Animated movies that surprised you

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Most already mentioned.

Not mentioned:

Shrek 4 - Shrek 3 sucked and only saw 4 because it was on HBO. But thought 4 was the best of the series.

Puss n' Boots. Thought this would also suck, but it was on HBO... and... Antonio Banderas makes a hella good talking cat. Better than any of the Shrek movies and better than a lot of recent Pixar crap (Brave, Cars 2, Rattatouile).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most already mentioned.

Not mentioned:

Shrek 4 - Shrek 3 sucked and only saw 4 because it was on HBO. But thought 4 was the best of the series.

Puss n' Boots. Thought this would also suck, but it was on HBO... and... Antonio Banderas makes a hella good talking cat. Better than any of the Shrek movies and better than a lot of recent Pixar crap (Brave, Cars 2, Rattatouile).
Shrek 1 is really dated, it's almost painful to look at when it comes on an HD channel. 12 years is a really long time in the CG / Animation world.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Brave. Female lead doesn't like her fate, mostly because she isn't getting her way.. she is a horrible person. She was in fact totally ok with her "fate" when it involved a male she thought was attractive.
Runs away, ruins everyones lives. and in the after having to come to terms with the fact everyone is on the brink of war, and facing her mistakes. She decides to do as she pleases, in complete contradiction to everything that has happened and not care what anyone else thinks. everyone is inexplicable ok with this, despite her having done nothing to actually change anyones mind.
She's a teenage girl, she doesn't want to get married, she doesn't listen to her parents. Her mom doesn't listen to her. Morals etc.

I thought it was fine, but yeah, Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled were much better movies. The target audience, ie my daughters, love it. But they prefer Wreck-It Ralph to it.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Finally got around to watching Brave and Wreck it ralph.
Did a search, and only this thread came up. I guess the threads were in the old forums?

Don't want to make a new thread, though.

So weird. The Disney movie, Wreck-it Ralph is SO much better then Brave, the Disney/Pixar movie.

Brave was in June of 2012
Wreck it Ralph- Nov of 2012.

Directors of both had few credits. mostly TV stuff.

Stories seem to have polar opposite messages.

Brave. Female lead doesn't like her fate, mostly because she isn't getting her way.. she is a horrible person. She was in fact totally ok with her "fate" when it involved a male she thought was attractive.
Runs away, ruins everyones lives. and in the after having to come to terms with the fact everyone is on the brink of war, and facing her mistakes. She decides to do as she pleases, in complete contradiction to everything that has happened and not care what anyone else thinks. everyone is inexplicable ok with this, despite her having done nothing to actually change anyones mind.

Ralph. Male lead doesn't like his fate, because everyone is a dick to him all the time. He is a nice guy, but completely denied any justice. He runs away, which causes real problems for everyone else around him. He faces his problems, makes friends, and realizes that he can't change his fate. But he can make the best of it, and as long as he has friends, thats ok.
(brave) i didn't know that after the trailer but I had a general idea that it was about a girl wanting to get out of everything and do whatever the fuck she wants...

i don't want to interject any social commentary because of it...and other stories with female lead roles...
but jebus....

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So at this point the answer to the thread title question, Animated movies that surprised you, is "all of them". Pretty sure we've named every single animated movie ever made.

Actually, just a minute, was anyone surprised by Steamboat Willie yet?