All things Brandon Sanderson

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Just finished Radiance. Fantastic read that I finished really quickly. Hate I have to wait so long for the next one but thanks to George RR I'm used to this. Just a few issues overall with it but just nitpicking. Hoping for anything but the cookie cutter, 'guy turns into her dad' theme for Adolin. Also hoping the Shallan/Kaladin relationship doesn't happen. Wasn't too happy to see Szeth return. Reminded me of the soap opera bad guy finding ways to return to action.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It might be a while before the next in that series comes out, but Sanderson puts out a ton of books

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Supposedly early 2016, I hope that's accurate. Thankfully he will publish a few pieces in the mean time.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I recently was invited to a live taping of an NPR show that happened to have Sanderson there and he seems like a really cool guy. I asked in the past what new author I should get into and I believe he was mentioned. I am one of those people who once I find an author I like, (Stephen King, Michael Crichton, GRR Martin) I tend to read all of their books. Where is a good place to start?

Thanks

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
We seem to go back and forth on where to start. On one hand is old stuff is both worth reading and ties in to his new stuff (more or less), but on the other it is somewhat rough to read as he has matured greatly over time. Still, I would suggest starting with Mistborn trilogy and branching out from there. If you don't like starting unfinished series you may want to avoid Way of Kings / Words of Radiance. Someone else just recently started reading Sanderson so maybe they can offer insight in to what they picked up first.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yes, I would start with mistborn. After that I would go with warbreaker, then whatever interests you. He has quite a few novellas and stand alone books to choose from

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I recently was invited to a live taping of an NPR show that happened to have Sanderson there and he seems like a really cool guy. I asked in the past what new author I should get into and I believe he was mentioned. I am one of those people who once I find an author I like, (Stephen King, Michael Crichton, GRR Martin) I tend to read all of their books. Where is a good place to start?

Thanks
Go back a few pages.

You can read in publication order if you like, there really is no order. Just google Sanderson's coppermind wiki and it'll explain everything.

Cosmere - The Coppermind - 17th Shard

There are a bunch of novellas too if you wanted to get complete, but the main works are Elantris, Mistborn + Law, Way of the Kings, Warbreaker

Phayd

Just finished Legion: Skin Deep. I liked the story and the hints about how rough things were for him early on before the aspects, but I would like to see the series take a darker turn.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
The banging of Shallan and Kaladin is unavoidable. This will of course create Darth Adolin, who out of spite of the Knights, will bang Eshonia and spawn the true form of void walkers, emo Gambit form.

sZEth will be totally nice, too

Phayd

"Dragonsteel" Hoids backstory sounds good but won't be out for 15+ years lol. "don't expect this until Stormlight is completely done."

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that is a long time away. Optimistically a Stormlight book every other year with 7 books to go, and you know a few are going to slide. Don't count on that one anytime soon. Sanderson is relatively young though, so we'll get it some day. He pumps out books like crazy though, so there will be plenty of good shit before then. Look at it this way, how good are his books going to be in 15 years?

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, that is a long time away. Optimistically a Stormlight book every other year with 7 books to go, and you know a few are going to slide. Don't count on that one anytime soon. Sanderson is relatively young though, so we'll get it some day. He pumps out books like crazy though, so there will be plenty of good shit before then. Look at it this way, how good are his books going to be in 15 years?
A lot can happen to a person in 15 years. Good story telling is worth the wait though.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I don't mean that as a negative, I mean that his writing is likely to continually improve over that time making his books phenomenal by that time.