Amazon Echo - no thread yet?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
can this be hooked up to a legit stereo system?
To broadcast or receive from it?

Broadcast: I don't think it can broadcast at all... not tried however.
Receiving: As long as the "legit stereo system" has bluetooth, it should work as an extension to the system or whatever - not sure on the range on using it as a receiver though - furthest I've played with mine at is around 20-25 ft without any walls in the way. [Now that said, I don't see why you'd want to do it that way - it could do most of the receiving functions the same by tossing the same music onto the Amazon cloud and then just running it straight over the Net to it via WiFi - it should theoretically work, but I don't see the reason to bother unless you're using them as wireless satellites in the house, but as I stated, I'm not sure of max range which would come into play for that]
Hardwire: There's literally ZERO plugs besides power on it, so you cannot hardwire it to a stereo if that's your though either.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i think i mean broadcast... a la i use voice command to tell the Echo to play some hot jams off Amazon Prime music and it does so using my Stereo instead of its gay tinfoil speakers.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
i think i mean broadcast... a la i use voice command to tell the Echo to play some hot jams off Amazon Prime music and it does so using my Stereo instead of its gay tinfoil speakers.
There are people who spliced into it by tearing it apart and got that sweet single stereo output, so yeah not worth that. They are not allowing bluetooth audio out at least as of yet.

Vaclav

For that why wouldn't you just use your cell phone to do that? Echo is a smidge more consistent for starting it with just voice commands vs. Google (no experience with Siri) - but pressing three buttons on the phone or so for 10-15 sec accomplishes about the same without any weird work around to get it to broadcast.

Heck, even a cheap win 10 machine might be able to do the same with Cortana for you as well. (Again, no clue how good Cortana is at launching music apps though - barely use the laptop here and I don't keep a mic on the PC so not in a position to test it 99% of the time)

TL;DR version: I think for what you're looking to accomplish there's better ways right now assuming you don't want to use it's speaker at all.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
For that why wouldn't you just use your cell phone to do that? Echo is a smidge more consistent for starting it with just voice commands vs. Google (no experience with Siri) - but pressing three buttons on the phone or so for 10-15 sec accomplishes about the same without any weird work around to get it to broadcast.

Heck, even a cheap win 10 machine might be able to do the same with Cortana for you as well. (Again, no clue how good Cortana is at launching music apps though - barely use the laptop here and I don't keep a mic on the PC so not in a position to test it 99% of the time)

TL;DR version: I think for what you're looking to accomplish there's better ways right now assuming you don't want to use it's speaker at all.
well because i want Echo for other reasons -- mostly to operate my phillips hues -- but if I could have it being my personal DJ too that would be great. yeah i know there's other ways to do it but none are as impressive to company or as amusing to me as yelling "ALEXA PLAY 50 CENT" at your stereo and having it comply.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
well because i want Echo for other reasons -- mostly to operate my phillips hues -- but if I could have it being my personal DJ too that would be great. yeah i know there's other ways to do it but none are as impressive to company or as amusing to me as yelling "ALEXA PLAY 50 CENT" at your stereo and having it comply.
How are you liking the Hues? I have debated on buying them for a while and one of the reasons I picked the Echo up when it went on sale.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
How are you liking the Hues? I have debated on buying them for a while and one of the reasons I picked the Echo up when it went on sale.
they're pretty sweet, people are blown away by them when they see them for the first time. the biggest downside is that its kind of a pain in the ass to turn them off and on using the smart phone app all the time since they don't really work well with light switches unless you get a custom switch installed. hence why i want the Alexa -- so i can just yell lights on bitch and be done with it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
they're pretty sweet, people are blown away by them when they see them for the first time. the biggest downside is that its kind of a pain in the ass to turn them off and on using the smart phone app all the time since they don't really work well with light switches unless you get a custom switch installed. hence why i want the Alexa -- so i can just yell lights on bitch and be done with it.
Ahh I thought you had the Alexa already. Yeah that is exactly why I want the Hues because Alexa is right where all my lights are I want to control but I don't want to app it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i'd say go for it if you have the set up though. warning though -- they're addicting. once you have a few you just want to keep buying more and more and putting them everywhere, which gets pretty expensive.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If the Echo was $99 we'd probably have a second one for upstairs. My toddlers like talking to it and dancing and stuff too, it's great. Especially when I want to hear the Who Let the Dogs Out, Let it Go, Wheels on the Bus, Gangnam Style and Watch Me (Whip, Nae Nae) over and over.

Oh, and they'll ask it 'what does the fox say' forever if we'd let them. lol.

Vaclav

To be fair, the Alexa speaker isn't THAT tinny for what you'd expect in something so small - to be frank, it's better than my (circa 2000ish) speaker setup in the bedroom besides pure volume, but those ones get so distorted once they're that loud anyhow - and the Echo on 10 is maybe equivalent to 7 on that setup volumewise - but still crystal clear without distorting.

Been debating the Hue stuff myself as an indulgence eventually too - which might change my tune about the value of it. (And I agree with the person that posted before on Nest integration - I'm looking to do Nest for my place once I buy a place now that I know precisely what region I want to live in down here - would be beautiful to just say what temp etc verbally rather than pulling up the app)

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Just got mine. Set it up and said "Alexa play station xxxxx from Pandora". She said "Gathering station xxxxx". Nothing. Tried it with Amazon prime music. "Gathering prime playlist". Nothing. Motherf!@$#. "Gathering station Mother@#@$#".

Then I did this....

And it worked. No idea why she could tell a joke, get me the weather, and anything that had to do with her voice but as soon as I reset all "secondary" audio would come on.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dig mine. I probably haven't used it to it's full potential but I like playing my music stations, checking traffic, weather and listening to the news. I still need to play Jeopardy on it

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So this is just bullshit, they made it so the Dot can use external speakers but still no support on the Echo? Fuck that noise. Lucky me for being an early adopter, then.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Anyone with an Echo that would be willing to do the Echo Tap prime day deal for $69 for me assuming you don't want it? I tried to figure out a way to do it but to no avail.

Seems silly that I need an Echo to buy a Tap. Just want to give Alexa a try.

Will PayPal the money ahead of time of course.

Thank you!