All things Brandon Sanderson

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've just started reading Sanderson, read the first Stormlight book and starting on the second, and making the transition from Martin/Abercrombie and other "darker" sf/f writers to Sanderson is...hard.

I know complaining about Sanderson in a Sanderson thread is kind of stupid, but I feel like he has really interesting backstory/plot ideas that get thrown completely off by his weird Mormon prudishness. I want some motherfucking sex and swearing with my fantasy violence, dammit. For example, in the first chapter of WoR, the aesthetic of uneducated sailors saying "backside" instead of "ass" just feels a little Disney to me.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I've just started reading Sanderson, read the first Stormlight book and starting on the second, and making the transition from Martin/Abercrombie and other "darker" sf/f writers to Sanderson is...hard.

I know complaining about Sanderson in a Sanderson thread is kind of stupid, but I feel like he has really interesting backstory/plot ideas that get thrown completely off by his weird Mormon prudishness. I want some motherfucking sex and swearing with my fantasy violence, dammit. For example, in the first chapter of WoR, the aesthetic of uneducated sailors saying "backside" instead of "ass" just feels a little Disney to me.
Definitely agree this is one of Sanderson's weak points. IMO the strength of the magic and supernatural systems overpower this lameness, but no doubt it is pretty lame.

Aydenn

Lord Nagafen Raider

Just wait! It gets pretty intense. When you hear scorching insults like 'your breath smells bad' it'll make up for it all

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Sanderson does have a really big everything is sunshine and rainbows feeling, but his magic systems are just so enjoyable. I think the best part of pretty much all his books is learning the details of the magic system. It's even better if you've looked into the 7th shard stuff and start to see the crossover stuff between realms.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I think that being over vulgar has the same feeling, it made me lose interest completely in "the lies of locke lamora" for that reason. It just makes the book feel like its trying too hard to be dark and edgy, which comes off as incredibly cheesy to me.

I don't particularly care that sanderson isn't very lewd or vulgar.. it would be good if he did at least somewhat of a "mature" feel to it, but like others said... his magic and combat systems are just too fun to read, so it makes up for it.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Honestly I never noticed the language usages with Sanderson because it actually fits his world(s). I'm just glad he doesn't over use speech pattern rhythms. Those bug the fuck outa me.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just wait! It gets pretty intense. When you hear scorching insults like 'your breath smells bad' it'll make up for it all
I found a gif of that scene, Shallan is in the glasses.

supa-hot-fire.gif

I don't really care about the type language used, I just get bugged when the dialogue is awful like that shit. Although completely anachronistic dialogue will bug me a little bit. I forget which book it was, but it was straight up high fantasy with no technology etc and one character said another was acting "robotic" and it annoyed me. For like 5 seconds, but still.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
So, it seems Sanderson has secretly written another book in the Stormlight Archives. This new book will be number 8 in the series. I am reading "White Sands" (a cosmere novella) currently, you can get a copy if you email him directly and ask for it as it has never been published.

Never mind, thanks for pointing that out... didn't notice.

Phayd

Well, an accurate update, "Calamity" is almost finished as he wrote a big chunk on his flights in and out of the UAE. His next project, Stormlight 3 is still slated for a fall release next year.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Sanderson is a bro, he's at SDCC but instead of partying after the con he goes and writes stormline 3.

He da MVP

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This Perfect State novella showed up on my Kindle ad the other day so I grabbed it. Looks like it was a March 31 release? Will try to read at the pool this afternoon but was surprised I had missed it.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Its hilarious when you compare the amount of work sanderson is doing vs G RR Martin. Starting to think Martin is doing it wrong.

ubiquitrips

I had some extra time over the 4th weekend and picked up both of the Legion short stories. The first one I let out an audible 'god damnit' when it ended as I didn't realize how short the book was. The book kept me glued to it the whole way through. The second didn't quite captivate me as well and I haven't finished it yet. I think the aspect system he came up with is pretty neat and the interactions with the main character are great. Hope he comes out with more of them.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This Perfect State novella showed up on my Kindle ad the other day so I grabbed it. Looks like it was a March 31 release? Will try to read at the pool this afternoon but was surprised I had missed it.
Perfect State was okay, probably my least favorite of his short stories or novellas. Wouldn't hate reading more about the world but nothing super grabbed me like the rest of his work. Was nice to see him try some modern style tech / scifi mixed with the fantasy.