Animated movies that surprised you

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oblivion Island, Summer Wars, Sword of the Stranger

I believe I randomly saw a trailer or clip for each one and decided to pick them up.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within really surprised me. I even cried. It might be the worst movie ever made.

A little late with the Academy Awards over but Brave was really good especially if you have a daughter.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fantastic mr Fox, Tangled, How to Train your dragon. Im surprised someone mentioned Brave, that was my least favorite pixar movie after cars

nuday

Golden Squire
Fantastic Mr. Fox really is an amazing movie. I also really love Spirited Away.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I have found memories of The Nightmare Before Christmas; although, I don't imagine it has held up well over time.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within really surprised me. I even cried. It might be the worst movie ever made.

A little late with the Academy Awards over but Brave was really good especially if you have a daughter.
haha

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
WALL-E really surprised me. i watched it with my 6 year old nephew. it was actually a very good movie.

Caliane

how the heck did Wall-E surprise you?

Thats like the height of Pixar's output.

Tangled and Megamind/how to train your dragon.
Disney movies have not been so great in a while. Tangled really was a step up.

Dreamworks out of nowhere with both those two.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind. Saw this on like Free HBO week or something as a kid. Had no idea what I had just seen. Wasn't till high school, art teacher showed it, that I had a "THAT MOVIE". One of the biggest reasons for an interest in art.
Its not really the same NOW. as its pretty common, and even the western animation has changed. But travel back to 1984, or 88. Have nothing but Disney movies, Secret of Nimh, and looney toons. Then suddenly, Nausicaa, or Akira. Man. mind blown.

Even western non-Disney, didnt really have that kind of impact. The last unicorn, The hobbit, wizards, fire and ice.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Rise of the Guardians was How to train your Dragon good. Very surprised by this and can't wait for more.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How to train you Dragon in one of the best animated movies, I probably liked it more than kung fu panda

Cybsled

Grave of the Fireflies. I had no idea an animated movie could be that fucking depressing.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
how the heck did Wall-E surprise you?

Thats like the height of Pixar's output.

Tangled and Megamind/how to train your dragon.
Disney movies have not been so great in a while. Tangled really was a step up.

Dreamworks out of nowhere with both those two.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind. Saw this on like Free HBO week or something as a kid. Had no idea what I had just seen. Wasn't till high school, art teacher showed it, that I had a "THAT MOVIE". One of the biggest reasons for an interest in art.
Its not really the same NOW. as its pretty common, and even the western animation has changed. But travel back to 1984, or 88. Have nothing but Disney movies, Secret of Nimh, and looney toons. Then suddenly, Nausicaa, or Akira. Man. mind blown.

Even western non-Disney, didnt really have that kind of impact. The last unicorn, The hobbit, wizards, fire and ice.
WALL-E surprised me because i wasn't really expecting a movie with that much depth. i mean, it was a movie about robots. so i was impressed by just how good it really was (not just as an animated movie, but just as a movie in general). also, rango was surprisingly good. went into that movie without a lot of expectations.

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
Twilight of the Fireflies. I had no idea an animated movie could be that fucking depressing.
Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I think you mean "Grave" of the Fireflies? - and I totally agree. It definitely works better before everyone tells you it's the most depressing cartoon ever though.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Plague Dogs.Also Watership Down, same people but not as shocking. As far as I can tell from various similar threads to this I am the only human to have ever seen The Plague Dogs. I was like 6 and my asshole older brothers let me watch it. Movie is was too fucked up for a 6 year old...

Dragon Hunters.This was a suggestion from FoH a few years back.

Also Coraline just because I went in to it with almost no prior knowledge.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Transformers: The Movie - I mean, you watch the cartoons for years as a kid, and then shit happens in the movie that completely changes everything.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - HOT BOX! I fucking love that movie so much. The voice-acting and animation totally made that film.