AIM is getting ready for the big sleep

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
AOL System Msg: Hi there! We wanted to let you know that AIM will be going away on December 15, 2017. Until then, you can continue to use AIM normally, but as of December 15, AIM will be discontinued and you will no longer have access.

Thank you for being an AIM user - we loved working on this product for you. Learn more here: AIM will be discontinued on December 15, 2017.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i wish I remembered my 6 digit ICQ.

That was still the best chat/IM program ever.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wife and I spent a ton of time talking on it before we met, and while I was deployed.

Been married 13 years now. Seems like AIM had a large influence on that.

Siliconemelons

Same boat, wife and I did a lot of chatting on AIM before we got married while I was at work / home and she was off at college.

I had a palm OS phone (samsung sph? i-500?) and Sprint - and sprint after 7pm minutes were"free" and back then data was minutes of use- so it was free, so I had aim on my phone constantly and used it a lot.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
It went down in the AIM chats before it went down in the DM.

• 1Worf

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Probably a stupid question, but I assume this means I won't even be able to access AIM via programs like Trillian and Pidgin, right? It's not just the AIM program, but the protocol, that's going away?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That's the way it sounds. It seems as though AOL is no longer going to pay for storage for all of the AIM accounts. You can probably use AIM inside of the AOL program with other AOL users, but that's about it.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
i still know my ICQ, downloaded it last year for lolz and got it first time. I'm pretty good with memorising numbers

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
i still know my ICQ, downloaded it last year for lolz and got it first time. I'm pretty good with memorising numbers
I was going to do this also for lolz, but when I go to the site to download, it sends me to a .ru website that is blocked by my adblocker. Even if its probably legit, not going that far for shits and giggles.

Dammed if I can remember my SSN half the time, or any idea what the password would be, but I still have 15267747 burned into my memory from 20 years ago playing UO.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
2444457. I still use mine almost every day. But only 1 of my old friends uses it also.

Seriously, how awesome is that number? four 4's in a row? Love it.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The filters wouldn't allow that. Had to go with p4ssw0rd instead. Sometimes with a "!" at the end for good measure.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bunch if super nerds up in here.

Ignore that like 5 years ago I tried to figure out my ICQ but I don't even know what email I used at this point.