Airbnb

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Has anyone booked a room through airbnb? I'm going to be in a town for a couple days where I don't know anyone, and I figure this might be an interesting alternative to booking a hotel. I found a place with a private room and I don't plan on spending much time in the apartment anyway. Also, it's rented by a girl, not some weird guy. (Then again, maybe I should be more cautious given recent history here... she only has one review.)

I may even consider renting out my apartment while I'm away. According to the site, I can get $110/night in this area. There are no other apartment in the city center listed, which I imagine would make it appealing to people traveling on business. Revenue would easily cover a professional cleaning service for when I get back.

alustforlife_sl

shitlord
I just put my LA office up in an AirBnB location in NY. It was absolutely perfect. Easy and seemless. They were basically staying in a "model home" and it was super cheap and clean. 4 beds 2 baths in Union square for about $800 a night. Much cheaper than 4 hotels rooms in the city. Highly recommend.

ethanael_sl

shitlord
No chance to use it (yet! I have thought about it), but I do know a couple of people who have used it. They seemed to like it.

Before airbnb I usedcouchsurfing.orgwhen I traveled out to San Francisco for the first time. That experience sucked. The last tenet locked her key in the place when she left and the owner was 2+ hours away... I stood in front of the place at 7p with all my stuff and it took about half-a-second to say 'fuck this' and I started searching for a hostel nearby. Thankfully, I found one and I'm double thankful that a room just opened up as I came in (good looking out, overlords).

Case in point, have a backup plan for these services. Expect the best, plan for the worst. Know where you can go if something goes wrong.