Any hope for this painting?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Got a local art guy to paint rocket and groot. He sent me this as a progress pic. Is there any hope for this? Or is this shit? Please be honest. Fee is somewhere around $500. What do you think?

• 1Hodjing
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Attached

8769B338-280E-40E2-987B-A284E54FAE08.jpeg

• 15Worf
  • 4Picard
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 21 users

iannis

Musty Nester
8ball says it's iffy.

But he could pull it out into looking pretty sweet. If you've got a selection of his other work to look at.

Progress checks are not always the best indication of the finished product. I'm just not sold on the raccoon, it's hard to see how he's going to detail that into being not shit.

But i'm no painter.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I completely agree. Rocket looks horrible. The legs and arms look “done” and it makes me want to vomit. He didn’t send me an updated pic bc he wanted to surprise me .. but I don’t want to end up in a situation where I drive to see finished product and it’s garbage and get awkwarded into paying for it. Much easier to ghost someone on text.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
8ball says it's iffy.

But he could pull it out into looking pretty sweet. If you've got a selection of his other work to look at.

Progress checks are not always the best indication of the finished product. I'm just not sold on the raccoon, it's hard to see how he's going to detail that into being not shit.

But i'm no painter.

While you are correct in many of the things you just said, that's not a good start.

Text him and ask if he feels good about the start, and if he feels there's a lot to do before done.

Don't pay for that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
A lot of that looks like base color - other works would certainly help. Just be honest with him. Grow a pair.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Got a local art guy to paint rocket and groot. He sent me this as a progress pic. Is there any hope for this? Or is this shit? Please be honest. Fee is somewhere around $500. What do you think?

Don't buy your art from 4th graders.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I could see it getting there but it would require talent.

Look - this is one of those times when you know the right thing to do and no one is hurt doing it. Man up - tell him your concerns and go from there. Waiting until he's done all the work and then saying nope is shitty. Not giving him the benefit of the doubt is also shitty. Doesn't matter if he eats paste or is Picasso. This is about you.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
No matter what, you're the fuckass if you just ghost him.

How should I address it then? What do I say? Like if rocket is done except for his gun and clothes, holy fuck terrible. What do I say??

we kind of had a thing earlier when he sent an earlier pic bc I wanted the painting to be up close of rocket and groot and he makes the whole painting groots stupid arms which look terrible.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Tell him you have concerns and ask him to provide some sort of evidence of how that can turn into something much better, like some other before/after examples from previous works

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How should I address it then? What do I say? Like if rocket is done except for his gun and clothes, holy fuck terrible. What do I say??

we kind of had a thing earlier when he sent an earlier pic bc I wanted the painting to be up close of rocket and groot and he makes the whole painting groots stupid arms which look terrible.
Tell him that you don't like the look of where it's at right now and imply that you're ready to back out. Hope he gives you an out by saying "I'll go ahead and finish it and if you like it, pay for it. If not, ill sell it". If he throws a tantrum, tell him to get ducked.

There's a lot of ways that can play out without you just fucking ghosting someone you commissioned. That's about the worst approach, imo. That's some pussy shit.