Air purifiers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I live in apartment that's been newly renovated but I'm pretty sure its an old ass building and I get a lot of dust accumulation and I think the air quality could probably be better. are there any air purifers that would help address this situation or are those a waste of money?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
First are you a light sleeper? some ppl cannot have one in the room, some prefer it (white noise)

I'll just tell you the one i have arrived at (after 1,000s)
Amazon.com - Winix WAC5500 True HEPA Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology - Hepa Filter Air Purifiers

This is the one in our bedroom, my wife has allergies and it's considered one of the best ones for that.
at the basic level you have the carbon pre-filter, this will help with air quality, make stuff smell better (or at least take the odor out)

Then you have your standard HEPA filter, this is where all the allergens/dust crap gets collected.

Then it has some kind of plasma thing that kills bateria like ozone, w/o making ozone.

It's hyper sensitive, we have it "auto" and whenever my wife opens nail polish or, some type of facial cleanser, it kicks up to turbo cuz it smelled something, which is cool, cuz i have never seen anything react with this much sensitivity. (usually only smoke does that for most air cleaners)

our house is split into 4 quads for tenants, either our neighbors are using some funk, or the house just gives off stuff, cuz when we visit their apartments (well 1 neighbor, we don't give a shit about the other 2, they old ppl anyway) her allergies kick up.

If you don't need something so grand for allergies, a good honeywell (usually known as the drum type) will do a good job with dust/air cleaning, some allergens.
Amazon.com - Honeywell 50250-S 99.97% Pure HEPA Round Air Purifier - Hepa Filter Air Purifiers

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
btw just happened to tell this to a co-worker, her son's eyes get inflammed and itchy, my wife mentioned our air cleaner (it's the best she's had) and next day they bought it, found out today, that their son only stays in his room now, cuz it's the only pollen free room, and he feels great in there. Now they're ordering more, ha. I honestly didn't know more about the bigger models (cuz i only live in an apt), and i just said they should just get all the same model for each room, that way they won't have to deal with different sized air filters.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
hell no Keg they are super worth the money. I sleep like a baby that drank opium laced breast milk. Havent had to change the filter yet so that could be an issue with price but everything is solid so far. Keeps the allergies outside away.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In the market for one, as Arizona and dust just go together. Looking mainly for one that will make dusting a less often required activity. Not so much for allergies. The Honeywell drum linked above looks pretty good. Any other recommendations for just pulling "dust" out of the air.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
how often do you want to clean, if it is just dust, i recommend something that is electrostatic (basically attracts dust), if you don't mind cleaning once a week, this is a great way to just do dust.

Amazon.com - Washable Air Filter - Made for 20 Box Fan. FILTER ONLY, fan not included. -

i was using this when i moved into our new place, it was dusty as hell, usually i use it for when we travel to friends places w/o air cleaners or worse with pets and dander. since it just attaches to any ol box fan, it's pretty light, if you use it 24/7 you have to wash it once a week. I just run water over it and put it back on the fan turned on (basically letting it air dry at the same time) My mom has it atm, and she likes it, she kinda took it from us the last time we stayed over, been too lazy to re-order one. if you don't have a box fan, theres a combo link there somewhere.

The good thing about it is that it's direct air power/filter. Check this out if you want to just test the waters and don't mind a weekly wash.

Crone

how often do you want to clean, if it is just dust, i recommend something that is electrostatic (basically attracts dust), if you don't mind cleaning once a week, this is a great way to just do dust.

Amazon.com - Washable Air Filter - Made for 20 Box Fan. FILTER ONLY, fan not included. -

i was using this when i moved into our new place, it was dusty as hell, usually i use it for when we travel to friends places w/o air cleaners or worse with pets and dander. since it just attaches to any ol box fan, it's pretty light, if you use it 24/7 you have to wash it once a week. I just run water over it and put it back on the fan turned on (basically letting it air dry at the same time) My mom has it atm, and she likes it, she kinda took it from us the last time we stayed over, been too lazy to re-order one. if you don't have a box fan, theres a combo link there somewhere.

The good thing about it is that it's direct air power/filter. Check this out if you want to just test the waters and don't mind a weekly wash.
Thanks lanx! Actually do have a box fan that runs pretty constantly in the living room, but the power input is right in the middle of the back, where the filter would go. Doh! Would have to get a different box fan that has the power attaching on the bottom or side or something.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
yea i actually re-order'd one thinking we might be traveling to some pet friendly friends during the summer. Now i gotta goto home depot and pick up another box fan (moms has my original).

what brand you got? i've used the lasko and it works fine, the
Amazon.com - Lasko #3723 20-Inch Premium Box Fan 3-SPEED - Electric Household Fans

was rated as no rattle on high, that was the last one i got, think i'll pick up the same one.

btw noticed this, since you said you were AZ
We live in Arizona and the dust here is crazy so prior to the Fan Buddy I really had to dust every day or two. Now I'm able to go twice as long which is awesome.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Just ordered the Lasko premium and filter package also. Will try it out. Lots of dog dander and dust which would be nice to deal with.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
picked up a cheap lasko from walmart, it was 17bucks, it is not the quiet model, lol, but holy shit its way stronger than my previous model, it'll quiet down and loose lots of air once i put the filter on.

one thing i recommend or theres a better option, is to drill some type of anchors into your box fan, after a while the included velcro looses stickyness, so i just drilled 4 holes in there and anchored it down with nuts and bolts so bolts were sticking out to just latch it onto.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
hmm quality control must be down, 2 of my straps were reversed, facing the wrong way. But you can easily unclasped the buttons, just pull apart with a bit of force.

Crone

picked up a cheap lasko from walmart, it was 17bucks, it is not the quiet model, lol, but holy shit its way stronger than my previous model, it'll quiet down and loose lots of air once i put the filter on.

one thing i recommend or theres a better option, is to drill some type of anchors into your box fan, after a while the included velcro looses stickyness, so i just drilled 4 holes in there and anchored it down with nuts and bolts so bolts were sticking out to just latch it onto.
Pretty sure the box fan we have is a cheap Lasko from Walmart, but the power is right in the middle of the back. Can just go get another cheap one, that has the power off to the side, and then the Fan Buddy will work just fine.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
yea mine was 17bucks at walmart, no idea why, but they stacked up on top of the fridge isle (i have a super walmart w/ food), probably for immediate storage since it's summer time.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
decided to check out how nasty my basement is (i rent so it's just a big storage area for me) top right is my handprint to show contrast
rrr_img_99932.jpg

it wouldn't make a difference in my room/living room cuz i already 2 air cleaners 24/7

this is 2/3 days btw.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have the Winix Lanx linked as well a Rabbit-Air model. I'd say the Winix is the best bang for the buck, but the Rabbit air actually looks nice with their selection of art based faceplates, and has different filter combos to tackle different problems.. It also literally comes with 5 layers of different filter..

Rabbit Air | Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifiers

if it's going in a nicely decorated area, spring for the Rabbit Air, otherwise the Winix does a fine job.