Alaska

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is the place where the contender for VP of the USA got drunk and beat up her neighbors.
That's the fun part of Alaska. I love being "Valley Trash." I can either scream go back to Anchorage or California according to how shitty the person is.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
True story about my only interaction with Alaska: I graduated high school in 1989 and had a number of scholarships full and partial to schools of varying prestige levels. One day I get an unsolicited letter and packet from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks. I know very little about the state other than its big (bigger than Texas, humph) and the capital and have to look to see where Fairbanks is. Open the letter and its someone telling me they are offering me a full, four-year academic ride. This is the winter of 88/January 89 and the "Siberian Express" is blowing through, and on the news at that moment we are discussing this, they announce that its -60 below in of all places, Fairbanks, AK. I took the letter, packet and all the material and threw it in the trash and never looked back.

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
True story about my only interaction with Alaska: I graduated high school in 1989 and had a number of scholarships full and partial to schools of varying prestige levels. One day I get an unsolicited letter and packet from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks. I know very little about the state other than its big (bigger than Texas, humph) and the capital and have to look to see where Fairbanks is. Open the letter and its someone telling me they are offering me a full, four-year academic ride. This is the winter of 88/January 89 and the "Siberian Express" is blowing through, and on the news at that moment we are discussing this, they announce that its -60 below in of all places, Fairbanks, AK. I took the letter, packet and all the material and threw it in the trash and never looked back.
Fairbanks is a dry cold... you would have been fine.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Fairbanks is a dry cold... you would have been fine.
I'm sure, and nothing wrong with all points north. I have worked with folks who have seen it really cold in Michigan's UP, like 40 below and I have friends in Calgary and they get by just fine. I really hate cold weather, though, and embody that most Texan of jokes: "I thought about moving way up north but Dallas was just too cold." Phoenix is too brown and Florida is too much like the Gulf of Mexico's uvula.