6. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
5. Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
4. Tame Impala - Lonerism
3. Burial - Kindred EP
2. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
1. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

shattuck_sl

shitlord
Pretty crappy year for music IMO. I'm a huge Why? fan and was pretty disappointed by Mumps, etc. so that just kind of makes me bitter. Despite that, the album I've enjoyed the most so far this (past) year was Allo darlin - Europe

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Now I'm not trying to be rude or anything here just honest. With that said I must be seriously out of touch with what Good Music is today. I tried listening to a few of the groups on Hams list and felt they were all full of awful terrible noise. I feel like there's something I'm missing and that I just don't Get It with a lot of the music posted on this board and the old Millie's Music House.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Pretty slow year for metal. Dethalbum 3 was probably the biggest disappointment of the year...just generic "collect a paycheck" type shit that will prevent me from buying a Dethalbum 4.

Might have to bend the rules a bit, but I'd have to say I probably listened to Imaginaerum from Nightwish more than anything else. Technically released in Nov of '11, but didn't hit the states till early Jan.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Now I'm not trying to be rude or anything here just honest. With that said I must be seriously out of touch with what Good Music is today. I tried listening to a few of the groups on Hams list and felt they were all full of awful terrible noise. I feel like there's something I'm missing and that I just don't Get It with a lot of the music posted on this board and the old Millie's Music House.
I'm not down with most other board members' tastes either. I'm a fan of almost anything under the rock umbrella and I'm surprised at how few of that there is to be found here. Electronic music and overly atmospheric indie music seems to be all the craze. And I'm not really down with that.

shattuck_sl

shitlord
I used to feel this way, and I'm not trying to say that in a way that suggests musical superiority. But I did used to be almost exclusively classic rock and metal, and started listening to some music Ham had mentioned on the old board in 2006 that, at first, sounded like junk to me. It just took me a longer time to adjust to it than what I was used to, which almost instantly sounded good to me (stuff like Zeppelin and Metallica).

It'll either take a while, or like you said, maybe it's just not your thing. But I would never expect someone who's never listened to the genre before to instantly enjoy Beach House or Twin Shadow

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just curious~ What'd you listen to specifically? And what are some recent bands you could name that you'd say caught your attention?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm not down with most other board members' tastes either. I'm a fan of almost anything under the rock umbrella and I'm surprised at how few of that there is to be found here. Electronic music and overly atmospheric indie music seems to be all the craze. And I'm not really down with that.
Same here. I'm in my mid 30s now and I find that while I still have an open mind to new music, and I don't limit myself to listening to nothing but music from my teenage years or college days like some people do forever, I find my patience for new music has declined somewhat. If it's a new band/artist that I'm not familiar with, the first couple songs I hear from them REALLY have to grab my attention or I'm done with them. I don't have the patience to listen through a new album multiple times to let it grow on me unless it's an artist I already like with a new release.

It won't be a popular choice here(too mainstream), but my album of the year would be Jack White'sBlunderbuss, not only is he one of my favorite artists, but the album was instantly memorable with great songs.

Unfortunately, I've never been into electronic music/DJs, and the music industry keeps pushing that direction more and more. I'm a person that feels like autotune is the worst monstrosity ever created, dubstep is an abomination, and synthesizers should almost never be used, they've offended me ever since Eddie Van Halen picked one up back in 1984.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Like Ham, I'm curious to know what sort of stuff you are into. "Good Music" today, as in critically acclaimed music, spans just about every genre. Also, how do you listen to music? Me, certain things I'll listen to in the car, certain things I'll listen to with headphones on, lights off and nothing else going on, certain things I'll listen to as background music when people visit, and so on. For instance, I really like Burial's Kindred EP, but it's not the sort of thing I tend to listen to in the car. Instead I listen to it on headphones and devote my complete attention to it. Doing so, I find I notice things I never would have listening another way. I'll listen to something like Japandroids -- anthemic rock -- in the car. If you want to try to "get it" then it make take listening in a certain way. If you don't want to futz with that there are likely critically acclaimed bands making music in your fav. genre.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I actually should have used "enjoyable" instead of "good". I have no problem saying that there is some music that I don't enjoy and won't ever enjoy but that doesn't make it bad music. Just something I don't enjoy listening to.
Death Cab for Cutie still remains my favorite band to listen to. I know some people have said they've sold out with recent albums but I still find them as enjoyable as ever. Other bands off the top of my head that I've been enjoying lately new or not so new are Of Monsters and Men, Gaslight Anthem, The Black Keys, Atlas Genius, Alabama Shakes, The Lumineers, M83, Passion Pit, Two Door Cinema Club, and Imagine Dragons. Which I'm sure some will call most of that radio garbage but meh it's what fits my mood lately. I do like harder stuff also. I just haven't listened to much from any of those genres lately.
As far as how I listen to music I have different song styles for when I'm sitting at my PC streaming stuff on Pandora, listening to stuff while I'm walking my dogs, background music just to have on around the house, or even just taking a shower. They're all different sounds. Some are harder than others and some much softer than others.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Gotta say I'm confused by your previous post then; you listed a number of contemporary bands you enjoy.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
My first post was about listening to frank ocean, kendrick lammar, grimes and a couple others I don't recall and thinking. Wow I do not like this music. This is the good stuff of 2012? I must be listening to shit then.
Bottom line I feel a bit out of touch with some of these new acts. And a LOT of people, not just this board, are saying these acts (Hams list) are off the charts amazing and I just don't Get It.
I didn't mean to blow this thing out of proportion and derail the thread so my apologies for doing that.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
They're an acquired taste for sure. I grew up on R&B which is why I loved that Frank Ocean album (and the weeknd albums before it), Lamar is a love or hate type thing, but bands like Grimes, Why? etc I would compare to Animal Collective, that type of sound either catches you or it doesn't. I bet you'd really like the Tame Impala album

Musab

Molten Core Raider
For me it's
Interludes After Midnight- Blockhead

That Lamar album is just turrible. Joey badass' and Freddie Gibbs' mix tapes crush that LP.

Jayblah_sl

shitlord
Have you given Beach House's Bloom a listen? If that's "awful terrible noise" to you, I'm not really sure what to say.

Now, if you applied that to Ham's top 3, I would agree with you.
tongue.png
Ham and I share similar musical tastes, but the comparison to The Weeknd is baffling. The Frank Ocean album is overrated to the point of comedy (probably because he "came out"). Half the tracks are literally "awful terrible noise" and filler. The only track I found memorable is "Thinking Bout You". As far as "modern R&B" offerings go, I thought the Miguel album wasmuchbetter and it's not on anyone's list so far. channel ORANGE wishes it had "Use Me" on it.

Go figure.