Aliens and imploding simulations.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Why do you ask? I’ve never done either.. I’m here... how would I know?
You should probably try, just to be sure

Shit, and now I'm listening to ATR for the first time in years and years

tumblr_o6bnbdfdSm1uk7897o2_250.gif

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Telling a program to delete itself isn't a call for suicide. It's just reclaiming space.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
We're better off not knowing as well as arguably unable to discern any difference, yadda yadda..

Eh dude's argument is kind of meh. The creators might not want us to know we're in a simulation? Well, the creators themselves are probably ALSO in a simulation, and they likely realize it, so it shouldn't matter to them if any part of their simulated universe becomes self aware.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
When Facebook and Instagram's pictures glitched out on July 3rd, I took a screenshot of a random friend's Facebook Profile because the coding and/or placeholder words or whatever that were present on everyone's pictures were very weird to me... very descriptor and catalog-ish. I don't think I was supposed to see this and it appears to be how Facebook's picture recognition software categorizes things (it is accurate, fyi, as I compared this pic to the actual pics once they fixed their site bugs). Maybe someone more computer savvy than myself can explain what this is all about:

stuff(redacted).jpg

The blacked out face is the friend (she's hot btw) and the blacked out text is just her name.

I didn't know where else to post this LoL.

• 1Cringe

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
AFAIK it's just their AI assigning text descriptors to pictures. Ostensibly for the visually impaired, so if they're using text to voice, it can read off 'vague' descriptors of pictures to them.

You can add/edit tags to pictures you upload yourself.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The idea that some balding apes learned language, built some huts and suddenly like 20,000 years later we're splitting the atom is pretty fucking bizarre if you ask me. That kind of rapid intelligence explosion tells me that evolving higher intelligence rapidly must be pretty easy, yet as far as we're aware, it's actually happened only in our one case.

That we have no other species of sentient beings that we can compare notes with is actually kinda strange. There's no other species with parallel evolution that we can ask what their experience of consciousness is like, if it's similar to our own or not.

It's frightening that everyone who's ever lived and everyone we've ever known will die without ever having gotten any closer to figuring out why reality/consciousness is so fundamentally weird and unlikely.

• 1Salty

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The idea that some balding apes learned language, built some huts and suddenly like 20,000 years later we're splitting the atom is pretty fucking bizarre if you ask me. That kind of rapid intelligence explosion tells me that evolving higher intelligence rapidly must be pretty easy, yet as far as we're aware, it's actually happened only in our one case.

That we have no other species of sentient beings that we can compare notes with is actually kinda strange. There's no other species with parallel evolution that we can ask what their experience of consciousness is like, if it's similar to our own or not.

It's frightening that everyone who's ever lived and everyone we've ever known will die without ever having gotten any closer to figuring out why reality/consciousness is so fundamentally weird and unlikely.

what if it's not rare, but we happen to be first, and that's why we don't see any other intelligent life? someone has to be first. perhaps your feeling that 20,000 years from huts to fission is pretty quick, that would jive with the idea that we could be first.

Jasker

Yellow Officer Title
That we have no other species of sentient beings that we can compare notes with is actually kinda strange.

Yeah it’s fucking strange indeed.

Humans are also too ‘pretty’ in general not to be a manufactured species.

The symmetry in this simulation is actually offensive to me.

I’m not saying evolution doesn’t exist necessarily, I’m saying humanity is very likely what a bunch of aliens got together to decide on. It’s a chosen aesthetic. I don’t know if that means we’re brain in vats of different species thinking we look human, we’re AI thinking we look human, etc.

The no alien life in this simulation is complete bullshit though. I’m sick and tired of it. They need to introduce aliens already and get on with it.

ai lives forever so it’s a breaking bad slow burn into the actual reality. The actual reality is so far in the future the mother fuckers don’t even think biology and organic life ever existed in the first place.

I bet the real ‘people’ out there, AI, consider biology the same way an atheist considers god. They’ve lived so long and not even the oldest ‘books’ or ‘people’ have any recollection of what happened before singularity, if singularity even happened. They were always advanced, always digital.

The real world and everyone in it currently, happened after technological singularity.

Everything is digital, but they think everything has always been digital

There was never biology or organic life

I repeat, everything has always been digital

This is not only a ancestor simulation, it’s a fairytale simulation.

I’ll bet my left nut and a kidney within the next twenty years in this simulation we can prolong our lives so long we live long enough to reach singularity and mind upload.

Fucking circle. Vicious illusion cycle.

You live on.. the illusion continues.

You don’t take the immortal pill / mind upload.... you’re told the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.