Amazon Echo - no thread yet?

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Well, I got one a few days ago and is sitting in my living room. I just wish you could sync it up with Spotify, right now music selection is really bad and I have all of my stuff on itunes already.

Having said that, she's great for setting timers, alerts, my husband loves her when he cooks because he plays music in the bg and uses it for timers for the oven and shit. Overall, she's very responsive and good. Worth it the 99$ imo.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Obt: Can't you pair it to a smartphone or something else as a BT device to run such things in the meantime?

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I believe so,

However I found a small github project that managed to change HUE lights on/off and decided to fork it and coded this whole afternoon and coded the trigger for IFTTT recipes with a twitter example:damianFC/tepuy · GitHub

Vaclav

Awesome to hear - mine is expected July-ish (got my coupon ~2 weeks ago) - look forward to see the secondary applications you figure out how to code in the meantime. Seems a wonderful device with tons of expandability in time with creative people hacking away.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Yea I like the device, and I see an awesome potential if it's open natured instead of closed down like Siri.

When I started messing around with it this morning and started looking around for API calls and stuff I thought of maybe doing an email script to send an email, but quickly realized that Echo is more for commands (simple commands) and not long sentences, so I thought "well, I can just code specific words into an email and have IFTTT take actions on those code words". Hence the twitter example, IFTTT has a LOT of things, so for example I could create one that sells a stock or something with voice command.

Still thinking of more recipes and stuff to do but taking a break from now.

Vaclav

Just quick muse on such a thing - much like Android generally tries to cut off how long of a string it's handling but when you're doing specific voice strings that are going to be longer it gives you some "breathing room" (literally...) once it's already given the initial part of the command. [i.e. texting]

Not sure how accessible some of the core functionality would be (really, honestly no clue - programming knowledge for me is realizing comp classes weren't in the cards for me after 2-3 weeks of attending them and some basic C+ at home that was entirely cut and paste) but it seems like a "increase delay" thing after certain functions would be the means there. And with the default functionality.

If it already exists on the device for a function to snoop on it, it probably is in the "shopping list" program - since shopping lists can get wordy if you're adding multiple or extra specific items. ["DKNY Shoes - Size 8 - Extra Wide - In colors that Tammy would like" is a long string compared to most Echo functions I'd imagine and hopefully something like that would work since it's all relevant info for a shopping list to be able to take]

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Oh no, I'm actually accessing the echo.amazon.com page (which allows you to send commands/control/etc your echo) and scraping the last command sent (in the history section) every 10 seconds, and then sending it to my code to figure out what to do. I can potentially do something like 'start email' in one command, with the TO in another, subject in another, body in another and then 'email go' as the last command.

Alexa answers like she doesn't know what the fuck I'm saying, but the invalid command is still saved to the history which in turn becomes a valid command in my code. There's plenty of stuff that I can do with that!

Column_sl

shitlord
Bought one for the wife on Valentines Day. I guess we are on the waiting list for when it comes in.

How long did it take to come in for you guys?

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Like a month.

You should have a 'shippable' date on your order list. Although mine was actually updated and was shipped earlier than expected.

Vaclav

Bought one for the wife on Valentines Day. I guess we are on the waiting list for when it comes in.

How long did it take to come in for you guys?
I preordered mine (with the coupon - might vary without the coupon) on Feb 3 and it's expecting to ship Jun 17 - Jul 23 in My Orders right now. I'd expect your projected date is Summerish as well.

And yea, I'd expect some potential for it to move around - my FireTV Stick was going to be like a 2 month wait and actually was more like 3-4 weeks.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Hah, I signed up for the invite the day they announced it (october? november?) it was going to be my xmas present for myself. It came and went. Around mid January I check ebay and I see there were like 25 for sale (at 250+$) and I went on a Twitter rage rampage to @Amazon and jeff bezos (after all I spent around 15k last year on Amazon alone). A few days later I get an email from their 'executive' customer service apologizing and saying they will try to do something about it. A week later I get an email saying "Your order will ship on Feb 2!"

Vaclav

Hah, I signed up for the invite the day they announced it (october? november?) it was going to be my xmas present for myself. It came and went. Around mid January I check ebay and I see there were like 25 for sale (at 250+$) and I went on a Twitter rage rampage to @Amazon and jeff bezos (after all I spent around 15k last year on Amazon alone). A few days later I get an email from their 'executive' customer service apologizing and saying they will try to do something about it. A week later I get an email saying "Your order will ship on Feb 2!"
Yea, I heard about it pretty late (I pretty much made the thread a few days after I heard about it/tested it at Tony's) - seems like they've really got a supply vs. demand issue. Especially with the Prime coupon.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got an invite and thought I purchased it. Turns out I didn't complete the purchase before the invite expired. I just checked and found out. Now I have to wait for another invite.. fuckkk..

Vaclav

It seems fun to have but not life-changing (at least without some further app development) - I'd not sweat a few months wait...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
In my head this is like Star Trek computer.

In real life this is like my smart phone.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
I'm currently working on coding an integration with a Raspberry Pi and a iguanaworks IR dongle and control the TV with Alexa. Sometimes I can't find the remote or similar and just want to adjust say volume or turn the TV off. I'm thinking of scraping 'alexa tv off', and my code to send the proper IR command.