Alien: Romulus (2024)

JTMiscer

Golden Knight of the Realm
The original Prometheus script was a lot more interesting than what we got with the theatrical film + Convenant. I can see why it needed a rewrite b/c it was a bit too on the nose with the religious stuff. But it at least fleshed out the Engineers, how they operated, pyramids that could terraform, Earth visits, motivations, etc. Lindelof basically ditched 90% of it and just threw a bunch of random shit in there that made no sense.

I was hoping Covenant was going to continue with its prologue but it just wasn't what I wanted.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I applaud your optimism, but look into your heart.....what does it tell you?

Let me break it down for you.

- Predator: fucked in the modern age
- Star Wars: fucked in the modern age
- Star Trek: fucked in the modern age
- Aliens: ?????

I think we all know the answer.
Oh!oh!

Fucked in the modem age.

Nailed it.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Oh!oh!

Fucked in the modem age.

Nailed it.
Clint Eastwood Nod GIF by GritTV

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This got me thinking about the Thing remake by John Carpenter, which was panned on release by a bunch of worthless critics, despite being a superb movie, better perhaps than Scott Ridley’s Alien.

Cameron’s Aliens, I’d probably place higher but also that was an entirely different move (less horror, more action).

Of course they did the 2011 “prequel”, which was more or less just a remake with a female lead, fairly mediocre.

Outside of the 1982 movie, there’s the short story the Things, by Watts, which is the only material to come out of the “franchise”, that is comparably as brilliant, being written from the perspective of the “Thing” it seems like every 20 years or so, you get a solid action movie and maybe every 30 years a good to great horror movie. I wonder if we see that cycle continue, as the media has become sputal garbage, run by sputal garbage

A few thoughts on classics that got remade:

IMO The Thing 1982 is probably on the shortlist for best movie of all time. It says a lot that Quentin Tarantino's best movie, Hateful Eight, was heavily based on The Thing and even had the same star and composer.

The 2011 prequel didn't understand what made the 1982 movie great, and turned the monster into a rampaging beast rather than a subversive hidden menace.

The 1953 original is also quite overrated and didn't follow the original short story from the 30's nearly as well as the 1982 movie did.

If The Thing 82 isn't the best movie of all time, it's certainly in the top 2 or 3 in a bunch of categories. Best horror movie, best "space" movie, best survival movie.

I'd put Body Snatchers '77 up there in the same rarified air, though the original 50's movie preceeding that one is much closer in quality than the 50's Thing movie is to its remake. To this day, Body Snatchers '77 fills me with existential Dread, and most certainly functions as an allegory for authoritarian communism or some other subversive religion taking hold in a culture that didn't expect it.

War of the Worlds is one movie that I'd put well above any of it'd remakes. Though the 1990 TV show was actually pretty incredible and functions as the only real sequel to the movie IMO. It's two seasons and well worth buying. The first season is by far superior to the second, if one only gets one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

What are the odds that this will be the secret third movie in the Prometheus trilogy? It looks like it transpires on a space station full of sleeping colonists, there seems to be a horde of aliens, and the colonists were being killed in their hibernation pods.

This is pretty much exactly how Alien Covenant ended, with David about to use hibernating colonists to create an army of xenomorphs, using a bunch of face hugger embryos that he had to incubate for a while.

Since Ridley Scott is involved it's hard for me to believe he'd just drop the Prometheus trilogy unfinished to do some random Alien story instead.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
A few thoughts on classics that got remade:

IMO The Thing 1982 is probably on the shortlist for best movie of all time. It says a lot that Quentin Tarantino's best movie, Hateful Eight, was heavily based on The Thing and even had the same star and composer.

The 2011 prequel didn't understand what made the 1982 movie great, and turned the monster into a rampaging beast rather than a subversive hidden menace.

The 1953 original is also quite overrated and didn't follow the original short story from the 30's nearly as well as the 1982 movie did.

If The Thing 82 isn't the best movie of all time, it's certainly in the top 2 or 3 in a bunch of categories. Best horror movie, best "space" movie, best survival movie.

I'd put Body Snatchers '77 up there in the same rarified air, though the original 50's movie preceeding that one is much closer in quality than the 50's Thing movie is to its remake. To this day, Body Snatchers '77 fills me with existential Dread, and most certainly functions as an allegory for authoritarian communism or some other subversive religion taking hold in a culture that didn't expect it.

War of the Worlds is one movie that I'd put well above any of it'd remakes. Though the 1990 TV show was actually pretty incredible and functions as the only real sequel to the movie IMO. It's two seasons and well worth buying. The first season is by far superior to the second, if one only gets one.
Was on the 90s but it was the '80s when The war of the world show was on TV. They have the one that was set and at the time present day, but then they did an offshoot show where the the Martian said already taken over and it was this dystopia apocalyptic sort of world, and it was the resistance fighting against the totalitarian alien regime.

I watched every episode back in second and third grade as a kid. Trust me on this.

I do agree with a lot of your statements though...😉