The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
And that is different technology than what Chuk and Kiroy are saying is wrong in the case of other buildings?
it may not be hexagonal, polygonal or cyclopean walls, but the symbology is similar to those other ancient civs.
Gobekli-Tepe-Mystery-Hands.png

a5b133a833f6bf3ceaa1f38d3dbb2a24.jpg

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
And that is different technology than what Chuk and Kiroy are saying is wrong in the case of other buildings?

you'll probably splurge out on me and I don't blame you, but if you're curious the finge theory is that gobleki tepe is one of the first sites to go up post dryas cataclysm, where the surviving "professionals" / "wisemen" from the pre dryas civs who built the megalithic sites 13k+++ years ago, spread back over the world to 'kickstart' civilization back up with their knowledge and skills.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Dont mind me. I'm a grump this week.

One of those " I wanna pour my research into my posts but dont have time " kind of weeks.

you'll probably splurge out on me and I don't blame you, but if you're curious the finge theory is that gobleki tepe is one of the first sites to go up post dryas cataclysm, where the surviving "professionals" / "wisemen" from the pre dryas civs who built the megalithic sites 13k+++ years ago, spread back over the world to 'kickstart' civilization back up with their knowledge and skills.

Yes, that's the running theory. I have to dig through my bookmarks. Lots of good stuff to chew on.

Void Void
Maybe even get that antigrav post in ;)

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dont mind me. I'm a grump this week.

One of those " I wanna pour my research into my posts but dont have time " kind of weeks.

Yes, that's the running theory. I have to dig through my bookmarks. Lots of good stuff to chew on.

Void Void
Maybe even get that antigrav post in ;)
did they ever figure out why Gobekli was buried? supposedly that litle bird with the globe was telling the tale of the incoming Younger Dryas metero/comet/solarburst coming to earth, but there isnt much on the topic.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
did they ever figure out why Gobekli was buried? supposedly that litle bird with the globe was telling the tale of the incoming Younger Dryas metero/comet/solarburst coming to earth, but there isnt much on the topic.

I dont think they've come up with a good theory at all.
But they have started excavating more of the site. Its frigging huge dude.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

it gets murky but with dryas, and as you look at the global temps at the time, there may have been many separate (but related) events within a thousand years or so, resulting in multiple attempts at restarts (of up to 100s of years). This is hancocks whole thing with the Taurid meteor stream. His claim is that this type of shit happens every X year cycle due to the particular location of earth coinciding with that particular meteor stream. He posits it's the same thing that happened to the dinosaurs and on a geologic time scale it's a fairly regular even that we get pummeled by meteors from the taurid (for the haters, no, he's not predicting the end of the world or specific timelines, but he does say we should put serious money into meteor defense research).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It could be wrong on either side, but the claim is that archaeologists will often cherry pick the material to carbon date from specific spots in the strata to get the date they are looking for.

Assuming that this is possible, which isn't obvious to me at all, what would their motivation be for doing this?

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
At least there was an answer in this case. it is odd the whole town knew about it for that long and never reported it to the historical society or whatever they call it over there.

Knowing the people of that earlier, they likely found it hilarious and the local politicians were probably hoping it'd boost tourism.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dude, you're literally proving my point. You Googled a method that could have been used. That's the most agreed upon method at this point. But the point stands, there are methods that are humanly capable.

I'm even more amused that my drunken ravings are holding true. You want to believe stupid shit about how humans would have been incapable of accomplishing something that was clearly built by humans as evidenced by how these buildings, walls, whatever.... I dunno, are still there. All across the planet. Just because they're all ancient isn't a counter argument.

No, actually I was trying to keep things civil, but I'll just lay it out there. You're a fuckin idiot, you took an ancient history class, saw some dipshit lecture at your public library and decided "hey let me go shit up a thread on FOH for the lulz". So, if all you're going to do is shit this thread up and "drunkenly rave" then move the fuck on. If not show us some credentials, I want to see some degrees and/or what basis you have to be act like a sanctimonious piece of shit in here.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty

Chris

Potato del Grande
it may not be hexagonal, polygonal or cyclopean walls, but the symbology is similar to those other ancient civs.
Gobekli-Tepe-Mystery-Hands.png

a5b133a833f6bf3ceaa1f38d3dbb2a24.jpg

As I've said before, This is my whole problem with this thread:

Basque number system is the same as the Mayan number system? They had a history of seafaring and crossed the Atlantic in the 1500's with their traditional shipbuilding methods? They have an anomalous language? The possibilities are tantalising.

Several cultures put their hands on their hips/bellies in art (seperate detached arms were invented by the Greeks? so where else do arms go other than by the side?) and had baskets (generic way to carry things) depicted in totally different art styles - shit there must be an ancient super culture/trade network with secret masonic bags that had the magic tools that built non identical megaliths worldwide!

There's a real issue with identifying what is a credible theory and what isn't.

I think Egypt and Mesopotamia must have had more links than is stated, they are quite close geographically unlike the other cradles of civilisation in India and China, so there's no reason to assume they developed things as independantly. I think there may have been limited contact with the americas pre columbus, there evidence of Viking camps on the east coast and Japanese artifacts on the west coast, castaways bringing ideas and tech would be interesting.

I don't know why things have to devolve into tenuous links whenever you guys see mounds of earth, mastercrafted temples or super accurate drystone walling.

• 2Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>

Basque number system is the same as the Mayan number system? They had a history of seafaring and crossed the Atlantic in the 1500's with their traditional shipbuilding methods? They have an anomalous language? The possibilities are tantalising.

Several cultures put their hands on their hips/bellies in art (seperate detached arms were invented by the Greeks? so where else do arms go other than by the side?) and had baskets (generic way to carry things) depicted in totally different art styles - shit there must be an ancient super culture/trade network with secret masonic bags that had the magic tools that built non identical megaliths worldwide!

I think Egypt and Mesopotamia must have had more links than is stated, they are quite close geographically unlike the other cradles of civilisation in India and China, so there's no reason to assume they developed things as independantly. I think there may have been limited contact with the americas pre columbus, there evidence of Viking camps on the east coast and Japanese artifacts on the west coast, castaways bringing ideas and tech would be interesting.

I don't know why things have to devolve into tenuous links whenever you guys see mounds of earth, mastercrafted temples or super accurate drystone walling.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

some of us see connections, some of us don't - seems like this is an open and shut case and we can move on

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Assuming that this is possible, which isn't obvious to me at all, what would their motivation be for doing this?

It must be consistency of data. There's a very good reason to want that if your goal is a finding. If your goal is wide observation then it's bad. But there's no conclusion in a data set that is too broad. There just isn't. And they're aiming for what rather than what if.

It's one thing for us or random amateurs to say "I dunno, something's weird" and play with ideas. It's entirely another thing for an educated professional in the field to expect to be given money in order to study ancient dirt just so that he can say, "Somethings weird, I dunno". And there aren't that many people that are able to do it professionally. The ones that do often pay for the opportunity.

It's like those migration maps. They're obviously fucked up, but they were stitched together to fit the evidence.

As more evidence comes in I do think it'll start changing to reflect that, and you'll get wider sampling. It wasn't that long ago, 60 years or so, that everyone was convinced the Mayans were a peaceful empire full of noble savages and the Aztecs were the Blood God assholes who wrekt'em. Just because ONE DUDE who went to south america and studied ruins said so. Because that notion appealed to him. Ultimately, it doesn't fit the evidence. And we know these days that mexicans have ALWAYS been bloodthirsty dirt people.

• 3Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't see this conformist thing in science at all. Nothing is more prestigious as a scientist than proving that the current thinking is wrong. Even if it were true though, we're not talking about bending with the breeze here. Radiocarbon dating is not a matter of opinion, it's an objective and repeatable measurement. What you're talking about is a global conspiracy to falsify data in order to simply preserve what people thought in the past, which is the antithesis of science. Then on the other hand, you wholeheartedly believe the one outlier and conclude that it is correct and all the others are wrong because apparently whoever is enforcing the the practice of falsifying the age of these relics let this one slip through the cracks?

Sorry but that is not by any means a rational conclusion.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think they're talking about data fabrication. They're talking about taking measurements from within a known range.

Which, there's a very good reason to DO that. For one thing, because of the way carbon dating works, they're forced to.

I think they may be attributing malfeasance to it, or they may not be. It's a limitation of the method, at worst. But the thing is the carbon dating method is the best one we have. It beats just guessing. It's variable though and it varies based on climate conditions. In order to correct for that we need to know those conditions. Which we're starting to learn with the ice cores... but a lot of work was done before taking that into account.