All things Brandon Sanderson

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's my problem these days. I've gone through so many books in my life, and even with someone like Sanderson who writes at a decent enough pace, there is always just so much I've gone through between the previous books and the current book that I don't remember shit. Lots of things will trigger little bits of "oh yeah that happened" but I'm sure I miss a lot of detail. For this one trying to remember original Mistborn trilogy for context was like fuck I don't remember anything.
I’m exactly the same way. On the bright side, it makes rereading books you really like more enjoyable since you don’t remember most of the details anyways.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That's my problem these days. I've gone through so many books in my life, and even with someone like Sanderson who writes at a decent enough pace, there is always just so much I've gone through between the previous books and the current book that I don't remember shit. Lots of things will trigger little bits of "oh yeah that happened" but I'm sure I miss a lot of detail. For this one trying to remember original Mistborn trilogy for context was like fuck I don't remember anything.

LOL. Same. Right now I am reading three books, and in the last couple weeks I am at like six (finished three)? All the same genre and it's a blur sometimes.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
LOL. Same. Right now I am reading three books, and in the last couple weeks I am at like six (finished three)? All the same genre and it's a blur sometimes.
It doesn't help that his stories tend to follow a formula of being mostly broken up into two halves. The man character dealing with his internal conflicts to try and become the hero he needs to be, and the intelligent women who is investigating the scenarios, held back by the horrible upbringing/corrupt family/mentors she had which prevented her from being as amazing as she should be.

Where his writing stands out is the uniqueness to the worlds and magic systems. It's easy for me to blend what happened to characters together sometimes, because they can be very... familiar.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lenthan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I just re-read the Mistborn Era 1 trilogy. Enjoyable, but a bit of a slog with the recurring themes Furry stated. I read Joe Abercrombie's latest, The Wisdom of Crowds, and he changes ages and themes without needing to reuse similar stories.

I like Sanderson, but the Cosmere is taking too long to execute.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I just re-read the Mistborn Era 1 trilogy. Enjoyable, but a bit of a slog with the recurring themes Furry stated. I read Joe Abercrombie's latest, The Wisdom of Crowds, and he changes ages and themes without needing to reuse similar stories.

I like Sanderson, but the Cosmere is taking too long to execute.
The cosmere is supposed to be something like 37 books long, so it will be a long as time. I think he has the next 20 years at least laid out maybe even longer. He'll still finish the cosmere before martin puts out winds of winter.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Annual update from Sanderson. The biggest takeaway, i thought, was his primary focus this year is on Book5 of the Stormlight Archives with a 2024 release date.

The State of Sanderson

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
1st book of the Kickstarter dropped. Tress of the emerald sea.

It's a cosmere book

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Just finished The Lost Metal. Liked it a lot. I like how in-your-face the cosmere stuff was in this one. Gonna reread Arcanum Unbounded next. I can’t recall if Moonlight’s or TwinSoul’s magic stuff has been in any of the other stories. I don’t remember it, but I also haven’t read Elantris.

As for the kickstarter content: is that gonna wind up in stores anytime soon or is that gonna be a while? I’ve never bought into a kickstarter but this is one I sincerely regret not getting in on.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Just finished The Lost Metal. Liked it a lot. I like how in-your-face the cosmere stuff was in this one. Gonna reread Arcanum Unbounded next. I can’t recall if Moonlight’s or TwinSoul’s magic stuff has been in any of the other stories. I don’t remember it, but I also haven’t read Elantris.

As for the kickstarter content: is that gonna wind up in stores anytime soon or is that gonna be a while? I’ve never bought into a kickstarter but this is one I sincerely regret not getting in on.
The soulstamp magic is from a novella called the emperor's soul. It's set on the same world as elantris.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

I don't think they are going to end up for sale at least not any time soon, might be able to find them on the 7 seas.

After reading the lost metal I wanted more, so I finally decided to give rhythm of war a shot after avoiding it because book 3 was such a slog. I listened to the graphic audio and it was actually really enjoyable.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm

From Sanderson:
So we picked a three-month delay. When the second Secret Project goes out to backers, the first Secret Project will appear in bookstores. His books going forward will no longer be available on Audible.

• 1Seriously?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
From Sanderson:
So we picked a three-month delay. When the second Secret Project goes out to backers, the first Secret Project will appear in bookstores. His books going forward will no longer be available on Audible.
Is he going with another platform instead of Audible?!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
From Sanderson:
I thought it was just that the secret project books wouldn’t be on audible. Think he still planned to release main books on it (ie stormlight 5), or is that wrong?

faille

Molten Core Raider
so this happened recently:

wired wrote an article on Sanderson

I think its worth giving people time to read it first before commenting further.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I just read it this morning. I'm also kinda shocked that Wired still exists...

Sanderson's reddit post afterwards was savage. He didn't tear the guy down, he said 'hey, don't defend me. This is just a guy who is trying to do his job'. The man SLAUGHTERED him with kindness. A true dickpunch of amity.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I just read it this morning. I'm also kinda shocked that Wired still exists...

Sanderson's reddit post afterwards was savage. He didn't tear the guy down, he said 'hey, don't defend me. This is just a guy who is trying to do his job'. The man SLAUGHTERED him with kindness. A true dickpunch of amity.

Link to this?

The Wired piece is so-so. The writing style embodies every annoying aspect of modern era. Half of the article about Sanderson is the writer talking about himself. He couldn't even deliver "the seven words" ending without interrupting them.

• 3Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I agree that Sanderson doesn't write prose for the ages, but so what? He makes up for it in volume and enthusiasm. This is not an article that needed to be written.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
By the way, Secret Book 1 (Tress) finally arrived here in France. Nice box (with book quotes on it), good packing. I'm almost afraid to open the book.

• 1Like