Angelina Jolie has double mastectomy

spronk

FPS noob
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/op...Zi1DP/7QK0OYA&

She had the BRCA1 gene which apparently increases chance of breast cancer from 5% to 87% (fuck!) so as a preventative measure had a double mastectomy. Her mother had the gene presumably too and died at 56.

I'm pretty speechless, that's way more guts than I would have to tackle mortality like that head on. You don't have cancer, but you have the gene that means you will probably get it "soon". You could wait for some magic anti-cancer drugs, or remove the tissue that the cancer attacks now. Goddamn.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you imagine being the doctor that had to cut off both of Angelina Jolie's beautiful, round, healthy tits? That's some fucked up Game of Thrones shit right there.

/wrist

Lowendtheory_sl

shitlord
Can you imagine being the doctor that had to cut off both of Angelina Jolie's beautiful, round, healthy tits? That's some fucked up Game of Thrones shit right there.

/wrist
Hahaha I was just about to say the same thing. If it was a male doctor he must have cried himself to sleep that night.

They should put him on suicide watch.

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
She's 37 now. She won't be playing femme fatales for that much longer and she's fabulously wealthy enough that she doesn't need her tits to make money anymore.

Sucks but better for her than the absurdly high chance of getting cancer - she has like 10 dozen third world kids to support too.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That and apparently she's already got implants in (as it was the final stage of her surgery deal) and knowing what money can achieve, they probably still look good. Good for her.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
37 and skinny as fuck, the implants probably look better than her real tits did at this point. Not that it matters, she wasn't gonna be whipping them out any more. So stop mourning tits that were no longer relevant, Kate Upton still has a few good years in hers so we should all focus on those instead.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
It was probably for the breast.
2009994_funny_celebrity_pictures_i_see_what_you_did_there_Kim_Kardashian_as_Poison_Ivy_for_Halloween_is_the_breast_costume_ever-s500x375-252546-580.jpg

see-what-you-did-there-16.jpg

wtf-boobs_133295628769.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/op...Zi1DP/7QK0OYA&

She had the BRCA1 gene which apparently increases chance of breast cancer from 5% to 87% (fuck!) so as a preventative measure had a double mastectomy. Her mother had the gene presumably too and died at 56.

I'm pretty speechless, that's way more guts than I would have to tackle mortality like that head on. You don't have cancer, but you have the gene that means you will probably get it "soon". You could wait for some magic anti-cancer drugs, or remove the tissue that the cancer attacks now. Goddamn.
It's more common than you'd think. My family has Lynch syndrome (it's a family of related genetic disorders on at least one pair of a particular RNA mismatch repair mechanism gene) which causes stomach and colon cancers (>80% lifetime chance of developing it and the median age of development is lowered by 10 years) and also has some elevated risks of uterine, ovarian, and endometrial cancers in women. Prior to to getting back my genetic test I had to give serious thought to either having prophylactic surgery to remove my large intestine or having to get a colonoscopy every year. A few of my aunts have gotten prophylactic hysterectomies. Thankfully I'm "only" at normal risk for developing cancer.