All Things Joe Abercrombie

orcmauler

Golden Squire
Figured I'd weigh in since I started the thread back on FOH. The first trilogy was, to me, a refreshing change of pace from "typical" high fantasy that is marketed these days (Wizards of the Coast, I'm looking at you). I do agree the First Law trilogy has its flaws, but overall was a very interesting take on a typical fantasy tale that sadly fell apart towards the end.

The standalone books (barring Best Served Cold) were, for sure, much better--which is to be expected as an author "evolves." Both The Heroes and Red Country are two of my favorite books period.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I finished Half a War. Not bad, though I wasn't super keen on the way he wrapped it up. Great writing though, and well worth a read.

What we really need is some more Bloody Nine.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I would love to see Ferro and Logen adventures. Finished second book in half a king series and look forward to the next one. No one does character progression like this author. Gorst is right up there with Logen in terms of my favorite flawed anti-hero.

I love war he screams in a high falsetto! Can just imagine this super badass with a schrill voice mowing through flesh like a devil. I want Gorst to mingle with the Northmen and see what comes of it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I only skimmed but at least one chapter on Glokta so that is good but nothing from Ferro. Also looks like a chapter on Logan with Bethod before he decided to become a better man.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I'm listening to the audiobook. The narrator does a perfect job. Once again, I am reminded why I love Abercrombie's writing. Gritty, yet funny.