Any hope for this painting?

Rais

Trakanon Raider
lol Groot is the worst fucking part. At least you could pretend Rocket is some aspect painting. Groot has a 3-inch left arm and a fucking octopus for his right arm/hand.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Got a local art guy to paint rocket and groot.

20200811_220933.jpg

• 20Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 23 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
You havent answered one of the most fundamental questions. Did you even ask the guy for samples of his work. You know to get an idea of what this person is capable of. Because I can charge you half the price to shit on a big canvas and my Rocket and Groot would probably look way better.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You havent answered one of the most fundamental questions. Did you even ask the guy for samples of his work. You know to get an idea of what this person is capable of. Because I can charge you half the price to shit on a big canvas and my Rocket and Groot would probably look way better.

well, he works at an art camp place. He was painting some dish that looked ok. But I did not see any of his actual canvas paintings. He said “an artist can work with any medium”

• 5Worf
  • 1Blown
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
He wrote back:

This is why I didn’t want to send you another pic. I’ll just gesso it and you can have your canvas back. I’ve already put more time into this than what I’m charging you for. You’re welcome to see it in person to look at the painting. You can let me know whether you’d like me to continue on or gesso over it.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Defensive off the bat means he knows it's a shitshow and probably got his start in art by eating crayons.
"I've probably put more time in this than what I'm charging you for." Bitch better have been painting with his eyelashes for 5 months solid for this to even approach being true.

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Sorry man, this is all on you for not looking at completed samples up front. I've commissioned pieces before and either had a good idea what I'd be getting up front in terms of style or adjusted my expectations accordingly. And this is just for small pieces for $60-$100 range. You'd bet your ass I'd be researching before dropping $500 on a bigger piece like that.

Eat the $500 as agreed to, thank him for his time and move on.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Pay the guy but leave it in a garbage can that he can see out his window.

• 11Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 12 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’d gesso it and give him $50-$100 for his time. No way I’d do $500. He said he could do something that he obviously couldn’t. I wouldn’t even call you a dick for giving him nothing, but maybe just let him keep the canvas, suggest he finish it and try selling it elsewhere?

Good story overall thanks for sharing. Also Bandwagon Bandwagon agreed to print that other one for you for $250. Since he would be the asshole for backing out I suggest holding him to that price, at the original size, on brushed aluminum.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
LOL at commissioning a painting of marvel characters.

youre an idiot

• 6Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Regarding the painting and paying for it: I showed him pics of what I was wanting, like this

d7zhwdd-0fe70abb-4648-4993-8d6c-df7e2a586715.jpg
instagram-photo-save_1000000373.jpg
marvel-rocket-and-groot-seeing-in-the-dark-christopher-clark.jpg
marvel-rocket-and-groot-christopher-clark.jpg

So he said that he didn't want to rip off an artist, so what he ended up doing was finding some nerd statue thing of rocket on groot, then he took a pic of it at that angle and started with that. he had sent me an earlier progress pic which I thought was bad too, and I told him I had concerns about the framing of the picture, and that I wanted the pic ot be about rocket and groot, close up and intimate like these pics, but that the pic was all about groots weird long arm and the amputated other arm. He said how it was going to look fine, etc. So I kind of see it as I expressed what I wanted, he did what he wanted, and it came out like shit. The canvas itself is worth about $200 (it's 5 feet tall, six feet wide, deep gallery canvas). I like the idea of if he genuinely thinks his work is good let him finish it and sell it elsewhere, or he can gesso the canvas and keep it.

The canvas itself I got from another artist who is well known and does great work, and I had them do something and when they delivered it was horrid. So he actually gessoed over that painting. Maybe the canvas is cursed, but I can't pay twice for shitty artwork.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The canvas itself is worth about $200 (it's 5 feet tall, six feet wide, deep gallery canvas). I like the idea of if he genuinely thinks his work is good let him finish it and sell it elsewhere, or he can gesso the canvas and keep it.
STOP trying to justify your fuck up of not seeing his portfolio, and just commissioning him based off his fucking pottery painting

that garbage is never going to look good, pay him for time and materials and break away.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I’d gesso it and give him $50-$100 for his time. No way I’d do $500. He said he could do something that he obviously couldn’t. I wouldn’t even call you a dick for giving him nothing, but maybe just let him keep the canvas, suggest he finish it and try selling it elsewhere?

Good story overall thanks for sharing. Also Bandwagon Bandwagon agreed to print that other one for you for $250. Since he would be the asshole for backing out I suggest holding him to that price, at the original size, on brushed aluminum.
Fuck that. I have a plotter at work. I was going to split it into 2 pages and tape them together with duct tape.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It's for a movie room man! I wanted badass custom artwork!

you should get him to reuse the canvas and paint a handful of twenty dollar bills being lit on fire

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users