Air (2023)

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Excellent movie.
Mom was a gigantic MJ fan from the jump when he was at UNC. Anyone who knew nothing about basketball would have wondered why my mom had 2 pudgy white kids and one really tall in shape black kid as she had as many photos of him on the walls as me and my brother. This movie got me right in the feels and ripped my guts out.

Edit: Forgot to mention , mom has been dead for 3 years.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Excellent movie.
Mom was a gigantic MJ fan from the jump when he was at UNC. Anyone who knew nothing about basketball would have wondered why my mom had 2 pudgy white kids and one really tall in shape black kid as she had as many photos of him on the walls as me and my brother.
I know a fair bit about basketball and I still am wondering.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly I knew basically none of this story so I found it quite interesting. I think that's the draw. Everyone alive knows what Air Jordan's are but not many I am guessing knew the story behind them.

I'm not really a basketball fan so I had no idea that Michael Jordan got a shoe designed/named after him as a fucking rookie before he ever played in the NBA. I didn't know that Converse was like the official basketball shoe with over 50% of the market, or that Adidas was the #2 and Nike was damn near exclusively an old jewish people running shoe until this happened.

I'm a child of the 90s I grew up with Nike, Reebok (mother fucking pumps) Puma, etc. What year did the Reebok pump come out? 1989. I remember them, I was 8 years old and those shoes automagically made you good at basketball. I mean that's like 4 years after this fucking movie happened, and in such a short amount of time the market was completely flip flopped. Nike absolutely dominating, converse were for skinny white kids. Like only skateboarders wore converse, (before Van's and Doc Marten's became popular), nobody wore them to play basketball.

can you imagine completely losing your dominate marketshare in such a short time frame and having to completely pivot who you are as a company?
It's like, Bud Light. 20 years from now someone is going to make an Anheiser Busch movie and our kids are going to be like "omg, bud light wasn't always for the 0.003% tranbo faggot micro-market, it used to be the drink of choice among poor red necks and held 50% of the marketshare? how the fuck did that happen"

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I think that's the draw. Everyone alive knows what Air Jordan's are but not many I am guessing knew the story behind them.

Well that's debatable. Even if it's true, the actual story is practically non existent - underdog shoe company gambles on rookie and designs him a custom shoe exclusively for him. Just very little actual meat to build a movie on.

It really felt like an old school made for TV Movie, or a Nike corporate video. None of the characters were fleshed out beyond the office - no family tensions etc

Juvarisx

Florida
Ovdid the 80's nostalgia but outside of that was a great movie. Had no idea Nike paid fines or that it was such a big risk to them at the time as it seems completly obvious now. Damon continues to be a great actor, even when you know its him he will play the shit out of a role and you can buy it.

Def recommend if you are a fan of basketball.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist

1684212713071.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, those black and red ones are the ones I remembered. I swore they were first, but this movie enlightened me on that. I wonder if everyone pays fines now, or if they did away with the fines? And did other players actually wear Air Jordan's back when he was a player?

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, those black and red ones are the ones I remembered. I swore they were first, but this movie enlightened me on that. I wonder if everyone pays fines now, or if they did away with the fines? And did other players actually wear Air Jordan's back when he was a player?

Those are still the Jordan 1s, it had a number of colorways, I think the first few years were Bulls colors (Red white black, Black red) and North Carolina color variations

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Damn good movie. The only thing I know for certain about the story that I don't feel they hit on at all was as WHY he was noticeably better as a Rookie-- IE: Why people were confident he was going places. It's the insane number of hours he put in to be the best. Folks who knew him as a kid still talk about how hard he focused/worked to make shots from damn near every spot on the court. He wasn't fucking Beethoven of basketball, he earned that shit the hard way. Much respect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Damn good movie. The only thing I know for certain about the story that I don't feel they hit on at all was as WHY he was noticeably better as a Rookie-- IE: Why people were confident he was going places. It's the insane number of hours he put in to be the best. Folks who knew him as a kid still talk about how hard he focused/worked to make shots from damn near every spot on the court. He wasn't fucking Beethoven of basketball, he earned that shit the hard way. Much respect.

It purposefully wasn't a movie about Jordan,, hence why they barely if at all show his face. The point was to make sure he didn't overshadow the core storyline

• 1Like

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I am talking about the storyline. If you're Sonny Vaccaro (Matt Damon's character) and being asked to defend your opinion on the kid, instead of just showing Jordan making "The Shot", show that you've done your research into what led to him being so comfortable on the court and making the shot. And that came down to the fact they weren't just investing in someone who had a single day in the spotlight, but a fucking workhorse. Anyhow, it was just an observation that bugged me. I'm a credit where it's due guy.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I am talking about the storyline. If you're Sonny Vaccaro (Matt Damon's character) and being asked to defend your opinion on the kid, instead of just showing Jordan making "The Shot", show that you've done your research into what led to him being so comfortable on the court and making the shot. And that came down to the fact they weren't just investing in someone who had a single day in the spotlight, but a fucking workhorse. Anyhow, it was just an observation that bugged me. I'm a credit where it's due guy.

This video popped up on my youtube. It illustrates that they made a movie based on a boardroom pitch lol, and what Jordan's mindset was like. Nothing really new re his mindset after The Last Dance "and I took that personal x 100" but in just a 90s clip it illustrates both

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Except you still dont get it. the movie isn't about jordan at all. They intentionally never even show his face.

This isnt a coach carter/remember the titans/invictus whatever type of movie showing some great sports ball overcoming adversity. And it isnt some bullshit pulling heart strings white guilt "first black players to do x" type of glory road, blind side, etc race baiting bullshit.

This movie is basically ford vs Ferrari. Its just an interesting story about a topic you kinda know about but didn't really know the details on thats tangentially involves a sport but it isnt about that.

• 2Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
show that you've done your research into

Well the start of the movie is portraying him as a (high school) basketball obsessive who doesn't really fit in with the corporate NIKE structure, who basically only has a job because he's some kind of basketball guru/prophet whose job it is to identify talent. Once you've established that, then it isn't necessary to show how he arrives at his conclusion because you've already established his intuition and then they show him being willing to bet his career on that intuition.

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well the start of the movie is portraying him as a (high school) basketball obsessive who doesn't really fit in with the corporate NIKE structure, who basically only has a job because he's some kind of basketball guru/prophet whose job it is to identify talent. Once you've established that, then it isn't necessary to show how he arrives at his conclusion because you've already established his intuition and then they show him being willing to bet his career on that intuition.
They did actually show some of that. He went into a pretty good amount of detail about that final shot in the championship game. It was not just about the hard work but also about his presence. The man never looked nervous or overwhelmed. He was relaxed despite knowing he was about to take the biggest shot of his current career. Now his hard work contributed to that presence. Its like studying for an exam. If you study enough, you go into taking the exam like you own it. His presence was what stood out over everything else.

• 2Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

btw how hot was the girl who played Knight's secretary? I would post this in the THOT thread but I detect too much botox and cosmetic symmetry to be acceptable in the TRAD-THOT-THREAD