Ancient Civilizations

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
How many giant granite blocks over a few thousand years? Not saying this is how it was, but they could have spent 100 years on each one.

I meant that Atlantis has to be magic to us. Like let's say that Altantis was on Thera and used the magma to smelt Steel chisels (that nobody else could melt down and repurpose by the way...) What problems does that solve? Then why couldn't the Egyptians figure that out themselves?

This is why I keep bringing up Ancient Aliens shit because most Atlantis theorists end up talking about ley line energy and acoustic levitation... otherwise what's the point? Some irrelevent Greek colony existed on the Azores and did fuck all?
no idea where you're getting all this magic or ancient aliens stuff. its not here. Aliens have spaceships and have no need of stone houses. am i supposed to provide a purpose for Atlantis? what purpose does any major ancient city serve? why did the ancient Egyptians make pyramids so big that they're still some of the largest structures in human history? does that mean Ancient Egypt doesnt exist? Atlantis was there for a reason, likely it was a neutral trade city for everyone in the known ancient world and when the catastrophe hit the region, they moved elsewhere or perished in the disaster. such a thing has happened before in human history. this planet was encased if a 1 mile high block of ice for 50 million years. a lot of shit has gone down on this planet. a lot of shit is yet to happen. what we know today as high technology will one day all be gone and a Chris a million years from now will be arguing with a Chuk on the million year in the future version of the internet that the earth never had such advanced things such as electricity and flight and all thats known about this period in history is that we have pyramids and really big dams.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got a theory. Western Mediterranean is much shallower than Eastern Mediterranean.

So once upon a time it's possible that the Western Mediterranean was a low-lying basin of land that could be crossed from Africa to Spain. Thus, the pre-Sahara civilization (aka Atlantis) that had trade routes across that region, would have been able to easily expand up into Spain, which became "Atlas' Land". Atlas being the name of every king of Atlantis.

Once the Strait of Gibraltar broke, I'm guessing the Atlantic Ocean flooded the Mediterranean, obliterating the Western Mediterranean living space and eliminating those land bridges.

1717103165380.png

The yellow areas being the parts of the Mediterranean that were probably above sea level at one point and got flooded out when Gibraltar broke.

This might actually explain the Great Flood. As in, maybe it wasn't a worldwide event, but simply a massively catastrophic event centered around the Mediterranean area that wiped out all of this land.

This would also explain why the legend persisted for thousands of years that King Atlas "dropped the western edge of the world" and it caused a great calamity. Gibraltar would be the western edge of Atlantis' domain if it ran from Spain (Atlas' Land) down through Richat and east through the not-yet-Sahara.

1717103110072.png

Time went by and Atlas' Land became Atalan, then Catalan, then Catalonia/Cataluna/Catalunya depending on what dialect is using it.

Mediterranean Sea became what it is today. Legend persisted about the time Atlas dropped the western edge of the world, and the Greeks made it into a story about a guy who was "holding up" the world. Sahara Desert emerged and expanded, causing the disappearance of Lake Chad and the rivers that flowed through that region, along with the Eden-like forested regions.

1717103193611.png

End result, the Mediterranean lowlands (and probably a lot of northern Africa) were destroyed by a flood, the Sahara region civilization was overcome by the calamity of sand, and Atlas' Land (probably the last territory they expanded to) was really the only part of that civilization that was spared from massive bad luck and destruction. The Sahara-region survivors migrated to Egypt and the Middle-East and helped the evolution of Ancient Egypt and Babylon. The survivors of the Mediterranean disaster probably retreated into Spain and Italy and eventually became Romans after a couple hundred more generations.

After a few thousand years civilization recovered to the point that historians could start keeping real records again that would be preserved, but by then most of the information about Atlantis and Atlas being an organized civilization was 6,000 year old legend. Thus, "modern civilization" starts up largely from scratch around 6,000 years ago. The Library of Alexandria was the greatest repository of information on any of these eras of time and somebody burned it down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I've got a theory. Western Mediterranean is much shallower than Eastern Mediterranean.

So once upon a time it's possible that the Western Mediterranean was a low-lying basin of land that could be crossed from Africa to Spain. Thus, the pre-Sahara civilization (aka Atlantis) that had trade routes across that region, would have been able to easily expand up into Spain, which became "Atlas' Land". Atlas being the name of every king of Atlantis.

Once the Strait of Gibraltar broke, I'm guessing the Atlantic Ocean flooded the Mediterranean, obliterating the Western Mediterranean living space and eliminating those land bridges.
It was the case; except this (the flooding of the Mediterranean) happened around 6 million years ago. Way too long to affect human civilization. Heck, at the time, the future human species was only splitting up with the future chimpanzee branch.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
It was the case; except this (the flooding of the Mediterranean) happened around 6 million years ago. Way too long to affect human civilization. Heck, at the time, the future human species was only splitting up with the future chimpanzee branch.
I don't know the details about this particular event so I'm not saying you're wrong. I assume you've got this detail right in terms of mainstream archaeology and dating, etc.

All I'm saying is that aside from certain kinds of carbon dating (in relics from living things) the science of dating is much less certain, and with much bigger error bars, than the mainstream interpretations admit. But the "official" story rests on dating evidence as if it was solid and absolute truth.

I'm just saying, if we want to consider alternative stories for human history, we almost have to accept that a lot of dating is probably wrong. Some of it could be hilariously wrong. There are a lot of bad assumptions baked in.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't know the details about this particular event so I'm not saying you're wrong. I assume you've got this detail right in terms of mainstream archaeology and dating, etc.

All I'm saying is that aside from certain kinds of carbon dating (in relics from living things) the science of dating is much less certain, and with much bigger error bars, than the mainstream interpretations admit. But the "official" story rests on dating evidence as if it was solid and absolute truth.

I'm just saying, if we want to consider alternative stories for human history, we almost have to accept that a lot of dating is probably wrong. Some of it could be hilariously wrong. There are a lot of bad assumptions baked in.
So you don't know anything about geology or this event, but because you think it would be more interesting if it explained a bible event, you are doubting "mainsteam" and "official" explanations.

The flood story is originally from Mesopotamia so it's likely just a river flood. That would explain the 40 day duration, river floods can stick around for a while. The Mediterranean flooding was permanent dumbass.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Wyoming Falling Rock. Seems to be included in the way more fringe theories, but more rarely. Exists in very remote Wyoming so doesn't have much through traffic.

1717366405307.png

• 2Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I agree.

For instance, if I found a house with no locks on the doors and no alarm clocks inside, I'd think it was from several thousand years ago.

• 1Salty
  • 1Double Worf

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So you don't know anything about geology or this event, but because you think it would be more interesting if it explained a bible event, you are doubting "mainsteam" and "official" explanations.

The flood story is originally from Mesopotamia so it's likely just a river flood. That would explain the 40 day duration, river floods can stick around for a while. The Mediterranean flooding was permanent dumbass.

How can the flood story be originally from Mesopotamia when cultures around the world who never encountered each other have some version of the flood myth? Native Americans, Australians, Incas, etc. all have flood myths

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
How can the flood story be originally from Mesopotamia when cultures around the world who never encountered each other have some version of the flood myth? Native Americans, Australians, Incas, etc. all have flood myths

a lot of native americans and australians have had their histories corrupted by christian missionaries. or rather thats the theory as to why everyone has a flood myth. of course there is factual evidence about massive turmoil happening globally all at the same time. 10000 BC.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

The Sumerian Flood Myth is one of the more interesting ones. As the Persian Gulf was ~200 feet lower than it is today in the distant past. That coupled with the Sumerian language itself that survived through later civilizations similar to how Latin does today, as well as Sumerian being a total language isolate that has no relationship to the Semitic languages of the region.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Floods happen all around the world, it's not a unique event that happened once.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they arent reporting a big storm that flooded a few buffalo wallows. these are monstrous floods that carry most everyone away and cause havoc that alters the rest of their lives and destroy their cultures. there arent many of those.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

How would the Incas who live in the mountains experience regular floods?

it's likely they are all referring to the same global cataclysmic event (or series of events)

Chris

Potato del Grande
they arent reporting a big storm that flooded a few buffalo wallows. these are monstrous floods that carry most everyone away and cause havoc that alters the rest of their lives and destroy their cultures. there arent many of those.
Yeah sounds like you'd need a large flat area with multiple river systems to supply enough water to stick around for a month. Know anywhere like that?

How would the Incas who live in the mountains experience regular floods?
Well they thought this lake could flood in their own myths:
So given they had a word for it, they did experience flooding.

Do you think the mountain peaks flooded?

It's likely they are all referring to the same global cataclysmic event (or series of events)
Why is it likely?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah sounds like you'd need a large flat area with multiple river systems to supply enough water to stick around for a month. Know anywhere like that?

Well they thought this lake could flood in their own myths:
So given they had a word for it, they did experience flooding.

Do you think the mountain peaks flooded?

Why is it likely?

Well the Inca flood myth derives from the more primitive Andean cultures who talk about some form of great flood at least 4,500 years prior. This is the Caral culture who was on the other side of the Andes, 600+ miles away from Titicaca. So while its likely they were aware of Titicaca, its probably unlikely that they lived around it to experience flooding. However, their culture was founded around the city of Huaricanga which was only 10 miles away from the Pacific Ocean. So whatever flooding they might have experienced would have likely been from the Pacific ocean, not Titicaca.

The timing of the myth itself puts it roughly in same time frame as Sumerian flood myth, the earliest mention of which is written by Sumerians about 4,000 years ago (but the flood happened some time earlier). So the timing is very close. Mayans have a flood myth that supposedly emerged around same time, though that just might be timing with emergence of their culture around same time.

I've seen this theory more than a few times and it matches up well timewise and location wise to the various flood myths that unconnected cultures started establishing around the same time

1717416285271.png

1717416348069.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

Who said anything about linking the flood story to the Med? I made a very general statement that considering alternative histories almost requires that we have to doubt some of the official dating.

Some of you people just want to fight, and its boring.