Ancestry

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
England or France doesnt change who you are or what you are capable of.

Are you against studying history, because if you can't see the value in tracing the events that led to your existence, then what is the value of tracing back any historical events? Are you against solving mysteries, or using data to predict future events? Its knowledge, how is knowledge not valuable? Even if it is not useful in any given moment, when that given moment passes that knowledge will still exist, and somewhere down the line you might have the other puzzle pieces you need to fit it to a clear picture.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Mother is really into this and spent years cataloging her side of the family. Found out there her (my) ancestors were on the Mayflower and got some certificate from the Mayflower Society. It seems her family was also fairly rich prior to the Civil War, owning a plantation in North Carolina (with slaves), but the War broke the family up between North / South. Her portion of the family left NC after the War and moved to Iowa (then later California) to live pretty mundane lives.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I like it for purely monetary reasons. I clarified some mineral rights. When a company comes into an area to pay mineral rights usage they do minimal checking and it's not 100% clear they use someone else in the pool to get what they want.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Are you against studying history, because if you can't see the value in tracing the events that led to your existence, then what is the value of tracing back any historical events? Are you against solving mysteries, or using data to predict future events? Its knowledge, how is knowledge not valuable? Even if it is not useful in any given moment, when that given moment passes that knowledge will still exist, and somewhere down the line you might have the other puzzle pieces you need to fit it to a clear picture.
Mr. Feynman answer for me.

Borzak

Worth it to check, especially considering mineral rights until just recently were often included in the sale of property. That changed with the shale boom, but before that it was no big deal in a lot of areas. You never know who got mineral rights reserved and held it and passed it down for generations and nobody who got said rights even knew about it.

My parents recently got a check for lease on mineral rights of a 1/2 acre where they used to own a house 20 years ago. If they passed it on to my sister and myself she wouldn't know, her kids sure wouldn't know. Never hurts. They got enough on a lease as part of a subdivision they lived in and production over the years they could have bought a new car.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Mineral rights should really revert to the surface owner if people don't actually actively maintain them somehow. There are lots of places around here where the mineral rights have been handed down for generations and are now shared by dozens of people, many of whom aren't even aware that they exist and oil/gas companies have actually decided not to drill on certain properties just because it would be such a nightmare to figure out who to pay for the rights.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Wife got us kits before Xmas just for shits and giggles.

I'm apparently mostly Scottish (wtf?) with a touch in northern Europe, and bits of wales/england/ireland, and a little does of South France.

That's it. I mean I understood having at least a bit of Native, but I had a fucked up family & childhood spent in fostercare, so shit can easily get exaggerated and lied about I suppose? Weird considering how much time I spent on a couple rez in Nova Scotia, guess my grandma was just crazy too? I got the black hair & always mistaken for native, kinda mind blowing now.

So yeah I need my kilt, and white privilege card please. I have a sudden urge to find some sheep too.

Borzak

My mom did it a while back. She had a large percentage of Indian. Wasn't a shock. Her mother was either found abandoned at a reservation or some such, nobody really knows. She was adopted with a ton of others by a civil war officer veteran on his near death bed. Then he and his wife died and the kids were foster cared or whatever. If you search the ancestory sties a number of last names come up, nobody really knows and she didn't have any brothers or sisters that she knew of. But she looked very Indian but she died long before DNA testing and such. She had my mom at 40+ so family goes way back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I haven't done any genetic testing, but my parents were into genealogy pretty heavy for a while. I would help out a bit, the digging/research/etc can be fun. They got pretty far back on my mothers side; some of them came over in the early 1640's from England. My fathers side came to California is the 1860's from Germany or Scotland.

My wife is 1st gen Korean American. Her mom was born in North Korea pre DPRK. Father's family lived in China when he was born but they moved back to Korea or something *shrug*. Both families moved separately to Brazil in the late 50's / early 60's to GTFO Korea war/famine/etc. Moved to the US in the 80's, American Dream and all that.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
What's not talked about is all the affairs coming out, especially in small towns. My wife's gramma was the town doorknob apparently and an ancestry gift for her mother ended up giving more than intended and my wife's mom met three new halfsisters recently. Hilarious.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I haven't done any genetic testing, but my parents were into genealogy pretty heavy for a while. I would help out a bit, the digging/research/etc can be fun. They got pretty far back on my mothers side; some of them came over in the early 1640's from England. My fathers side came to California is the 1860's from Germany or Scotland.

My wife is 1st gen Korean American. Her mom was born in North Korea pre DPRK. Father's family lived in China when he was born but they moved back to Korea or something *shrug*. Both families moved separately to Brazil in the late 50's / early 60's to GTFO Korea war/famine/etc. Moved to the US in the 80's, American Dream and all that.
DO NOT DO ANY GENETIC TESTING, from listening to hundreds of true crime podcasts, the way theyre catching ppl now is to have free use, general use of any genetic database.

true it does even have to be you that does it, your sisters kids, kid can do it and it'll link back to you.

i'm not saying, this so you can be a criminal, it's that theyre using this as hard evidence of all crimes, so you might be indirectly linked b/c of genetic markers, if you trust the legal and popo to do a good and honest job, then sure why not, if youre watching the chauvin trial and you know that theyre gonna try 110% to convict him purely based on public opinion...

don't swab your mouth.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
DO NOT DO ANY GENETIC TESTING, from listening to hundreds of true crime podcasts, the way theyre catching ppl now is to have free use, general use of any genetic database.

true it does even have to be you that does it, your sisters kids, kid can do it and it'll link back to you.

i'm not saying, this so you can be a criminal, it's that theyre using this as hard evidence of all crimes, so you might be indirectly linked b/c of genetic markers, if you trust the legal and popo to do a good and honest job, then sure why not, if youre watching the chauvin trial and you know that theyre gonna try 110% to convict him purely based on public opinion...

don't swab your mouth.
Hadn’t planned on it for heritage. Would like to for insight on possible medical issues, but not through any companies that I’ve heard of.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

don't swab your mouth.

I'd heard or read about like schools that were doing the ancestry DNA thing for free for their young students, and parents could "opt out." The whole thing makes me want to vomit.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

I'd heard or read about like schools that were doing the ancestry DNA thing for free for their young students, and parents could "opt out." The whole thing makes me want to vomit.
yea duh, thats why they were "anal swabbing" for covid, lulz

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

I didn't have a test. I did inform my daughter when I found out I had one that was already an adult she should get tested for a variety of medical issues to see if it was lurking ahead. Of course with the amount of blood I get drawn and tested often, plus all the little bits of shit I have around the house with blood from blood sugar testing on it wouldn't be all that difficult for someone to pick up my DNA to test me for a crime. But yeah I linked on way back in this thread a guy got picked up for murder because a relative got tested and bam cops knocking on the door shortly after. Had been looking for him for decades.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wife got us kits before Xmas just for shits and giggles.

I'm apparently mostly Scottish (wtf?) with a touch in northern Europe, and bits of wales/england/ireland, and a little does of South France.

That's it. I mean I understood having at least a bit of Native, but I had a fucked up family & childhood spent in fostercare, so shit can easily get exaggerated and lied about I suppose? Weird considering how much time I spent on a couple rez in Nova Scotia, guess my grandma was just crazy too? I got the black hair & always mistaken for native, kinda mind blowing now.

So yeah I need my kilt, and white privilege card please. I have a sudden urge to find some sheep too.
Do they make a distinction between Lowlands and Highlands Scottish? Lowlands are Anglo-Saxon (hence Scotland speaking English) and Highlands are Celtic (like Wales and Ireland).

Anglo-Saxon is prime germanic white privilage that would make Hitler proud. Celtic less so.

Anyway, if you can trace it back and find out which clan you are descended from, you get the family tartan.

I have a Scottish surname (even though research showed English coal miners in Wigan for 300 years) so pretty easy to know which tartan is mine. I was pretty pissed that they don't sell it at the Edinburgh Castle tartan shop though.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Do they make a distinction between Lowlands and Highlands Scottish? Lowlands are Anglo-Saxon (hence Scotland speaking English) and Highlands are Celtic (like Wales and Ireland).

Anglo-Saxon is prime germanic white privilage that would make Hitler proud. Celtic less so.

Anyway, if you can trace it back and find out which clan you are descended from, you get the family tartan.

I have a Scottish surname (even though research showed English coal miners in Wigan for 300 years) so pretty easy to know which tartan is mine. I was pretty pissed that they don't sell it at the Edinburgh Castle tartan shop though.
It's really not that specific, be far more interesting if it were. There's also 2-300ish years between Scotland and Nova Scotia, from what I've dug up doing regular research. Nova Scotia is the only thing outside Isles/France that shows on my DNA map, so it is quite literally my homeland I suppose.

Tartan stuff I forgot about, bunch of Wallace, Roy, Robb, McGregor ect in oldest records, but they just names without connecting history. I'll have to look into that eventually. I still wear plaid flannel all the time, just like I did as a kid, be funny/creepy if my favourites matched history.