Advice for working on the road - Full Time Travel Work

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Dude this is Kansas, i'm surprised he didn't get BBQ sauce welcome basket.

Ahh Kansas nothing but Corn Fields and Jack Shit. About 10-15 years ago I worked in Olathe, Kansas at the Garmin HQ. There wasn't fuck all out there aside from Taco Johns which is a fucking shame we don't have here on the east coast.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ahh Kansas nothing but Corn Fields and Jack Shit. About 10-15 years ago I worked in Olathe, Kansas at the Garmin HQ. There wasn't fuck all out there aside from Taco Johns which is a fucking shame we don't have here on the east coast.
speaking of food, that German said what he missed most was the cheeses, he said you guys have "American Cheese", wth is that. I tell him it's cuz we're in bum fuck Kansas, don't expect variety. At a party event he ate my lasagna (outside of ppl that sound like they came out of Goodfellas, i cook the best Italian i know), he was like why does this taste so good, the cheese.

I said i make my own moz, thats why it's fresh. after that i took him to a cheese shop right in his own neighborhood (he lives in the hipster part of Kansas actually), we sampled a lot, he still said he wished he was back in Germany for the cheeses, which he eventually did a month ago for vacation, he looks even 10lb heavier ha.

That must suck when you're an expat, when you go on vacation, you actually just travel back home.

but, don't forget

When you did traveled before, how many years ago was it? that was w/ the body of a young man, you ain't young no more jack

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
speaking of food, that German said what he missed most was the cheeses, he said you guys have "American Cheese", wth is that. I tell him it's cuz we're in bum fuck Kansas, don't expect variety. At a party event he ate my lasagna (outside of ppl that sound like they came out of Goodfellas, i cook the best Italian i know), he was like why does this taste so good, the cheese.

I said i make my own moz, thats why it's fresh. after that i took him to a cheese shop right in his own neighborhood (he lives in the hipster part of Kansas actually), we sampled a lot, he still said he wished he was back in Germany for the cheeses, which he eventually did a month ago for vacation, he looks even 10lb heavier ha.

That must suck when you're an expat, when you go on vacation, you actually just travel back home.

but, don't forget

When you did traveled before, how many years ago was it? that was w/ the body of a young man, you ain't young no more jack

I will admit when it came to food there was some shit in Germany that was flat out fucking amazing.

First there is Doner which is actually Turkish but since there are a bunch of Turks running around Germany they all own and operate these places.

WHATS+FOR+DONER-jpgs-0089.jpg

Then there are fucking bakeries every 10 fucking feet in Germany with these Brotchen. And they make little kick ass sandwiches with them.

Broetchen_small.jpg
nahrung_ap_bfv_07_401.jpg

As for cheese, it was always cheaper to buy small blocks of Cheese in Europe than it was here in the U.S. and often it was better. Still we fucking crush the Euro bros when it comes to meat, they can't hold a candle except for maybe sausages there was some kick ass sausages in Germany.

As for Mozzarella, I have never tried to make it but it seems like it would be a pain in the ass. That being said something I can never find here state side that I used to enjoy the shit out of over there was Buffalo Mozzarella.

I left this job about a year ago so it wasn't that far back. Honestly, I never thought about going back to work for them but since they called me and offered and it was better money than I am currently getting I am pretty sure I am gonna take it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As for Mozzarella, I have never tried to make it but it seems like it would be a pain in the ass. That being said something I can never find here state side that I used to enjoy the shit out of over there was Buffalo Mozzarella.
Naw Moz is listed as the easiest to make (idk, i've only made Moz), ppl think it's expensive cuz the only "cheese making kits" cost a lot,
you just need rennat(which you find in the pudding aisle) and citric acid(which you find in the canning aisle), once it curds up, i just strain w/ cheesecloth and don't bother making it into the little balls, cuz the only time i make it is when i make lasagna anyway and the balls is just for presentation.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A former VP of my current company used to travel a ton to different offices across the US. He typically wouldn't say longer than a week, and was doing it often enough that he started leaving the light on in the bathroom while he was at a hotel so that he would know if he was at home or not when waking up in the middle of the night/first thing in the morning.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had 90+ nights in a hotel last year, and about 80 this year so far. Hilton is who I use, and just like you prefer the Hampton Inns. Home2 or Homewood Suites are nice because of the full kitchen you get, but those are not available as much.

All the tips have been pretty much said. I get a $75 per diem, but all my expenses are on a Corporate Amex, so if I don't use it, I don't get to keep the extra. Just like you I go to Walmart, and often times will get dinner + food/snacks for the week. I tend to eat the snacks quickly though, so sometimes I only get a few.

Unfortunately for me, my job let's me have the hotel and airline rewards, but not the Amex points, despite it being in our name. I could be stupid, and it could fuck my credit, but I can't get the rewards. Triggers me!

Told you this over B.net but Chase Sapphire Preferred doesn't transfer directly to Delta. You have to transfer to Virgin Atlantic, and then use their website to purchase a Delta ticket with points. It's possible, just a few more extra steps. I also don't think then you your status either, unless you had status with Virgin Atlantic. Now that I type that out, it's not worth it. Capital One Venture Card is the other big player in travel rewards cards.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you want airline points just get that airlines card. I book all my flights with my delta card and occasionally get like 7 miles on the dollar when they are running a deal - otherwise I think it's like 2 miles per dollar, plus the flight miles and the free bag and all that. For regular old cash back I still think Amazon is the way to go unless you really don't shop with them. I get several hundred dollars per year in cash back from Amazon and it more than pays for my prime membership plus some Christmas gifts. There is no annual fee on it either.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would also heavily recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It's insane value especially with the signup bonus. ... With that in mind if you're going to sign up for it I'd be super happy to send you a referral link, doesn't change the signup bonus that you would get and I'd get few extra points =p

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've considered getting an airline specific card but I mostly fly United because they practically run SFO. And United's mileage plan is garbage. Though Alaska is starting to gain more traction in the airport.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How are you at packing? i used to use the storage cubes, i find this works even better
stow n go
cf4eabf6eba1c448da66564b571743a2.png

I don't like using the hotel drawers, i use this and the hanging type for the bathroom.

my wife hates the hanging organizers and still prefers the packing cubes tho.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I like that and I might get one of those.
this one is really nice, i saw a "ghetto" version in an asian store, that was basically just mesh shelves, this one has a zippered bottom (socks n underwear n shit) and when you collapse it, you can buckle it tight, which you need to do cuz sooner or later TSA is gonna search your bag, and you don't want your shit just flying out.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
How are you at packing? i used to use the storage cubes, i find this works even better
stow n go
cf4eabf6eba1c448da66564b571743a2.png

I don't like using the hotel drawers, i use this and the hanging type for the bathroom.

my wife hates the hanging organizers and still prefers the packing cubes tho.

That looks fucking dope I might have to get one of those.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I would also heavily recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It's insane value especially with the signup bonus. ... With that in mind if you're going to sign up for it I'd be super happy to send you a referral link, doesn't change the signup bonus that you would get and I'd get few extra points =p

I was going to go with this card but after hearing they don't transfer to Delta is a big turn off. I am thinking now about the Venture One card or maybe I will stick with cash back stuff. Citi has a flat 2% cash back that could be nice.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Following, as my career path may soon result in international travel 2-3 per year, and 1-2+ trips across country per quarter.

The one thing I can add at the advice of my brother in law that travels weekly, download a bed bug reporting ap. You can avoid some shit traveling with you, even if you haven't stuck your dick in it. Also, LaQuinta is his preferred venue as he can take his family to stay anywhere for free after so many stays. The former comment about bed bugs might also play a factor, in that they tended to be cleaner than others in that regard.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Also, one other thing, depending on the amount of local travel required, and obviously which cities you're going to, Uber can save you a fuck load. Why rent a car for three days for $300, when you can make those trips via Uber under less than $50? I've always regretted getting a rental when I've stayed anywhere for about a week or two, spent several hundred, and just Ubered out of convenience, and the total cost of Uber fairs being less than 1/3rd the cost. Obviously if you're in the middle of no where, a rental makes sense. Also, Uber drivers make for good information on local experiences. Assuming you're not in LA where they're all almost dead and think good Mexican food is Taco Cabana.... I also really like to enjoy different locations, so avoiding driving myself is a good cushion. I've also found good sources of weed from drivers in non-legal states as well.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Also, one other thing, depending on the amount of local travel required, and obviously which cities you're going to, Uber can save you a fuck load. Why rent a car for three days for $300, when you can make those trips via Uber under less than $50? I've always regretted getting a rental when I've stayed anywhere for about a week or two, spent several hundred, and just Ubered out of convenience, and the total cost of Uber fairs being less than 1/3rd the cost. Obviously if you're in the middle of no where, a rental makes sense. Also, Uber drivers make for good information on local experiences. Assuming you're not in LA where they're all almost dead and think good Mexican food is Taco Cabana....

Rental cars are covered under my expenses. Zero reason to be limited by an Uber. That being said I will often use Uber/Lyft to the local airport and back rather than leaving my car there. In both cases these are also covered under my expenses so it doesn't come out of my pocket, but I just don't like leaving my car at the airport.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I never leave my car at the airport, either.

I mention Uber only if you're getting a stipend, rather than it being a reported expense. If you can get a rental and Uber compensation, then nevermind.