Annihilation (2018)

spronk

FPS noob
Netflix hasn't said at all yet when it will be up on Netflix for US customers, presumably Paramount insisted they not talk about it until its out of theaters so as not to tank ticket sales. It'll be up on Netflix France and Belgium March 7th and other countries (except US) March 12th so you can torrent it around then. I'd guess it'll go up on Netflix USA sometime in April?

and yeah after a few days I have to say the movie is dogshit, while I think it has some basic cool sci fi ideas it was just done way too slow and you feel like you HAVE to say nice things about it otherwise you are a "dummy who didn't get it" but there really isn't much to get about the movie, its a really simple story that most sci fi nerds will understand faster than the characters themselves and the characters behave like Prometheus scientists, and hand waiving away every bad move by "well, the Shimmer is fucking with their minds!" isn't good enough. There is a cool idea behind the movie but all I got to see was half of the execution, its like a short story that got stretched into 2 hours.

For recent Netflix movies for enjoyment I'd rank em as

Mute
Bright
Cloverfield Paradox
Annihilation

None were above a 6/10 though so thats a big problem for Netflix.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This movie reminded me of Chinese food. Tasted pretty good while I was eating it, but when I got home and sat down I realized there wasn’t much substance to it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Netflix hasn't said at all yet when it will be up on Netflix for US customers, presumably Paramount insisted they not talk about it until its out of theaters so as not to tank ticket sales. It'll be up on Netflix France and Belgium March 7th and other countries (except US) March 12th so you can torrent it around then. I'd guess it'll go up on Netflix USA sometime in April?

and yeah after a few days I have to say the movie is dogshit, while I think it has some basic cool sci fi ideas it was just done way too slow and you feel like you HAVE to say nice things about it otherwise you are a "dummy who didn't get it" but there really isn't much to get about the movie, its a really simple story that most sci fi nerds will understand faster than the characters themselves and the characters behave like Prometheus scientists, and hand waiving away every bad move by "well, the Shimmer is fucking with their minds!" isn't good enough. There is a cool idea behind the movie but all I got to see was half of the execution, its like a short story that got stretched into 2 hours.

For recent Netflix movies for enjoyment I'd rank em as

Mute
Bright
Cloverfield Paradox
Annihilation

None were above a 6/10 though so thats a big problem for Netflix.

I am not sure how seriously I can take you, when you put this movie under Cloverfield Paradox. This movie has to be at least better than that movie was.

• 1Solidarity

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Wasn't expecting a good movie seeing as the book was a pile of shit. Movie lived up to low expectations.

• 1Like

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I read the synopsis of the book on Wikipedia, somehow i think they could have combined the 2 ideas to come up with a better story overall. the movie is so loosely tied to the book that it could have been named something completely different and still had the same effect.

also if you want major wtf-ism read about the book sequels.

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea after reading some parts about the book its pretty clear the movie failed to deliver some pretty key storylines. Especially regarding the therapist and the code words.

Juvarisx

Florida
This thread seems pretty split on the quality of this movie.

It's not really quality, its how much do you like weird abstract shit?

The ending in the lighthouse kinda defines it for you I think. I liked it a lot and found it creepy as shit, I can see how people would find it weird, drawn out and boring though

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
This movie tried to tell an allegorical story, but I feel it was too hidden and comes out a confusing mess. Mother! was a similar movie for me, but handled the allegory better (maybe a bit TOO on the nose). I wish they would have focused more on the science and less on the understory as there were some good (even original?) concepts, it just didn't tie together well enough.

Swing and a miss.

• 1Solidarity

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Most people are put off by the climax sequence which came off as more artistic and less Science Fiction.

However I give them credit for trying to be creative, there was an effort to create a "hair-raising" feeling of being trapped face to face with something completely different from anything, and the music blended enough where that in the theaters, there was a creepy vibe to the "performance'". It wasn't great or really good Science Fiction though.

Everything else was a thriller/horrorish movie, but it was entertaining. The ideas they floated, regarding the nature of the Shimmer phenomenon were actually very interesting, and I wish they expanded deeper on them.

The all female party is ok, but the nature of the women in the movie and their motivations for being there, corrupts the ability to tell a good Science Fiction movie. Instead there's more focus on the characters that really don't belong inside the Shimmer in the first place--coupled with the strange surrealism of the Shimmer--you get all these weird events that probably could have been explained in a different way, with greater impact.

Overall I still found it enjoyable, didn't feel like my time was wasted. I suppose I like Science Fiction and unique ideas so I tend to go softer on movies like this. To reiterate 7/10.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This movie can be taken at face value or taken as a work of art.

I get the feeling that a lot of the people who don't like the movie think the movie is mostly allegorical/philosophical. I wouldn't like the movie too if that was the case, so I take it as face value.

I think the "philosophy" in this movie is weak. Go read Dostoyevsky if you want that deep shit; don't watch a Hollywood movie. I also don't expect too much philosophy from the Dune movie, even though that's one of my favorite books.

• 1Worf

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Most people are put off by the end scene which came off as more artistic and less Science Fiction.

However I give them credit for trying to be creative, there was an effort to create a "hair-raising" feeling of being trapped face to face with something completely different from anything, and the music blended enough where that in the theaters, that there was a creepy vibe to it. It wasn't great or really good Science Fiction though.

Everything else was a thriller/horrorish movie, but it was entertaining enough, and I like the ideas they floated, I wish they expanded deeper into them. The all female party is ok, but the nature of the women in the movie and their motivations for being their corrupts the ability to tell a natural Science Fiction movie, instead there's more focus on the characters that really don't belong their in the first place, and coupled with the strange surrealism of the Shimmer, you get all these weird events that probably could have been explained in a different way.

I still found it enjoyable, I suppose I like Science Fiction and unique ideas so I go softer on movies like this.

So what was your take on the movie?

My take was that it was about cancer. It changes everything that touches it, mostly for the worst. It had been around for about 3 years, but was growing more aggressive and spreading. Some people want to understand it, some want to fight it, and some just accept their fate. Most who encounter it died (although leaving clues that may help the next people), and the scene at the end was her realizing that her husband would not be the man he once was, but neither would she. Maybe I was off-base, but that's what I took away from it?

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
So what was your take on the movie?

My take was that it was about cancer. It changes everything that touches it, mostly for the worst. It had been around for about 3 years, but was growing more aggressive and spreading. Some people want to understand it, some want to fight it, and some just accept their fate. Most who encounter it died (although leaving clues that may help the next people), and the scene at the end was her realizing that her husband would not be the man he once was, but neither would she. Maybe I was off-base, but that's what I took away from it?

I chose to accept it literally; now that you mentioned it:

-cancer is mentioned at the beginning of the movie when Natalie Portman's character is speaking to her Med students,
-Shepard (the cutest one) being there because her daughter had died of Lukemia.
-the psychologist, there because she is dying of cancer.

I hadn't bothered to even consider symbolism, but this more than likely not a coincidence and you're probably right that there is a second story.

However I went to see a Science Fiction movie, so I really only cared for the surface level. As far as I'm concerned Portman's husband went into the Shimmer to die or find some type of answer to life, having been briefed to some degree on the peculiar nature of the Ops. Portman went in as she said, because, "I owe him." Which I simply take to mean she betrayed him, and had come to the conclusion that he went in the Shimmer to die as having discovered her betrayal, he could not cope. She figures her best odds to help him is to investigate the Shimmer herself. As unrealistic as it is for them to send a team of just female researchers and a paramedic, I simply chose to believe that they had thought that maybe the prior missions being all soldiers and mostly men, they were taking a shot in the dark and trying a last ditch effort. It was sufficient explanation for me because I was interested in the Science Fiction and not the characters themselves. Ultimately it really doesn't make sense for her to be ok with the fake version of her husband, because he's not even a good copy.

The idea that it's actually an allegory for the trauma of battling and surviving cancer only to be deeply permanently altered makes sense, reminds me of this story: https://nypost.com/2015/07/12/botched-cancer-surgery-turned-my-husband-into-a-stranger/

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
You can go even deeper and
Say its cancer against "The Earth", ie the asteroid impacts Earth and starts spreading and mutating and will eventually kill/change all life on Earth. There is a bit of "HUMANS ARE THE REAL CANCER" you can throw in too with regards to climate change.

However, to me this is just sticking your finger in your ass and saying it doesn't stink. Yeah, you can make metaphors for cancer, humanity, global warming, etc but end of the day the actual story behind the metaphor has to be interesting and fully realized and work strictly as a story, and both mother! and Annihilation fail that test for me. They focus too hard on the metaphor and the actual story itself is not that great.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I saw this tonight. I liked it. It wasn't the best or deepest movie I've ever seen, but I liked it.

When I watch movies, I never try to predict whats going to happen. I like to sit back, immerse myself, and let them tell me the story. If I have questions after I can look on here or /r/movies. But this movie, what the shimmer was doing was so obvious that within about 2 minutes I already figured out, and a lot of them exploring it wasn't interesting. The only real question was "whats causing the shimmer." Although, there were plenty of tense and terrifying scenes. The end sequence was fucking insane. Completely bizarre and original and it was honestly jaw-dropping. I mean it (the end sequence) was completely insane and a true pleasure to watch. I applaud them for being creative and so very ambitious. You don't see that often in movies anymore.

Also, I think Scoresby is completely correct. Valkyrie (when she walked off and died) basically echoed what Scoresby said and it all makes sense.

I give it a 7/10. It failed to emotionally connect with me in the way that Interstellar or Arrival did.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I just saw it with the wife. it was...bad at illustrating it's own message and symbolism.

I liked a lot of the scifi in it. it reminded me of the setting (not the story arc) of stalker shadow of chernobyl.

I think it's certainly an analogy for cancer. each character was symolic of ways folks take on cancer (or shit maybe even all the characters were stages of grief? anyway): acceptance, Fighting it, confronting/understanding it/doing one last meaningful thing,Loosing your shit, giving in and dieing. not sure on ripped apart by bear girl's symbolism. anyway as for the actual story:

A few things i noted.

1. glorious ineptitude. Why did the best minds on earth who were researching the first extra terrestrial phenomenon not only fail to send in larger, expert driven teams. why didn't they get fucking notebooks and write notes on paper. they knew electronics didn't "work" because drones went in and never came back? why didn't they send some one in literally 5 feet into the shimmer and have them giggle and run out and run tests on them? why did no one on the husband's team not throw phospheroous grenades down that hole when they decided the place was wacky/evil. I know I'd of wanted to burn that place down. I know in your zombie movies and such ineptitude is part of the "normal man in a bad circumstance" but this was supposed to be a focal point of american/earth security and exploration.

2. mind transferance/devolution?! early on it felt like everything was devolving and mutating. I thought it was insane that the mondo gator didn't tear that girl's leg off. there's no way you could drag a person away from a gator. But then when the bear/megatherium thing came back yelling in the dead woman's voice....I thought what had happened is that the girl hauled off by the bear had mutated into a bear, or the two of them had merged into one form some how. that's why i thought the thing followed them. yelled in the dead girls voice. then the dyke shot at/fought it. the bearsloth then walked into the room of it's former friends and tried to communicate with them, but could not. it was in pain, confused and scared. It was not till angrydyke came back and shot at it that it went primal. I briefly thought that the shimmer was turning people into de-evolved lifeforms and that the consciousness was trapped in those forms some how. I had thought the gator was a similar person/animal hybrid and that is why it didn't' go beast mode and eat every woman who ran into the water. but... I think i was just connecting dots and that the writers didn't mean for that. I think it was just hokey shit the writers put in to make scenes creepy/actiony with no link to the story.

3. the ending. I think one of two things happened "in the end". (and i suppose it could be both). as was said by flower girl. she was acceptance. Lina was "fight it", bosswoman was "understand it". When lina went into the cosmic butthole, she found her way inside of the HG Geiger structure of the epicenter of fuckery. In there, she found the lady. who "now understood" and was subsequently turned into energy, then used to create the kaleidoscope of dickery. The kaleidoscope of dickery, creates copies. it "divides" your whole self (LIKE all the cel symbolism!). I think the Kaleidoscope makes a copy of whatever gets nearby, which either then maintains form, or is reduced to a simpler state/mutates. i think the crystal trees were exposed the longest to the kaleidoscope, so they reached a very compact, unchanging form (crystaline). anyway. I thing husbando went into the butthole, and the kaleidoscope made a copy of him. and the two of them became bros, and talked about the situation. one of them was falling apart. neither was certain which was the original, but i presume the burned man was the original. They agreed that one had to go find Lina. So he did. She went in, went into the butthole herself. The kaleidoscope copied her. Husband was in a greif state. she wasn't, she was in an angry fight state. so she fought her copy. and eventually managed to trick it, burn it. and then the copy (being a copy of her) said fuck this shit and burned down the whole place.

Now after that. One of two endings happens. Either the real woman escaped, but is now full of wacky-ass DNA, which is changed, but no longer unstable because the Epicenter of Fuckery was burned down. She sees her husband. knows he's a copy, but she accepts him anyway, because she needed to get past their martial issues and he was as real as she was.

OR

everything happened, but the copy of her escaped and it was some how making a pod-person scenario happen. She was essentially lieing about any number of elements of her narrative to get closer to her pod husbando. she got back to base, saw pod husbando, and the two of them hugged, knowing that they both are now on earth and pretending to be humans. I'm skeptical about podperson theory because she was merely a copy. if she had plans to invade earth, her lame human copy will get annihilated by that giant room full of angry American soldiers. also, when she spoke to the husbando copy, he was confused, just like she was. the copies seem to not know if they are copies, and are so perfect, that a team of extra terrestrial super scientists could not discern he was false with all the labs in the world.

• 2Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I just saw it with the wife. it was...bad at illustrating it's own message and symbolism.

I liked a lot of the scifi in it. it reminded me of the setting (not the story arc) of stalker shadow of chernobyl.

I think it's certainly an analogy for cancer. each character was symolic of ways folks take on cancer (or shit maybe even all the characters were stages of grief? anyway): acceptance, Fighting it, confronting/understanding it/doing one last meaningful thing,Loosing your shit, giving in and dieing. not sure on ripped apart by bear girl's symbolism. anyway as for the actual story:

A few things i noted.

1. glorious ineptitude. Why did the best minds on earth who were researching the first extra terrestrial phenomenon not only fail to send in larger, expert driven teams. why didn't they get fucking notebooks and write notes on paper. they knew electronics didn't "work" because drones went in and never came back? why didn't they send some one in literally 5 feet into the shimmer and have them giggle and run out and run tests on them? why did no one on the husband's team not throw phospheroous grenades down that hole when they decided the place was wacky/evil. I know I'd of wanted to burn that place down. I know in your zombie movies and such ineptitude is part of the "normal man in a bad circumstance" but this was supposed to be a focal point of american/earth security and exploration.

2. mind transferance/devolution?! early on it felt like everything was devolving and mutating. I thought it was insane that the mondo gator didn't tear that girl's leg off. there's no way you could drag a person away from a gator. But then when the bear/megatherium thing came back yelling in the dead woman's voice....I thought what had happened is that the girl hauled off by the bear had mutated into a bear, or the two of them had merged into one form some how. that's why i thought the thing followed them. yelled in the dead girls voice. then the dyke shot at/fought it. the bearsloth then walked into the room of it's former friends and tried to communicate with them, but could not. it was in pain, confused and scared. It was not till angrydyke came back and shot at it that it went primal. I briefly thought that the shimmer was turning people into de-evolved lifeforms and that the consciousness was trapped in those forms some how. I had thought the gator was a similar person/animal hybrid and that is why it didn't' go beast mode and eat every woman who ran into the water. but... I think i was just connecting dots and that the writers didn't mean for that. I think it was just hokey shit the writers put in to make scenes creepy/actiony with no link to the story.

3. the ending. I think one of two things happened "in the end". (and i suppose it could be both). as was said by flower girl. she was acceptance. Lina was "fight it", bosswoman was "understand it". When lina went into the cosmic butthole, she found her way inside of the HG Geiger structure of the epicenter of fuckery. In there, she found the lady. who "now understood" and was subsequently turned into energy, then used to create the kaleidoscope of dickery. The kaleidoscope of dickery, creates copies. it "divides" your whole self (LIKE all the cel symbolism!). I think the Kaleidoscope makes a copy of whatever gets nearby, which either then maintains form, or is reduced to a simpler state/mutates. i think the crystal trees were exposed the longest to the kaleidoscope, so they reached a very compact, unchanging form (crystaline). anyway. I thing husbando went into the butthole, and the kaleidoscope made a copy of him. and the two of them became bros, and talked about the situation. one of them was falling apart. neither was certain which was the original, but i presume the burned man was the original. They agreed that one had to go find Lina. So he did. She went in, went into the butthole herself. The kaleidoscope copied her. Husband was in a greif state. she wasn't, she was in an angry fight state. so she fought her copy. and eventually managed to trick it, burn it. and then the copy (being a copy of her) said fuck this shit and burned down the whole place.

Now after that. One of two endings happens. Either the real woman escaped, but is now full of wacky-ass DNA, which is changed, but no longer unstable because the Epicenter of Fuckery was burned down. She sees her husband. knows he's a copy, but she accepts him anyway, because she needed to get past their martial issues and he was as real as she was.

OR

everything happened, but the copy of her escaped and it was some how making a pod-person scenario happen. She was essentially lieing about any number of elements of her narrative to get closer to her pod husbando. she got back to base, saw pod husbando, and the two of them hugged, knowing that they both are now on earth and pretending to be humans. I'm skeptical about podperson theory because she was merely a copy. if she had plans to invade earth, her lame human copy will get annihilated by that giant room full of angry American soldiers. also, when she spoke to the husbando copy, he was confused, just like she was. the copies seem to not know if they are copies, and are so perfect, that a team of extra terrestrial super scientists could not discern he was false with all the labs in the world.

Regarding the bear, it's purpose in the cancer symbolism is when a person dies (often) painfully from cancer, the memory of them is of the weeks/months of agony at the end. Which I feel rings pretty true having gone through that with a loved one. The survivor's have to get past that part and remember that was only a small aspect of your life, but it's a nasty and traumatic part and the last one so it is a prominent memory after you are gone.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Art8Amu.png

oc

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users