Aladdin (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

faille

Molten Core Raider
Saw it couple nights ago. Was ok.
Start really shitted me but then it improved a lot.

Biggest complaint I have, which is similar for many reboots / sequels, is they are trying to be new and different with a few surprises while also being anchored to the must have scenes from the original. Pretty much fails to achieve either fully.

Will smith was decent, but thought his material was weak. But he's being compared to Robin Williams, who was at the top of his game with top notch material and comes off second best.

At the end of the day, it's a pretty decent watch but was fairly forgettable. I'm more likely to rewatch the original cartoon again than this one.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh I agree with that, I’m saying since the movie has actually came out the reviews from people that actually watched it were mostly positive. The released material prior to movie release showcased absolutely the worst parts of the movie

Yeah I'm guessing many like me pretty much thought it was done deal it was going to be shitty, and hadn't re-checked the thread to see actual positive reviews.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Why are people comparing Robin Williams who VOICE acted this to Will smith who had actually do the actual facial movements, and dancing?

If Robin Williams would have acted this he would have done much much worse than will smith.

It is two separate things.

• 3Seriously?
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
Why are people comparing Robin Williams who VOICE acted this to Will smith who had actually do the actual facial movements, and dancing?

If Robin Williams would have acted this he would have done much much worse than will smith.

Because they're both called Aladdin, they're made by the same company with the exact same plot, drawing on the nostalgia and customer-base of both all Disney franchises and the first Aladdin, and knew that this comparison would be drawn? That's probably why there's a lot of comparison.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

While it is true that Robin Williams did not use his looks as part of the procedure, he still very much acted the part. You have no understanding of the word acting if you think what Robin Williams did with the Genie in Aladdin was NOT acting. What he did was considered perhaps his best acting role in his career and he did it "only" with his voice. A lot of what you see in the Aladdin was ad libed. The Producers let Robin Williams go and then drew the Genie to reflect the performance. Also, to imply that Robin Williams cannot act with movement....really??? He did stand up routines that involved a LOT of character movement. The only reason he did not "Act" in Aladdin was because computer animation was in its infancy when the original was made. Will Smith plays Will Smith as a genie, just as much as Robin Williams played Robin Williams as a genie. I just much preferred Robin Williams version over Will Smith's version, but they were both acted.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Have you seen Robin Williams dancing? It was atrocious.

Seems perfectly fine to me
MinorCrazyHookersealion-size_restricted.gif

• 3Worf
  • 2Barf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I saw this on the weekend and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. No where near the original, but I thought Will Smith as the genie was perfectly fine. Jafar was an incredibly weak character, especially if you compare him to the animated version. Iago was terrible. The actor who played Aladdin was mediocre at best.

Everything else was fine. Passable movie, very forgettable though.

Siliconemelons

...No where near the original...

Everything else was fine. ...very forgettable though.

This is a remake, the point of remakes is to make them better.

There has been no love action Disney that is better except Cinderella - that one improved almost every aspect of the movie

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
This is a remake, the point of remakes is to make them better.

There has been no love action Disney that is better except Cinderella - that one improved almost every aspect of the movie

No you fool, the point of a remake is to make more money.
(nm).

• 2Garbage
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Oh well...then Disney like almost everything seemingly nowadays - just keep it pushing out crap and people eat it up.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I don’t know which retard I have on ignore suggested it but if one thinks Robin Williams wasn’t as good or even better actor than Will Smith then they haven’t seen the movies referenced so far and Patch Adams and Awakenings.

• 2Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Took the kids to see this last week and this type of movie will be judged on what they think since at the end of the day it's a kids/family movie. They both liked it. Not great I got to see it again but good/average. Which I guess is a step up from the expectations? Will Smith was the highlight of the movie which is impressive considering his pedigree. Whole New World was sung/filmed great. So if you have kids that are into Disney, it's probably worth it to go see it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I don’t know which retard I have on ignore suggested it but if one thinks Robin Williams wasn’t as good or even better actor than Will Smith then they haven’t seen the movies referenced so far and Patch Adams and Awakenings.
he was really excellent when he wasnt in hyper retard mode. he can tone that shit down when he wants to. Moscow On The Hudson, Awakenings and Goodwill Hunting are good examples of this. yeah i liked that Mork from Ork shit when i was 10 years old, but i also liked gilligan's island too. those views dont age well.

Siliconemelons

A whole new world in this was horrific. And the filming was not good either... it kept it...more...real?

It kept them in-game and in-local - that imo is not as wondrous as the first where it literally took you around the world and showed "wonder by wonder"

This was an emotionally stunted saunter around the maybe countryside of the city.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
A whole new world in this was horrific. And the filming was not good either... it kept it...more...real?

It kept them in-game and in-local - that imo is not as wondrous as the first where it literally took you around the world and showed "wonder by wonder"

This was an emotionally stunted saunter around the maybe countryside of the city.

One of the things they flew over (in the current movie) was the Pridelands from Lion King.