All things Brandon Sanderson

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm only halfway through, but I have to say, I just hate villains in books like these. I can't relate at all to Sadeus or Amaram or whoever. Like, the world is fucking ending, and you're engaging in court politics. It's so frustrating to read. Not that it's unrealistic, probably the same shit would happen here. Just frustrating.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well part of the whole deal seems to be that all the Knight's Radiant are 'broken' in some way or form which is what lets them become what they are. I'm like 23 chapters in and I still feel like I'm getting back up to speed on how this world works having forgotten so much of what came before.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seemed like a lot less Kaladin in this book given its size, and a lot of stronk womyns.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I’m about 3/4 of the way through Oathbringer.

Which one was winter’s heart? Was that the one where it shows what everyone else in the world was doing when Rand and Nnayeve were doing their thing with the ter’angreal or whatever?

As far as Oathbringer goes, I’ve enjoyed it so far. Will second what someone said before, kinda slow-moving. Interesting though, particularly the chapter-intros once you realize what they are.

A little too much time spent being detectives in Kholinar though. I wanted to see them land there and bust shit up, but instead they’re doing more of a covert operation. I suppose that’s why they brought Shallan, but her identity crisis is almost too much.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
so I am guessing that Edgedancer is probably a necessary read before Oathbringer? I've read so many books inbetween #2 and Oathbringer that I may need to look up a good summary to get me back up to speed.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I still maintain that Shallan is his worst character. She gets far far far too much time for as bullshit as she is. Adolin grew on me in this book. Dalinar really grew on me, i think the every other chapter peak into his backstory could have been greatly condensed.

I would say of the 1200 there is about 400 - 500 pages of meaningful plot / cool shit that happens. Some cool twists that i genuinely didn't see coming. I felt that he wanted to explain more about the origin of everything, but he did it pretty fast and dirty. I mean sure you can sit there and reference other things and piece it together, but with as much detail as he gave other pointless bullshit in this book I felt he could have instead laid it out a bit better.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
so I am guessing that Edgedancer is probably a necessary read before Oathbringer? I've read so many books inbetween #2 and Oathbringer that I may need to look up a good summary to get me back up to speed.

Definitely read Edgedancer, it isn't absolutely required but there's a lot that makes sense to the reader purely because of Edgedancer material.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider

Almost done now... are we led to believe the “Nightmother” was actually cultivation? Got that vibe.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hope it's not too difficult to read (wall of text). I just wanted one spot to read the correspondence and thought I would share it.
I noticed its arrival immediately, just as I noticed your many intrusions into my land.

You think yourself so clever, but my eyes are not those of some petty noble, to be clouded by a false nose and some dirt on the cheeks.

You mustn’t worry yourself about Rayse. It is a pity about Aona and Skai, but they were foolish—violating our pact from the very beginning.

Your skills are admirable, but you are merely a man. You had your chance to be more, and refused it.

No good can come of two Shards settling in one location. It was agreed that we would not interfere with one another, and it disappoints me that so few of the Shards have kept to this original agreement.

As for Uli Da, it was obvious from the outset that she was going to be a problem. Good riddance.

Regardless, this is not your concern. You turned your back on divinity. If Rayse becomes an issue, he will be dealt with. And so will you.

Cephandrius, bearer of the First Gem, You must know better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship.

You have spoken to one who cannot respond. We, instead, will take your communication to us—though we know not how you located us upon this world.

We are indeed intrigued, for we thought it well hidden. Insignificant among our many realms.

As the waves of the sea must continue to surge, so must our will continue resolute. Alone.

Did you expect anything else from us? We need not suffer the interference of another. Rayse is contained, and we care not for his prison.

Indeed, we admire his initiative. Perhaps if you had approached the correct one of us with your plea, it would have found favorable audience.

But we stand in the sea, pleased with our domains. Leave us alone.

This is all we will say at this time. If you wish more, seek these waters in person and overcome the tests we have created. Only in this will you earn our respect.

Friend, Your letter is most intriguing, even revelatory.

I would have thought, before attaining my current station, that a deity could not be surprised. Obviously, this is not true. I can be surprised. I can perhaps even be naive, I think.

I am the least equipped, of all, to aid you in this endeavor. I am finding that the powers I hold are in such conflict that the most simple of actions can be difficult.

I am also made uncertain by your subterfuge. Why have you not made yourself known to me before this? How is it you can hide? Who are you truly, and how do you know so much about Adonalsium?

If you would speak to me further, I request open honesty. Return to my lands, approach my servants, and I will see what I can do for your quest.

Malkav

French Madman
Scratch that it’s completely clear

No

The Nightwatcher is Cultivation's creation though. It's clear in the chapter where Dalinar meets BOTH the Nightwatcher and Cultivation at the same time and the former calls the latter Mother.
Plus the Stormfather told Dalinar earlier that he meant Cultivation and that she was not the Nightwatcher.

Anyway, just finished it. Sanderson has outdone himself to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

I really didn't see the fall of Kholinar coming. I was pretty sure they would find a way to save it during this whole part.
I fucking hate Moash.
The battle of Thaylenah was so fucking awesome. How much I'd love to see that adapted in a movie.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Just finished this, it's pretty slow in several places, but I'm invested in the characters, so I didn't notice the slowness as badly as the first time I read Way of Kings. It's not as tightly edited (IMO) as Words of Radiance though, but the end battle was fantastic. Sanderson keeps successfully topping himself in that regard.

WARNING: don't read this spoiler unless you've finished Oathbringer
A few random thoughts:
  • The first time Odium showed up in Dalinar's vision, I was like OH SHIT. He just kind of showed up out of nowhere and was like, "Sup bro. I'm the most evil entity there is, how's it going?"
  • It's still not clear what Odium's true Intent is, I think. It's supposedly Hatred, but Odium says it's ALL emotion, but he might be lying? Perhaps it's Passion, which can manifest as hatred, but also other emotions. It's ambiguous in a good way, IMO.
  • I was kind of disappointed they never got to the point of "powering up" Urithiru Tower. It's gotta work somehow.
  • The time in Shadesmar was good in one way, in that it reveals a lot about that place, but I thought it was ultimately pointless to the plot, at least for this book. I think he should have saved exploring Shadesmar for another book and given more time to it there to expand on it.
  • I agree that there is a bit too much focus on Shallan. The wavering between personalities got to be pretty tedious after awhile. Almost every other character is more interesting than her.
  • So what's the deal with Dalinar now? Is he nearly as powerful as Honor was? Is he like a sliver of infinity like someone who accessed a shardpool, like in the Well of Ascension (mistborn)? Or is he just equivalent to a Knight who said the third ideal? He seems crazy powerful now if he can access all three realms at will.
  • When Odium turned all of Sadeas' troops to the dark side, I really thought they were going to win like they did in Kholinar. They had 2 unmade, 2 thunderclasts, dozens of Fused, 10s of thousands of regular Parshmen/singers, and fucking Odium himself.
  • Szeth wrecking the battlefield after falling out of the sky with Nightblood, trailing black smoke and an afterimage of his soul, might be the most badass thing I've read in 5 years. The imagery there is just phenomenal!
  • Jasnah's mastery of Soulcasting was pretty awesome. It's not something we've seen used in that way up to this point, but holy shit would it be powerful. He look, a Fused.... and it's encased in rock... Next.
  • So Bondsmiths can bond with only 3 spren: the Stormfather, presumably the Nightwatcher, and something unknown that's asleep? Who would bond the Nightwatcher? Navani is all I've got.
  • Fucking Taravangian. A better example of intelligence without being tempered by faith or belief, I can't think of. He immediately makes a pact with the devil because he believes his intelligence tells him he can never win.
  • So Humans aren't native to Roshar, and they caused their previous world to be destroyed via surgebinding(voidbinding?!?), which according to legend is "The Tranquiline Halls" and equivalent to heaven. But Odium wasn't originally on Roshar either, so wouldn't that mean that Odium corrupted Humans into destroying their previous planet, and once Humans came to Roshar along with Odium, they found Honor which redeemed them from being entirely influenced by Odium? Wild speculation, I know.

I give this 8.5/10. Only because it could stand better/tighter editing and some more action or mystery scenes scattered throughout the book to up the pacing a little. I'm a huge Sanderson/cosmere fan though, so take that score with that bias in mind :)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My biggest question:
What are the Siblings? My first guess is that they are creations of Honor / Cultivation. Which Sibling was at Urithiru? I'd say "it" was the power source, but there was some conflict between the Orders which caused "it" to be freed or killed or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
By the way, for those who may have not read Warbreaker (like me), one of the prominent side character in Oathbringer is one of the main characters in Warbreaker.

• 1Like

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm really looking forward to seeing how all these books tie together, especially now that we've got multiple characters from warbreaker showing up.

I'm also really curious to know more about the Tranquiline Halls and the history of both Roshar and the humans too. How was Odium trapped on Roshar if he didn't start there? Were both Honor and Cultivation present when Odium arrived? Why is Cultivation hiding and why/how is Odium trapped? I also really like the fact that we don't really know what Odium's end-goal is- presumably he wants to kill Cultivation and get off Roshar, but how do the desolations help him accomplish that?

On top of that I don't think we actually know how Honor was killed yet do we?

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think Odium is actually on Roshar, but one of the other planets in the Greater Roshar solar system. It has 3 planets, and the stuff with the Heralds actually takes place on a different planet in the system.

• 1Like