some of that helps. Also for what it is worth I haven"t had much success with newspaper ads and haven"t done them for at least a decade (probably longer). Your market my vary.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
OneofOne said:
Can"t say I really ever understood this line of thinking. I have clients that go hog wild buying shit for their company (as well as shit "for their company", but that"s different) that they don"t really need and in the end they have less take home cash. The way I look at it is this: estimate your tax rate and determine if you"d like to buy the assets with that % discount, and if that sounds like a good deal, do it, otherwise don"t waste your money.

IE if you end up paying $5k in financing and assorted costs to purchase an additional work vehicle with debt, but it only saves you an additional $1k of taxes... Why did you just do that?
I wouldn"t buy equipment I don"t need. But the more expensive pieces of equipment can kill you in repair costs as it gets older. I have a big rig that costs 50k to replace new and the frame has started to rip. I"ve spent 5k in the last year patching the frame, and it keeps ripping. It"s clear to me that we need to have some sort of equipment obsolescence plan in place. If we can get some sort of tax benefit, well that helps the incremental cost-benefit analysis of buying a new piece of equipment. But we aren"t going to go "hog wild" as you say.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eomer said:
I felt bad the last boom from 2004-2008 how much money we were making in general, and specifically on certain projects where we knew we had no competition. After the past 3 years of shit, I won"t make that mistake again. I will be raping and pillaging.
Tell me about it. There are times when you feel guilty about the profits you are making, and then the market goes sideways and you are spending money just to keep the doors open. I made a few mistakes my second year in business, because I kept people paid when it slowed down. The first year I was here we had our best year in 50 years, and the next year everyone in the industry was hit, and my competitors started closing. It"s bounced back since then to pre-recession levels. Anyway, I was just a few months away from paying the business off, and I decided to invest in my people rather than pay my business loan off. It slowed down, and then I lost 25k the first month, thinking it would bounce back, and then proceeded to lose 100k over the Winter. Screw that. I"ve increased my advertising 500% since then to make sure the guys have work, but I"m not digging in my pocket too deep in the future. But the advertising has made it so the guys are getting 50 hours a week in the Winter, versus the 35 hours I was just giving them. So its better for me and them. We are bringing in double the revenue in our slow times because of all the advertising, so company bills and wages are being paid.

We get these big projects by huge billion dollar corporations in this area, and they try to get us to discount 5-10k jobs. Screw that. They won"t find anyone else with the insurance I carry.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lyrical said:
I wouldn"t buy equipment I don"t need. But the more expensive pieces of equipment can kill you in repair costs as it gets older. I have a big rig that costs 50k to replace new and the frame has started to rip. I"ve spent 5k in the last year patching the frame, and it keeps ripping. It"s clear to me that we need to have some sort of equipment obsolescence plan in place. If we can get some sort of tax benefit, well that helps the incremental cost-benefit analysis of buying a new piece of equipment. But we aren"t going to go "hog wild" as you say.
No, I was talking to Iz. Some tax people get in the rut of "must present client with lowest tax bill possible" to justify themselves/feel they are doing their job, while on the other hand the client"s biggest concern is they want to make money (that is after all why you are in business). It might feel counter-intuitive to say those two needs sometime oppose each other, but they in fact do. Often time paying a higher tax % is a GOOD thing - it means you are making bank.

I"m just pointing out that going for the lowest tax bill possible isn"t always the awesome thing some people think it is.