Alice in Borderland

Ome

Molten Core Raider
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Alice in Borderland

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2020-12-10

Creator: Yoshiki Watabe, Kuramitsu Yasuko

Cast: Kento Yamazaki, Tao Tsuchiya, Nijiro Murakami, Yuki Morinaga, Keita Machida, Ayame Misaki, Aya Asahina, Kyotaro Tamura, Ayaka Miyoshi, Dôri Sakurada, Shuntarô Yanagi, Yutaro Watanabe, Mizuki Yoshida, Tsuyoshi Abe, Nobuaki Kaneko, Sho Aoyagi, Riisa Naka, Shigemitsu Ogi, Reiko Kataoka, Shuichiro Masuda, Ako, Ode Nanako, Kazuhiko Ozaki, Yuki Tayama, Shunta Ito

Overview: With his two friends, a video-game-obsessed young man finds himself in a strange version of Tokyo where they must compete in dangerous games to win.

Caliane

I watched s1 the other day. probably not going to continue with s2.

its very anime/manga with its tropes and writing. I didn't enjoy it as much as squidgame. or even makers game on netflix..

Squidgame is more human in its focus. feels more personal. And as crazy as the premise is, Alice in borderlands just abandons that for full scifi bullshittery. The games are more hostile as well, and less gamelike.
Criticized squidgame on its "fairness" at times. but, it at least pretended to try to be fair. the games here just seem to be games designed to murder. no winners. and thats not. .fun. Its the psycho Riddler problem. A riddle is MEANT to be solved. If you the creator of the riddle create a riddle the person can't solve, its YOU that failed. people who write the riddler as a psychopath TRYING to stump batman, or kill people with riddles they can't solve, don't understand Riddlers or the fun of the character. Its very easy to make a riddle no one can solve. its easy to make a puzzle no one can solve. its easy to program a game no one can win. rocks fall, everyone dies. The Challenge is creating something that they CAN safely navigate.

winners in this seem to be a second thought. Evident from the first "game", where the "solution" was incorrect, and just basically dumb luck.
so, some crazy A.I. or whatever shit they end up going with, just murdering people for fun isn't as interesting.

just fyi, Aya Asahina aka Hikari is not actually trans irl. shes 100% female. in case anyone was thinking, "no fucking way" you would be correct.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched s1 the other day. probably not going to continue with s2.

its very anime/manga with its tropes and writing. I didn't enjoy it as much as squidgame. or even makers game on netflix..

Squidgame is more human in its focus. feels more personal. And as crazy as the premise is, Alice in borderlands just abandons that for full scifi bullshittery. The games are more hostile as well, and less gamelike.
Criticized squidgame on its "fairness" at times. but, it at least pretended to try to be fair. the games here just seem to be games designed to murder. no winners. and thats not. .fun. Its the psycho Riddler problem. A riddle is MEANT to be solved. If you the creator of the riddle create a riddle the person can't solve, its YOU that failed. people who write the riddler as a psychopath TRYING to stump batman, or kill people with riddles they can't solve, don't understand Riddlers or the fun of the character. Its very easy to make a riddle no one can solve. its easy to make a puzzle no one can solve. its easy to program a game no one can win. rocks fall, everyone dies. The Challenge is creating something that they CAN safely navigate.

winners in this seem to be a second thought. Evident from the first "game", where the "solution" was incorrect, and just basically dumb luck.
so, some crazy A.I. or whatever shit they end up going with, just murdering people for fun isn't as interesting.

just fyi, Aya Asahina aka Hikari is not actually trans irl. shes 100% female. in case anyone was thinking, "no fucking way" you would be correct.
S2 is probably heavier on the anime tropes. It concludes the series and resolves what borderlands is if you care. The hearts games in s2 are good.

Juvarisx

Florida
Was this a squid games ripoff but with tokyo?

Squid games would have been the one copying. It's kinda like it but without the social commentary, people are just stuck there its not a commentary on capitalism.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Like it. It kind of felt like a tame version of Gantz (or maybe rather a cross between Gantz and Kaiji ?)

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
This show was cool as shit. The characters are likable and it’s easy to root for them to not get killed. You also get cool guys like the band in season 2 and the crazy jail / math logic games that are super fun (till the acid melts people, that’s a bit much).

Great for a shitty weather / hangover day

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
This show is wild.. most of the games in s2 were excellent and the show actually ended cleanly.. such a rarity.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So is this actually any good? Because each episode into season 1 so far seems to get worse than the previous (2 episodes left).

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
It's very Japanese. If you like the high stakes games and philosophical conversations then it's good. If you don't then you'd probably hate it.

Second half of S1 was a bit rough for me although it did pick up right at the end. S2 was mostly great IMO.

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Games were good but the acting was terrible. I actually cant tell if it is the acting or just me not liking the characters (esp the two main characters). Too animesque.

spronk

FPS noob
I liked it, there is a definitive ending at the end of season 2 and i don't believe the show is returning. I didn't really like the ending very much, and end of the day I think Squid Game is the better show but if you like anime shit this is a fun relatively short watch.

The main male character is definitely annoying

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It was a novelty. Some of the games were pretty cool. Philosophical shit and endless flashbacks were tiresome. Acting was pretty terrible, as was the dialog but I imagine that's owing to translation somewhat. Fell asleep multiple times trying to watch the final episode. Thought the tea party would never end.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
A bit sad since the show ended quite well and it doesn't need a season 3, although they did leave a few unanswered questions which I guess they can explore. Not sure what they're going to do to get people back into borderland though if that is what's going to happen.. Or maybe they never actually escaped............

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A bit sad since the show ended quite well and it doesn't need a season 3, although they did leave a few unanswered questions which I guess they can explore. Not sure what they're going to do to get people back into borderland though if that is what's going to happen.. Or maybe they never actually escaped............
Apparently there’s more source material. Alice in Borderlands: Retry. Reading a quick summary it sounds like a weak re-hash to stick the main protagonist back and run more games.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database