Alien: Covenant (2017)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have faith in Noah even though his work is limited but first couple seasons of Fargo were incredible and legion was good but got way out there for me at some point

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
All the Aliens on Earth stuff I ever read ends with the xenomorphs taking over and wrecking most of humanity.
Of course! They are the perfect killing machines. Unfeeling, remorseless. Their very blood damages everything. They are the biological equivalent of the self-replicating AI machines that similar sci-fi have ravaging the universe. They are the borg, they are the Tyranids.

That is why they make such great villains, in small scale encounter movies. It is a win just to escape with your life and burn everything behind you to ash.

But they kinda lose practical application in wider scope prospective entertainment.

The first was a great horror movie. The second was an amazing action/horror movie. The rest kind of degraded into poor versions of the first two combined. Covenant may have been the worst of the lot just because the characters were as, or even more, stupid than the morons in Prometheus.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
They also clearly ignore thermodynamic laws and grow to full size without consuming anything.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They also clearly ignore thermodynamic laws and grow to full size without consuming anything.

This has been getting worse and worse as the franchise progresses. Now Aliens grow to full size in a few minutes with zero consumption.

Not that they were ever realistic about it, but now they don't even try.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The fucking idiot is sniffing his own farts. This is a quote from him regarding the Alien movies:

“Those are great monster movies, but they’re not just monster movies. They’re about humanity trapped between our primordial, parasitic past and our artificial intelligence future—and they’re both trying to kill us. Here you have human beings and they can’t go forward and they can’t go back. So I find that really interesting.”

No, they are not. They are about the horror of realizing that the alien life forms are not little grey men that want to share technology; they are Darwin's wettest dream come to life.
Oh, and if I remember correctly, part of the horror of the original Alien was embedded in the terror of sexual assault/rape/penetration. I could be wrong but I believe the death scenes had a lot of sexual overtones, with the alien's tail and the small, penis-shaped inner mouth.....the face hugger with it's "dick" thrust down your throat and unable to be removed, and the hatchling BURSTING out of the stomach, also kinda looking like a dick. I think THAT was the only subtle overtone to the movie, not some existential study in our place in evolution.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider

A deleted scene in the original film had the Chestburster pillage the Nostromo's food stores before molting to grow to its adult size, and the crew discovering said pillaging shortly before the first attack on a crew member.

Same as the age old question about when a xenomorph is alone, how does it make eggs without a queen (queens were made up for the second film, Ridley Scott hates the hive system but personally I like it)? The first film had another deleted scene where the first two captured crew members are found stuck to a bulkhead with mucus and have been injected with venom from the alien's tail that slowly morphs them into eggs.

Goatface

the prefect setup would be them to be born with enough energy to grow. like have a pellet of super compressed royal jelly or the like.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
the prefect setup would be them to be born with enough energy to grow. like have a pellet of super compressed royal jelly or the like.
I don't think it's possible to even compress down enough calories to achieve that for the size differential from chest burster to full sized xeno.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Also iirc, the xenomorphs are silicon based life forms.

they shouldn’t be able to eat us or anything that we could eat for sustenance

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This has been getting worse and worse as the franchise progresses. Now Aliens grow to full size in a few minutes with zero consumption.

Not that they were ever realistic about it, but now they don't even try.
Yeah thats always been one of the absolute worst aspects of the series. Within 2-3 hours you go from bursting out of the chest to full sized Alien. Aliens was probably the most realistic, the Marines dont show up for a period of time until after the colonist had been harvested so it makes sense there are a lot of fully developed Aliens.

Really though when you sit down and think about it a lot of the biology of Aliens are not logical or realistic in anyway, but the first two where so well made in every other facet it didnt really matter. You would die of asphyxiation or heart failure due to the developing chestburster crushing your lungs and heart long before it could burst out of your chest. The whole super acid blood is wholly unrealistic, while there are incredibly corrosive substances like piranha solution theres no universal acid that is incredibly corrosive to every thing.
Oh, and if I remember correctly, part of the horror of the original Alien was embedded in the terror of sexual assault/rape/penetration. I could be wrong but I believe the death scenes had a lot of sexual overtones, with the alien's tail and the small, penis-shaped inner mouth.....the face hugger with it's "dick" thrust down your throat and unable to be removed, and the hatchling BURSTING out of the stomach, also kinda looking like a dick. I think THAT was the only subtle overtone to the movie, not some existential study in our place in evolution.
HR Giger did love him penis inspired demons. I dont think the sexual allusions are the kicker though, its the escalating violence. First you get strangled/roofied, then youre left with a parasite that will violently burst out of your chest and eventually turn into a incredibly efficient predator.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
You guys do realize that these are movies, right? Like, they don't have to follow the actual laws of physics, because it's a fucking movie? The original 2 movies were good because they were simple. First one was a slasher film set in space, the second one was an action movie, set in space. No need to overthink anything.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No need to overthink anything.
Perfectly acceptable if the movie is one off, but once you start making sequels that establish a universe its only natural you start thinking about the connections each addition makes and if they are consistent with each other.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You guys do realize that these are movies, right? Like, they don't have to follow the actual laws of physics, because it's a fucking movie? The original 2 movies were good because they were simple. First one was a slasher film set in space, the second one was an action movie, set in space. No need to overthink anything.
We are nerds

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider

If memory serves this was discussed in Starlog Magazine. I believe they had to cut part of Lambert's death out since it was perceived that way.

Man I miss Starlog. Don't know how it would survive today though...

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i feel like it was just yesterday this piece of shit was discussed. 2017, man the years fly.

Goatface

was looking around at a few sites, didn't see any proof, but apparently in some game it was explained they can eat anything. guess they are walking mr fusions

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Perfectly acceptable if the movie is one off, but once you start making sequels that establish a universe its only natural you start thinking about the connections each addition makes and if they are consistent with each other.

I gave up on this franchise after Aliens. Everything after the second movie is dog shit. Just like everything after ROTJ in the Star Wars universe is dog shit. Sorry, but sometimes you just gotta cut your losses.

• 1Solidarity

Grez

Trakanon Raider
Also iirc, the xenomorphs are silicon based life forms.

they shouldn’t be able to eat us or anything that we could eat for sustenance
What if they were both silicon and carbon-based lifeforms? Somehow able to utilize both depending upon availability. As a molecular biologist, this makes my head fucking explode, but fuck it, it's scifi! Wheeeeeeee!

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In the Earth War comic series and one other it was implied that they were basically super efficient at metabolizing anything. In fact they ended up on earth because there was a thing called "Xeno Zip" that was like a miracle drug the corps wanted them for. Same sources also filled in backstory that they were not actually designed but a very prolific race that reproduced like mad because there was an apex predator in their ecosystem that forced them to basically be like tribbles, eating everything and making more of themselves constantly. In that comic, the builders civilization (who liked like big elephant headed dudes) tried to harness them for the same purpose but got overrun by the xenos when they lost control of them as well and were basically how the xenos got off their home world in the first place. Too bad those stories were not made into moves, because they were way better.