The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
I think the concern is that it would probably fry every active electronic device on the planet and in orbit around the planet if the poles shifted quickly like some science has suggested that they can. That's why it would be bad, it would basically be an world wide EMP. There would be a LOT of death with the instantenous or near instantaneous loss of electricty and it would change our global civilization for sure. For a few decades at least. But it's not world ending. Plants still grow, antartica stays frozen, the earth does not fly out of its orbit.

That's some goofy shit they're talking about.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So that you guys can see why I get frustrated at times, here's the conversation I literally just had with two coworkers.

They were talking about the poles shifting and bringing about an ice age, because of all the polar vortex shit (we're in California, and it might snow here in Sacramento for a brief second one of these next few days, so it's literally the apocalypse). I tried to just walk by and ignore it, but they pulled me in on purpose because they know I think they are all crazy. I forget exactly how it started, but the one specifically stated that the poles were going to abruptly shift and there would be a cataclysm of immense proportions because now all the ice at the current poles would melt, and the new poles would freeze up, etc.

After taking a calming breath, I said, "You're talking about the magnetic poles, right?" They said yes, of course, what other poles could they be talking about? Like I'm a stupid child. So I asked how the weather would change just by the magnetic poles shifting. And they said, I shit you not, "because the Earth would rotate and now the new poles would be 'up and down' compared to the sun."

I laughed out loud for a good bit there, which of course made them mad. Instead of just going in for the kill, I decided to play it out a bit, and I asked why, if the magnetic poles determined "up and down", were we at an angle to the sun currently? Is there some inherent property of magnetism that causes us to be tilted in relation to the sun? They didn't have an answer to that, but they said they expected that the new poles would be at a similar angle to the sun because of whatever reason we are currently tilted.

Eventually I explained to them that the ice caps and the seasons are entirely due to our tilt, which is COMPLETELY unrelated to what direction the magnetic poles are facing, and that shifting the poles wouldn't cause any changes other than fucking up compasses and any directional equipment that relied upon that instead of gps (which very well might result in deaths IF it were to happen instantly as they propose), and birds and other animals that use some kind of internal compass for migration, and possibly could fuck with the Van Allen belts, which could be really bad, but I'm not versed enough in that to say with any certainty, and since they didn't even know what the Van Allen belts are, they were only talking about their hypothetical impending ice age. We even googled the magnetic poles, and you'd be surprised at how many people asked that kind of question of google.

Once again, they were forced to admit they had no idea what they were talking about, but somehow I'm still a bad person for making them realize it. And this is why I'm always salty about things like this.
there are presumably sane people who believe shit too crazy for even Lumie to believe. back in december i had a conversation with a guy in Wendy's who was so sure that Aliens had just landed in NYC and were killing people just because there was an accident at Con-Ed and it caused a blue light in the city for a few hours. even my dad, god bless him used to tell me never stand in front of the microwave while its on because i would get hit with cosmic rays or whatever and be fucked. to this day when i'm microing some popcorn, i find myself doing other things away from it because even though i know its bullshit, why take the chance? when i see those TV commercials for Rogaine, i always wonder, how much cancer are those men slathering on their heads just to grow some hair?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So that you guys can see why I get frustrated at times, here's the conversation I literally just had with two coworkers.

They were talking about the poles shifting and bringing about an ice age, because of all the polar vortex shit (we're in California, and it might snow here in Sacramento for a brief second one of these next few days, so it's literally the apocalypse). I tried to just walk by and ignore it, but they pulled me in on purpose because they know I think they are all crazy. I forget exactly how it started, but the one specifically stated that the poles were going to abruptly shift and there would be a cataclysm of immense proportions because now all the ice at the current poles would melt, and the new poles would freeze up, etc.

After taking a calming breath, I said, "You're talking about the magnetic poles, right?" They said yes, of course, what other poles could they be talking about? Like I'm a stupid child. So I asked how the weather would change just by the magnetic poles shifting. And they said, I shit you not, "because the Earth would rotate and now the new poles would be 'up and down' compared to the sun."

I laughed out loud for a good bit there, which of course made them mad. Instead of just going in for the kill, I decided to play it out a bit, and I asked why, if the magnetic poles determined "up and down", were we at an angle to the sun currently? Is there some inherent property of magnetism that causes us to be tilted in relation to the sun? They didn't have an answer to that, but they said they expected that the new poles would be at a similar angle to the sun because of whatever reason we are currently tilted.

Eventually I explained to them that the ice caps and the seasons are entirely due to our tilt, which is COMPLETELY unrelated to what direction the magnetic poles are facing, and that shifting the poles wouldn't cause any changes other than fucking up compasses and any directional equipment that relied upon that instead of gps (which very well might result in deaths IF it were to happen instantly as they propose), and birds and other animals that use some kind of internal compass for migration, and possibly could fuck with the Van Allen belts, which could be really bad, but I'm not versed enough in that to say with any certainty, and since they didn't even know what the Van Allen belts are, they were only talking about their hypothetical impending ice age. We even googled the magnetic poles, and you'd be surprised at how many people asked that kind of question of google.

Once again, they were forced to admit they had no idea what they were talking about, but somehow I'm still a bad person for making them realize it. And this is why I'm always salty about things like this.

classic mixing up of pole shift and earth crust displacement cut em a break :)

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, to be sure, I said I have no idea what would happen if it actually shifted instantly, it could be really fucking bad or no big deal, but I totally fucking blew them away when I told them that it typically just slowly wanders until it is in an entirely different spot from thousands of years ago. When I showed them how much it had moved in the past century, it was like I had shown them the secrets of the universe. They had no idea it actually "moved" except for the doomsday instant-flip scenario they were both worried about.

I did try to cut them a break by just walking by and not participating btw! I know how these discussions will turn out every single time: they won't believe me if it is anything subjective at all, and if it can be "proven" like the poles thing, they'll still believe it will happen, just under a different name, such as your crust displacement thingie. If that's a thing. I purposely don't seek out these conversations anymore, trust me. But now it is almost like a badge of honor for them that they feel like NOW they've got me, and they will be able to declare victory for every belief they've ever had that I may or may not have even discussed with them. I'm like the Holy Grail or some shit. Occasionally I agree with whatever they are saying, and it really deflates their balloon when I tell them that yes, that's really a thing, and I totally agree. Doesn't happen often, but every blue moon.

On a tangent, I love talking about shit like the Fermi Paradox. I've had several aborted conversations about it, including with the "new girl" that has been here about a year. She's a full-on millennial, 28 or so, and at the Christmas party we actually started talking about The Great Filter and stuff, and for a bit it was a nice conversation. Until we got to the part where she told me how aliens are here, are in cahoots with our government, might even be walking among us, etc. I didn't even react really, but since I didn't agree with her she started to feel like I was doubting, and it went downhill from there.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It sounds like your friends are thinking that magnetism is what holds earth in orbit around the sun, which isn't true at all, it's gravity. Also, the earth's magnetic field reversing would not be a worldwide EMP at all. It's the same weak force that it always was, just in a reverse direction. There is some concern that if the poles reversed, the magnetic field might also get weaker at that time, and that would reduce how much it protects the earth from cosmic radiation, which could result in higher rates of cancer and possibly even some damage to electronics, but the pole shift itself wouldn't do anything except make the compass point the other way and possibly confuse some geese and such.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I thought it was a matter of speed. The poles drift and that makes no difference but if they were to flip quickly youd have some very confused electrons in the atmosphere and presumably a discharge as they reorient.

I might have made that up, I thought I read that.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
One theory is that when the comet or meteor hit us back -12k, that the impact, besides everything that happened with the flood, sent the magnetic poles off course and changed thier positions. In addition, supposedly the magnetic shield dropped over antartica, which happened to be where the major earth flood and tsunami hit then froze.
The pole shift back then cause magnetic anomalies and weird areas to appear around the globe. Like the Bermuda Triangle, or vortex spots where weird shit happens often enough that locals have built legends over the centuries about mysterious creatures and lights in the sky.

This was a terribly written post. Sorry about that.

• 1Worf

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
A LARGE meteor/comet COULD screw up the magnetic poles for a bit of time, and COULD potentially cause massive flooding & shift of the world in the direction of impact due to said impact...the inertial tensor could change, which would shift/rotate the world "around" the axis due to a change in balance of mass...

but that would be a minor shift it all depends on what got impacted where @what angle of incidence, an ocean impact could vaporize trillions of gallons of sea water instantly - a 10km meteror @25kps
would cause a crater ~180km wide and 5km deep(~13000 cubic km of volume gets impacted- if an ocean impact those dimentions amount to ABOUT 3,400,000,000,000,000 gallons of water.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
A LARGE meteor/comet COULD screw up the magnetic poles for a bit of time, and COULD potentially cause massive flooding & shift of the world in the direction of impact due to said impact...the inertial tensor could change, which would shift/rotate the world "around" the axis due to a change in balance of mass...

but that would be a minor shift it all depends on what got impacted where @what angle of incidence, an ocean impact could vaporize trillions of gallons of sea water instantly - a 10km meteror @25kps
would cause a crater ~180km wide and 5km deep(~13000 cubic km of volume gets impacted- if an ocean impact those dimentions amount to ABOUT 3,400,000,000,000,000 gallons of water.

this shift would likely be the least of the world's concerns if that happened

• 2Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
OH i know. it would ESSENTIALLY wipe out most of life of the planet, but people/animals/bugs/fish would survive.

• 1Like

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
ya his last couple vids have been really week, I assuming cause he's working on his space channel and pooping out nuggets for this main channel to advertise it, I guess

I honestly think he sounded disappointed that they might have figured out how the bad ass stone walls were built. Like, 'okay that's not much of a mystery anymore, I guess we'll move on to space.' I'm a little bummed about the walls and might have preferred it stay an unsolved mystery.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I honestly think he sounded disappointed that they might have figured out how the bad ass stone walls were built. Like, 'okay that's not much of a mystery anymore, I guess we'll move on to space.' I'm a little bummed about the walls and might have preferred it stay an unsolved mystery.
nah, he's been talking about his space channel since late december. the rock thing is untested and still just a theory. no way of knowing if its at all feasible given the number of those kinds of rocks in peru.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
OH i know. it would ESSENTIALLY wipe out most of life of the planet, but people/animals/bugs/fish would survive.

Exactly. Gojira wrote a song about it actually. Called flying whales. You can see them in the sky to guide you to safety. The thing is, the oceans is in the sky while the world flips. Probably the worst summing up of that epic song. I fail.

Ya, it moves every year, but this past year was the most movement weve seen yet.
It's crazy to think that if the movement went just a few inches In a day instead of a year, that this epoch would end in dramatic fashion.

The mystery booms recorded all over the world may have something to do with the pole shift too.....or the plasma discharges that get mistaken for ufos.
Wish we had a real measuring stick tho. Not having a proper and definitive reference in the past to look at blows.

• 2Like