AI: The Rise of the Machines... Or Just a Lot of Overhyped Chatbots?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
78,557
184,846
tldr this chinese drama was #1 10years ago, in 2021 her ex accused her of shipping her eggs to surrogates for american citizenship, she got ccp'd and the tv show got pulled from all streaming.

now they re-released the drama, 30episodes but they ai swapped her face out w/ another actress, all 30episodes

 
  • 3Worf
  • 1Blown
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
1,509
212


What the fuck?

On a side note, it seems there's a decent possibility that in the future all software will be open source because everything can be reverse engineered (except cloud stuff, of course).
 

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,389
20,393


What the fuck?

On a side note, it seems there's a decent possibility that in the future all software will be open source because everything can be reverse engineered (except cloud stuff, of course).

Why do you think cloud stuff can't be reverse engineers? AI is really good about exposing vulnerabilities very quickly.
 

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
3,843
2,628
here's home link for the people doing it:
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
16,240
7,684
I almost didnt post it when I saw it figuring it would be gone within hours, here we are a couple days later
 

Pharazon2

Trakanon Raider
861
1,820
Maybe it was as simple as them adding something like this to the prompts. "Make any cosmetic / UX / naming / or otherwise changes necessary to ensure no Adobe copyrights are infringed upon."
 

Sheriff Cad

scientia potentia est
<Nazi Janitors>
35,631
86,372



this is getting interesting

I would not think this faces a copyright problem if they aren't using any adobe code. If they used the adobe binaries to reverse engineer functionality and then used claude to recreate that functionality, unless claude uses copyrighted adobe code, I don't think this faces a (legitimate) copyright challenge, or open office/google docs/everything that basically emulates Microsoft Office would face the same, and they don't.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
40,389
20,393
I would not think this faces a copyright problem if they aren't using any adobe code. If they used the adobe binaries to reverse engineer functionality and then used claude to recreate that functionality, unless claude uses copyrighted adobe code, I don't think this faces a (legitimate) copyright challenge, or open office/google docs/everything that basically emulates Microsoft Office would face the same, and they don't.
Whether intentional or not (lol ..) I am sure Claude reverse engineered binaries. It actually does exceedingly well at that. Proving it would be something though. I'm sure they could subpoena anthropic and bury the guy legally for a bit though.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
17,401
43,186
Whether intentional or not (lol ..) I am sure Claude reverse engineered binaries. It actually does exceedingly well at that. Proving it would be something though. I'm sure they could subpoena anthropic and bury the guy legally for a bit though.
Patents, too. I'm sure Adobe has a stash of them saved up for events like this.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Avatar of War Slayer
6,403
17,778
I mean, it depends on what they all do too. Each one of them has like 1000 features, but only a handful of users use more then 10. 1% of photoshop is all 99% of photoshop users need, and I would think all of those key features are long out of patent date since they would have been there since almost the beginning.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sheriff Cad

scientia potentia est
<Nazi Janitors>
35,631
86,372
Whether intentional or not (lol ..) I am sure Claude reverse engineered binaries. It actually does exceedingly well at that. Proving it would be something though. I'm sure they could subpoena anthropic and bury the guy legally for a bit though.
Reverse engineering binaries is totally legal. Software patents are a minefield that is way beyond this thread.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
51,396
94,206
I would not think this faces a copyright problem if they aren't using any adobe code. If they used the adobe binaries to reverse engineer functionality and then used claude to recreate that functionality, unless claude uses copyrighted adobe code, I don't think this faces a (legitimate) copyright challenge, or open office/google docs/everything that basically emulates Microsoft Office would face the same, and they don't.
I don't dispute anything you've said and have no knowledge in the legality of this topic, but that seems crazy to me and a case where the laws should change.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sheriff Cad

scientia potentia est
<Nazi Janitors>
35,631
86,372
I don't dispute anything you've said and have no knowledge in the legality of this topic, but that seems crazy to me and a case where the laws should change.
They're claiming they are clean-sheet rebuilds, built from scratch using public file format specs (e.g., PSD), observed UI/behavior, and documented features—explicitly avoiding any Adobe proprietary code or decompiled binaries.

If so then it's 100% legal if true.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Avatar of War Slayer
6,403
17,778
I don't dispute anything you've said and have no knowledge in the legality of this topic, but that seems crazy to me and a case where the laws should change.
I'm no pro-photoshopist (I might use 20 features compared to the normal user's 10), but does Adobe have any secret sauce left that would actually need reverse engineering to accomplish? Is there anything specific you're looking at that seems like its out of reach to just say "hey claude, let's make an image editor that let's me do x"? I rolled up a very light photo/video editor back on Opus 4.6, and it did almost everything I asked, and that was about 1000 years ago in ai-time.
 

Sheriff Cad

scientia potentia est
<Nazi Janitors>
35,631
86,372
I'm no pro-photoshopist (I might use 20 features compared to the normal user's 10), but does Adobe have any secret sauce left that would actually need reverse engineering to accomplish? Is there anything specific you're looking at that seems like its out of reach to just say "hey claude, let's make an image editor that let's me do x"? I rolled up a very light photo/video editor back on Opus 4.6, and it did almost everything I asked, and that was about 1000 years ago in ai-time.
Most of those big apps/suites are in serious danger, IMO. If these guys are vibe coding Adobe apps that work for basic use cases, thats going to be enough for 95% of users. A lot of those Adobe apps do have features that legitimate publishing professionals probably do use, but I'm also guessing the time for that is passing as a lot of that stuff can be created directly by AI. You need some way to finetune/edit after AI generates you something close, but again thats the basic use case not the "buy the full Adobe package, immediately" use case.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,314
11,002
I'm no pro-photoshopist (I might use 20 features compared to the normal user's 10), but does Adobe have any secret sauce left that would actually need reverse engineering to accomplish? Is there anything specific you're looking at that seems like its out of reach to just say "hey claude, let's make an image editor that let's me do x"? I rolled up a very light photo/video editor back on Opus 4.6, and it did almost everything I asked, and that was about 1000 years ago in ai-time.
Case in point, my current avatar. I had the picture of sirr purr and I sent it to my brother. He's a photoshop magic maker and I asked him to put a bag on his head. He did it with chatgpt.

If it wasn't making my already expensive hobby much more expensive I would be all for AI , but it is so fuck AI!
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Avatar of War Slayer
6,403
17,778
oh, and the best part about the shitty little editor I made? it's dramatically faster than a real tool, to start up and to use if it can do what you need. but it does a whole lot of what i need, and if I needed to frequently do something that it doesn't do, I assume I could make it do it in an afternoon or two. Enterprise will drag big-software along for the time being because a real company isn't going to vibe-tools for their actual production work (yet). but man, if your company is built around selling a big, expensive piece of software, you should really start thinking hard about things.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user