Age of Conan

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
As with most people, definitely bought the pre release hype based on the first 20 levels or whatever it was in tortage.

Walked out of tortage and canceled my sub. This was the last time I fell for pre release hype for any major mmo. Total bait and switch on the part of the dev team, imo.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have made a huge mistake. Not even worth the 3.00, the melee combat just feels clunky as fuck now and I stopped playing at level 5.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I remember being let down that NPC's could let out a glorious stream of piss but there was no player emote for it. At least we could run around with our tits out.

Years ago I played uh, thaumaturge? Some nuker, to maybe 40ish before giving up. I don't think I saw another person the entire time. Casters didn't have to deal with shields or the goofy combo crap so it didn't play that bad. Game had a horrible habit of filling the roads with fucking mobs that of course instantly punted you from your horse.

I think I did work out a way to do combos with simple macros, but that probably wouldn't work in PVP.

IIRC originally it was going to have 5 directional buttons for combos and as many as 7 (or even 9?) inputs. This was nerfed down to what, 3 and 5? QTE: The MMO.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
AoC featured more Penny. Checkmate WoW.
Did the AOC episode feature long haired, big tittied, non gorilla arm Penny - or the dyke version? You need to clear this up.

I would do terrible, terrible, terrible things to early Penny.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
PvP wise it wasn't anything special. At least not on launch.

I had a lot of fun playing this competitively at launch, being one of the first max-level folks on uhm, Deathwhisper? and I liked that there was literally one zone you could level quickly to cap, bringing a lot of fun PvP for a couple weeks where we would guard the resource against other groups.

But the siege mechanics and stronghold ownership was unfinished and poorly thought out. We got the first keep off of some mind-numbing PvE farming and we destroyed the first keep in a really shitty siege system.

What did they do to make it better to make it the greatest PvP MMO ever?
Ya the large scale PvP wasn't that great but honestly no MMO has ever really done large scale PvP that well since it's basically impossible to stop it from just being a ridiculous spam/zerg fest. Not to mention that AoC was so far ahead of it's time graphics wise that there was simply no way the vast majority of the people playing it would have computers capable of handling large scale PvP. However in terms of 1v1's and group vs group PvP it's definitely the best mainly because of the mechanics of the game itself and how complex and skill based the combat system is. It's the only MMO I've ever played where you could kill someone 10 or more levels higher than you simply because you're much better than them. Being able to know your enemies and adjust your shields vs different classes to minimize damage you take as well as positioning around your opponents shields to maximize your damage was pretty sweet. Not to mention performing fatalities was just icing.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Anyone who is not a 50 yr old woman, does not find that abortion funny. Awful show. Stupid quirky nerdy-ass humor.
I have several friends who love this show. Tried to watch a few episodes. It is literally unwatchable horse shit. It actually makes "Friends" seem funny by comparison, and that is fucking hard to do.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
/shrug It's not my favorite show but it was usually pretty funny to me back when it came out. Haven't seen any episodes the last few years, I just assumed it jumped the shark a while back because it's been on so long.

Back on topic. This game actually was pretty good just before the expansion came out. I missed the launch fiasco. The expansion was a huge grind fest though (Heart of thorns I'm looking at you) so I bailed. Went back for F2P but their version sucked.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ya the large scale PvP wasn't that great but honestly no MMO has ever really done large scale PvP that well since it's basically impossible to stop it from just being a ridiculous spam/zerg fest. Not to mention that AoC was so far ahead of it's time graphics wise that there was simply no way the vast majority of the people playing it would have computers capable of handling large scale PvP. However in terms of 1v1's and group vs group PvP it's definitely the best mainly because of the mechanics of the game itself and how complex and skill based the combat system is. It's the only MMO I've ever played where you could kill someone 10 or more levels higher than you simply because you're much better than them. Being able to know your enemies and adjust your shields vs different classes to minimize damage you take as well as positioning around your opponents shields to maximize your damage was pretty sweet. Not to mention performing fatalities was just icing.
Vanilla wow, alterac valley. Something special about taking a day off on Friday to pvp all day, then come back after sleeping and joining the same AV for another 15 hours. Then Sunday rolls around and after sleeping and being put back in the same AV, you finally pull off a win. Granted that got old quick, but I loved it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The funniest part about Big Bang Theory is seeing how rustled nerds on the internet become when you mention Big Bang Theory

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Started playing this again this week, because you know, lol... I need help. Anyway.

Sorta making the rounds through all the old MMOs in some downtime. Tortage still holds up fairly well once you get used to the game again. The combat is a mix of clunky, but fun and involved? I was hoping they accelerated XP compared to what it was back when it launched, but I really cannot tell. Still seems fairly slow. I just wanted to run through the world solo or with a friend with much faster exp, but if I had to guess, my journey with the game will once again end shortly after leaving the starting area.

Does anyone know if there is a /who command to check population. I'm really curious. I get the feeling about 200-400 people are playing this still.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user