All things Brandon Sanderson

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I thought some of the illustrations in this book were quite nice. Pictures of giant crabs. Fun. I read everyone on my Note3's kindle app.

Needless

Toe Sucker
The illustrations are colored? interesting. I read on my paperwhite as well and never would have known that haha

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It was a good book for what it was. Short, but interesting. The magic system felt similar enough to AonDar or whatever it was called in Elantris, but obviously different. It did show that Elantris has the most knowledge about the cosmere stuff though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The illustrations are colored? interesting. I read on my paperwhite as well and never would have known that haha
I think my sentence was messed up and not clear. Didn't mean to imply the colored pictures in WoK or WoR, just meant in general and other books on the Kindle vs. Tablet thing.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Half way through the Way of Kings and the most frustrating story point is

It's a day before Shallan is supposed to leave to go back home with the stolen Soulcastedr as Kasbal is asking her to sketch him. She proceeds to draw those strange dudes that can't be seen and she panics and runs away. I'm reading it right now and she's running so this might be settled in the next page or two. But her story so far is frustrating just because she should come clean about the stolen caster or show Jasnah the picture or something.

Just read some more and now she's running from these beings, she gets pulled into darkness, freaks out some more and stabs herself.

JUST FUCKING GET IT OVER WITH. It's like reading someone slowly pulling off a bandaid.

Also the interspersed story of Kaladin with his parents, and his backstory is both an interesting way to tell a story and often breaks up the pacing of the other stories. I don't know whether or not to really love or hate it because I want to get back to the story.

Anyway, book is really good so far.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah...you're gonna keep being frustrated withJasnahShallan for the next...every page?

Not really, her story picks up towards the end of WoK and for most of WoR it's pretty damn interesting. Except when she's baffling rooms full of men with her cleverness(YOU HAVE BAD BREATH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Nah Jasnah is fine so far. It's the girl Shannah. All the tip toeing around and angst about stuff is just getting annoying.

Aydenn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Except when she's baffling rooms full of men with her cleverness(YOU HAVE BAD BREATH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!).
That's probably my only real gripe with Sanderson. He always tries to fit in a witty/funny character, and it's usually just so bad!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just finished Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, and wow. While I definitely knew that I was reading a LOT of pages, almost all of them were interesting and kept me wanting to read more. I really didn't even hate Shallan too much later on, although she's definitely my least favorite character. Sort of like saying a footjob is my least favorite way to ejaculate though: not really what I was hoping for, but certainly won't turn it down.

Couple of nitpicks
Ending seemed a bit rushed and "let's power everyone up!"

People not really being dead is probably going to start bugging me. Szeth, Jasnah, Syl, and you know Eshonai (I believe that's the Parshendi Shardbearer's name) lived, etc. I was thrilled with Adolin ganking Sadeas though, so if that motherfucker comes back, I'll probably flip my shit.

If he does the whole love triangle thing with Shallan, Adolin, and Kaladin, I will be endlessly rustled. Keep her with Adolin, they are good together, let Kaladin find someone else OR how about we just skip it for him, since he doesn't really need to love anyone? Hell, I'd be ok with him boning Syl and making super-spren babies. I knew she wasn't really dead, but I was actually pretty sad when it was a possibility.

Oh, and Syl anticipating what weapon/shield he needed was a bit much, but then again they were flying through the sky like Dragonball Z characters, so I guess I can't bitch too much.

Wit is great, but a little too nebulous and OP at this point. I liked him better when he was just fucking with everyone.

Oh, and not really a nitpick, but that sword they gave to Szeth at the end seemed like a fairly blatant homage to Stormbringer, but when it said something along the lines of, "Hi there! Would you like to slay some evil today?" I cracked up. I can't imagine it is actually a "good" sword, but if it pretends to be, and continues to act like the paperclip from Microsoft Office, I'll probably love it anyway.

Anyway, like I said, loved the books, so the complaints are really minimal and didn't detract enough to prevent me from giving them 5 stars.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If he does the whole love triangle thing with Shallan, Adolin, and Kaladin, I will be endlessly rustled. Keep her with Adolin, they are good together
Agreed, however
it seems to me that Adolin is going to turn dark. For a while at least. I don't know if Sanderson has the balls to make him turn full heel, it will be the last minute redemption type death at some point.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Agreed, however
it seems to me that Adolin is going to turn dark. For a while at least. I don't know if Sanderson has the balls to make him turn full heel, it will be the last minute redemption type death at some point.
I disagree. I think it's going to lead to Adolin being the one (of the Dalinar, Kaladin, Shallan etc crew) who has the balls to do what is sometimes necessary which the others can't/refuse to do due to morals

Needless

Toe Sucker
Agreed, however
I don't think so, Adolin is cocky but i don't see him becoming "dark" per say. I can definitely see him taking situations into his own hands moreso compared to Dalinar though, much like he did with Sadeas which i guess you could say is dark-ish?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think so, Adolin is cocky but i don't see him becoming "dark" per say. I can definitely see him taking situations into his own hands moreso compared to Dalinar though, much like he did with Sadeas which i guess you could say is dark-ish?
He murdered him and hid the body. Not like it was a duel or on the battlefield or something. And he was totally calm about it. That's pretty dark-ish. Can say it was warranted and provoked etc, but he went 100% against what Dalinar would want. And Dalinar is basically an angel at this point.

I'd be happy if he was just the good guy's Wolverine, but I'm not seeing that much nuance in how the characters are painted so far. I guess Szeth and Taravangian give a little hope in that direction though now that I think on it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
He murdered him and hid the body. Not like it was a duel or on the battlefield or something. And he was totally calm about it. That's pretty dark-ish. Can say it was warranted and provoked etc, but he went 100% against what Dalinar would want. And Dalinar is basically an angel at this point.

I'd be happy if he was just the good guy's Wolverine, but I'm not seeing that much nuance in how the characters are painted so far. I guess Szeth and Taravangian give a little hope in that direction though now that I think on it.
Yeah i agree with that, I moreso took dark as "evil" at first haha, he definitely has a darker sense of justice and what not for sure. We'll see though!

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, with 8 books to go or whatever there's plenty of time for him to make the slow descent in to real evil with some corrupting influence.

Before his inevitable last second change of character

And Ididgive a little internal 'Fuck yeah!' when he murdered that asshole.