Anarchy Online New Graphics Engine

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played a Martial Artist to 86, and it was (for the time) pretty fun. I haven't seen anything impressive with the new graphic engine (only seen their own screenshots though).

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I miss playing my Grid Armor MK 3 Engineer and how stupid OP it was at the time. I literally almost cried of happiness when it dropped as it was the most sought after item in the game. Could've easily have sold it for hundreds of millions (which at the time was very rare to have such amount). I decided not to sell it and use it just because of the arena in one of the major cities (cannot remember the name) and wanted to slaughter everyone due to it OP'ness

I also miss my lvl 175 Sniper on my lvl 50(?) Agent before they nerfed the twinking due to Mochams, etc. Agent later had that cool trenchcoat thingy from that one raid boss (Terasque or something;pre any expansion). I remember grinding so hard for that floating badge thingy where you had to kill the huge robot and etc for. Was part of a large progression quest in which you would start out with a basic floaty-thingy and then more quests to get better stats ines over time. You had to kill this big robot, then the next phase you had to kill some roaming mob in some mountain area near Four Winds(?) dungeon?

I miss games with progressive spell particle effects. The more powerful and higher level the spell, the better looking the spell graphics became (more particles, more graphically instense casting), much like EQ had. However, AO took it to the next level as it had more progressions in terms of particles, not just the lvl 26(?) and 46(?) in EQ. I think there was probably 10 particle progressions by the time you hit lvl 200.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Grid Armour on an Engi? Don't you mean Fixer? I played a Fixer to about 150ish levels. I never found Grid Armour ever. Most people told me I was fucking crazy to play a Fixer without already having Grid Armour. =(

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw GA drop once, in all the time I've played AO off and on. Never seen nullify sphere though, for my Nano-technician.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Grid Armour on an Engi? Don't you mean Fixer? I played a Fixer to about 150ish levels. I never found Grid Armour ever. Most people told me I was fucking crazy to play a Fixer without already having Grid Armour. =(
Fixer yes, wowza

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, the support beam was stupid. "Hey, in this super high-tech world of lasers, robots, and nanobots, lets run around and beat the shit out of stuff with a giant piece of steel."
I will consume your soul.

Anarchy Online is one of my favorite games ever. Three characters to 220 during Heckler Grinding broke me, though. Didn't help that the third one was Keeper, the most boring class in MMO leveling history until Vanilla WoW Paladin.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
What was the name of that temple zone they added, had a max lvl of 60? Was at or right before shadowlands... Loved that place. Getting scythe on my enforcer was so good :3

temple of the three winds? lvl capped at 50 iirc

~ pro tip, get a RFFE (damage reflect buff) from a 150+ Soldier and any class can solo the Guardian of the Temple for the Guardian Tank back Armor drop.

I loved AO, anytime time I hear another MMO talking about "twinks" I LOL, you have no damn clue what real twinking is unless you played AO. In its heyday it had the funnest raids of any MMO.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Twinking a agent was loads of fun. Literally had to write out a plan for buffs/implants and then gear.

Herv_sl

shitlord
Trying to remember if there was a worse MMO launch (to date) when this one came out.

I built the fastest good gamin' rig I could, to try to help it out.

Was it the city of Tir where you zoned in on top of a vending store just to make it even more of a slideshow? I know they moved the port in at some point but the performance problems were soo deeply rooted they just had to wait for future hardware...

Kinda like Vanguard! Sorry...

Anyhow, as a charm slut in EQ I have to say charming with a 'Crat in AO was pretty fucking fun. IIRC I could use something similar to the Mocums (sp?) equipment trick to summon a nasty deep red con robot, then had TWO charms running and one was a guaranteed duration, but this is all IIRC cause its been forever. It was less 'pet attack' and more 'gonna have my people take care of this'.

This is tempting, very tempting, just not sure if I can ever pull the 'sock out of the drawer ever again.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I'm playing a Crat now. At level 140 I was summoning a pet that was level 200.

You have a short random duration (4-5 mins or so) and a long duration (fixed 15 minutes) charm. With 2 hecklers from Elysium and a level 200 bot tweaked with some mechanical engineering tweaks for faster attacks and taunts...it's hella fun. Stuff falls over to you and all you're doing is juggling debuffs and watching charm timers. You essentially become support for your pets, which is neat.

roger_sl

shitlord
Trying to remember if there was a worse MMO launch (to date) when this one came out.
Ultima, Eq, were almost none accessible the fist 5 days,shadowbane was frustrating as well. Saying worse to date for a 2001 mmorpg now is a bit on the edge after all we've seen. I guess i was in the fistfull of players who didn't suffered that much with ao's lunch. I had amd a-bit super overclocked, and we were the first one to see temple of the 4 winds on rubika-1. It wasn't perfect, but we can give mega credits for that game who introduced missions/instances, a great sci-fi story , and beautiful fucking music.

Herv_sl

shitlord
Yea I'm playing a Crat now. At level 140 I was summoning a pet that was level 200.

You have a short random duration (4-5 mins or so) and a long duration (fixed 15 minutes) charm. With 2 hecklers from Elysium and a level 200 bot tweaked with some mechanical engineering tweaks for faster attacks and taunts...it's hella fun. Stuff falls over to you and all you're doing is juggling debuffs and watching charm timers. You essentially become support for your pets, which is neat.
Downloading the client now with my 2004 account. Gave my launch account away to a friend. Gonna PM you my details when I get my basic shit together if you don't mind.

I have no clue where my Crat is, will find out shortly. Would be surprised if hes over 50 and probably spec'd out entirely wrong.

Thanks!

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea the music still gives me the feels to this day. I dont know, I've always been enamored with the game because I haven't played through it completely. Finding anyone willing to take some time to just...'play'...is hard if you don't know anyone.

Herv, send me a tell on Beatlejoose or Philbuster. I can get us setup and hell, I'll start a new character if I have too.

gLwM5co.jpg

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
AO was awesome. I miss my 220 Ma with Experienced title or some shit. The game was epic, Tara/beast raids, grid armour, trying to find the right buffs to eq high level implants.. He'll even tower wars were fun
smile.png

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Tower Wars was great fun, until you met a neg-hp Nano Tech with Engi shields. Then you wanted to pull your face off.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This is one of those games that I wish that I had played when it released, like UO, but at the same time I don't think I could go back and play it again now. That's one of the reasons that I've always kind of hoped hat there would be a UO 2 at some point.

I really liked the crafting, the wrangling, the depth of the game in some areas. But since I played on and off as a froob whenever I need a vacation from EQ I never really got to the point that I had a solid grasp on how the game progressed and how best to approach it. I always felt like I was being pulled in multiple directions at once - partially in awe by stepping into something totally new, partially turned off by feeling lost and adrift with no direction, and partially happy to just go wander around aimlessly. I actually felt almost the same way when I first got into EVE and started roaming around lost as fuck.

I will say that in retrospect I don't remember seeing the massive rancor and hatred toward F2P/Froob players that you would later see in games like AOC whenever they would have F2P events on a limited basis.

I also liked the solo missions or whatever they were called as while they were kind of boring and repetitive to some degree, it gave me something to do.