American Gods

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
3.25 star(s) Rating: 3.25/5 4 Votes
Title: American Gods

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2017-04-30

Creator: Neil Gaiman, Michael Green, Bryan Fuller

Cast: Ricky Whittle, Ian McShane, Emily Browning, Pablo Schreiber, Bruce Langley, Yetide Badaki, Gillian Anderson

Overview: Based on Neil Gaiman's fantasy novel about an ex-con who becomes the traveling partner of a conman who turns out to be one of the older gods trying to recruit troops to battle the upstart deities.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]View attachment 80303[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]American Gods[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2017-07-01[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]Based on Neil Gaiman's fantasy novel about an ex-con who becomes the traveling partner of a conman who turns out to be one of the older gods trying to recruit troops to battle the upstart deities.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Ian McShane to Star in for Starz - Hollywood Reporter

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
original.gif

Jait

Molten Core Raider
So that pretty much guarantees McShane will be dead before it films.

There's no way something could be cast any more perfect or done better. Hollywood, don't make me praise you.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm about a third of the way through the 10th anniversary audio book with the full cast recording. The dude playing Mr. Wednesday sounds just like Ian McShane. As a huge McShane fan, I'm fucking psyched for the show. Perfect casting.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Awesome! Been waiting for this. HBO was supposed to run with it. Wonder what happen...

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Awesome! Been waiting for this. HBO was supposed to run with it. Wonder what happen...
American Gods is one of those shows that was in development hell for a while. It was in the works at HBO for about 3 years, but they werenever satisfied with the script:

I think we're all huge fans of the book, and I think the script just didn't - we couldn't craft the script as good as we needed it to be. I think we knew going in that it would be a challenge; every good book is a challenge to adapt it and find the level you need for it. The bar is high now for great dramas. And to find that bar - we tried. So it was a huge disappointment [.] We tried three different writers, we put a lot of effort into it. Some things just don't happen. We have to trust at the end of the day, if you don't have a star with a great script, you're just not going to go through with it.
Thankfully, they decided to drop the rights, giving someone else a chance to work on it, rather than forcing through something they were never happy with.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been pretty happy with the casting but they cast Dane cook as Robbie. Did see cook in one serious role I'm pretty sure where he wasn't terrible
wonder if the changes to technical boy not being a fat internet blogger was some of the issues,
god-1_0.jpg

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Dane Cook gets my respect as an actor from Mr. Brooks. I thought he was great in that.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unless they divert significantly from the book, the character Dane Cook plays really isn't major. Even if he is terrible, I don't think it'd have much impact on the show. But, I have no reason to question Bryan Fuller's casting choices at this point.

Been pretty happy with the casting but they cast Dane cook as Robbie. Did see cook in one serious role I'm pretty sure where he wasn't terrible
wonder if the changes to technical boy not being a fat internet blogger was some of the issues,
I'm confused as to what Dane Cook's casting has to do with Technical Boy not being fat.

Homsar

It doesnt I was typing on a shitty Ipad and forgot to put a period in there.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He isn't major, but if you remember the book, Cook is a pretty good choice for that role. Robbie seemed pretty much like a smarmie douchebag to me.

Homsar

They did say they they were expanding on characters that weren't huge in the books but that probably means technical boy and other gods like that.

Cybsled

You have to remember American Gods came out in 2001 and the internet was a much different place, so it was much easier to base him off a person like Harry Knowles from Aintitcool who was an early internet celebrity due to his Movie/TV website.

However, in the modern era, popular bloggers / youtube celebrities don't conform to the "lol fat internet slob" stereotype anymore.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I forgot Swearengin was cast as Mr. Wednesday. That is fucking awesome, sign me the fuck up.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
You have to remember American Gods came out in 2001 and the internet was a much different place, so it was much easier to base him off a person like Harry Knowles from Aintitcool who was an early internet celebrity due to his Movie/TV website.

However, in the modern era, popular bloggers / youtube celebrities don't conform to the "lol fat internet slob" stereotype anymore.
They should have cast Milo.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database