Annihilation (2018)

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I powered through them last year on a work trip. I liked them. The story is pretty lovecraftian.

The books are really well written...I just don't get it as a movie though. It would not have been one that I greenlighted.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The books are really well written...I just don't get it as a movie though. It would not have been one that I greenlighted.

They have the whole series for 1 credit on Audible, so I picked it up. Got through the first book, and just getting into the second. The first one was pretty bleh, but the second at least seems more interesting. How's the series finish out as a whole?

spronk

FPS noob
Sounds like they don't expect the movie to do well at the box office, they made a deal with Netflix where it will be released ON netflix everywhere except US, Canada, and China 17 days after the movie opens. Which pretty much means everyone will just wait 3 weeks and watch it on netflix or pirate it. It didn't screen well with test audiences this year either, but who knows if that means anything since test audiences are wildly unreliable.
'Annihilation': Behind-the-Scenes of a Producer Clash and That Netflix Deal (Exclusive)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
They clearly changed the story from the book going by that trailer. Don't really get that as it wasn't a hard story to follow.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
They clearly changed the story from the book going by that trailer. Don't really get that as it wasn't a hard story to follow.

Looks like they condensed the trilogy into one movie, and liberally grabbed elements that would work better for film. I finished the books before Thanksgiving, and they were pretty lackluster. Just never gave a shit about any of the characters other then maybe Control. The whole narrative just seemed too disjointed, and felt like the author was busy trying for so much ambiguity and unanswered questions that you'd feel compelled to keep reading.

I'd honestly be curious what some of you guys thought of the books if you've read them.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Here are my thoughts on the books:
  • The author writes words well, but no one edit-checked the excess use of obscure words so it read like intellectual masturbation for the literate. It's like he did a word ranking on TF-IDF and set a goal to use 2-3 high ranking words per page. As a literate reader, I still found it distracting.
  • The story had a great hook to start, but there was no resolution and the POV changes (across books) combined with duplicates meant that you didn't care about anyone or the lack of resolution by the time that you got there.
  • The "dusk jacket" summary of the books makes a great hook for a movie, but the convoluted nature of books combined with the time spent "in someone's head" or "setting the scene" will make for a confusing movie without significant liberties taken with the storyline.
  • The characters have some interesting personality, but the relationships between them are shallow and they behave like cardboard cutouts and cliches. Wooden.
I was entertained just enough to finish them but would not recommend them, and am skeptical of this movie based upon the books.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It looks like that Evolution Sci Fi comedy with David Duchovny, hyper mutating organism mini/maxing the best traits.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
on a side note. stuff like this triggers immediate nerd gripes. If there was a giant shimmer wall, there would be camps of scientists at it. In RL the whole movie would be them just at that perimeter doing studies and bottling samples. They wouldn't just blindly walk in.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Juvarisx

Florida
Man there is only 1 showing of this at the theater near me. Wish it was on Netflix now like it is elsewhere.

spronk

FPS noob
Man there is only 1 showing of this at the theater near me. Wish it was on Netflix now like it is elsewhere.

it won't be out on netflix for another 3-4 weeks, internationally. Then LATER it will be available for US netflix customers, although obviously anyone who can click on a torrent link will be able too see it

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Wait for torrent or moviepass the thing but do not pay to watch this.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wait for torrent or moviepass the thing but do not pay to watch this.
giphy.gif

Sadface

• 1Like