Anyone a Comic Book collector? (Need insight)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
First, let me provide some background. My father and I have travelled the eastern United States going to card shows and collecting sports cards and memorabilia. We were and are sports nuts and my Dad always felt that it was better to invest in something you enjoy collecting that throwing in a bank while it boringly accrued a small amount of interest.

Anyway, I have two sons now and sports memorabilia is essentially worthless. We have some things that are dear to us but we are essentially looking to liquidate and reinvest. We are looking at investing into comics. We love that as well and my kids love it plus its big to them right now with all the movies and TV shows going. I was essentially looking to do the same with my kids as my Dad with me but while I know a lot about the characters and storylines, I know very little about collecting comic books.

I was curious if there was a few brains I could pick here on the boards?

Sterling

El Presidente
Comics in general had the same problems as sports cards did in the mid/late 80s through the 90s. Everything was wildly popular and massively printed and people actually kept their stuff in good condition for the most part so everything is mostly worthless from that time. The one area that does have some value is highly graded books. Like 9.2+ graded books can be worth some money, but honestly I feel like that's a bubble that can burst at any time really, since there could easily be a huge quantity of a lot of these books that just haven't actually been graded yet.

I guess the moral of the story is you can't really look at comics as an investment, unless you're talking Silver/Golden Age stuff or graded stuff and that stuff is quite risky. If you enjoy comics and want it as something to have in common with the kids go for it. But if you think it's going to pay for your grandkid's college then you're doing it wrong.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Break the cycle and teach about compound interest instead. Comics, like sports memorabilia are not an investment/savings tool.

iannis

Musty Nester
Unfortunately you'll make better money at the bank.

Comic books aren't going to be worth much more than you bought them for ever -- but if it's something that you enjoy doing with your kid and he enjoys doing then why the hell not.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Break the cycle and teach about compound interest instead. Comics, like sports memorabilia are not an investment/savings tool.
This. Not to be offensive, but did you not learn your lesson on the sports cards?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Comics in general had the same problems as sports cards did in the mid/late 80s through the 90s. Everything was wildly popular and massively printed and people actually kept their stuff in good condition for the most part so everything is mostly worthless from that time. The one area that does have some value is highly graded books. Like 9.2+ graded books can be worth some money, but honestly I feel like that's a bubble that can burst at any time really, since there could easily be a huge quantity of a lot of these books that just haven't actually been graded yet.

I guess the moral of the story is you can't really look at comics as an investment, unless you're talking Silver/Golden Age stuff or graded stuff and that stuff is quite risky. If you enjoy comics and want it as something to have in common with the kids go for it. But if you think it's going to pay for your grandkid's college then you're doing it wrong.
That is essentially what my Dad is looking to do. He's wanting to get the Silver/Golden Age kind of stuff. Our Sport Memorabilia collection is pretty extensive and while we would love the investment aspect, it is really not a major priority. Essentially, the money invested in our Sports collectibles is nothing compared to their value today. Mainly due to, at the time, cards not being graded and value of older cards being tied to their grade.

We want the fun factor but still be in the situation to where if someone down the family line did want to sell, they could get back a comparable amount. Right now, we are going to take a decent hit on our Sports collectibles.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This. Not to be offensive, but did you not learn your lesson on the sports cards?
None taken but what we did learn is that Sports collectibles are something you really can't even get into anymore. To save themselves they created the extreme values and then everything else. You cannot casually collect for fun and at the same time get something you feel is worth something. So, if my son likes RGIII, he can get some cool collectibles but if he doesn't have a 1 of 1, signed, jersey, gold card, then anything he has is completely worth it. In my experience, the fun was having the fun, growing up, looking at the value and remembering the haggling and getting the card for X and it now being worth Y.

Comics recently went through a lot of financial analysis due to the recent sell of a Action Comics (Superman) for a million+ dollars. Apparently they have proven to be the only collectible to have held or increased their value over a larger span of time. Also, due to the digital age, printed comics are going to become more collectible in contract to cards which no one is going to just get the electronic copy.

Honestly, it is about having fun. It is hard to find card shows and get into the memorabilia due to the current culture of sports. However, thanks to Hollywood, comic book characters have more mainstream relevance.

I really didn't mean to get into any major discussion but i'm going blindly into this and our local stores and shows are no place to ask questions. If my son wants a bunch of Spider-man comics for $1 that's awesome but time to time it would be nice to sink in a couple hundred and put one back with his others so one day he can look at it and have some that are worth something.

iannis

Musty Nester
You're looking at a lot of money for the silver/golden age stuff -- and look at why they're valuable. You have retirees that are flush who read these things as children and are willing to pay ludicrous sums to recapture that.

Comic books just aren't a thing anymore. If you're looking for something like that, think about electronics instead. Try to find old in original packaging gameboys and sega handhelds. Stuff like that. If you could find some old Atari-2600 cartridges in their mint boxes... in 20 years, that's going to be the sort of thing old men with too much money are going to be looking to buy for enjoyment and neighborhood status.

Sports memorbillia holds its value better than comics do.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think you should look at this a different way. Collect things that you and your kids enjoy, not things you want to make money on. Do they like action figures? There's a huge action figure market and you could take them to stuff like comic-con and check out all the people that dress up. Magic Cards? Play with them! Sports stuff? Might be worthless, but who cares?

If you actively participate in what you and your kids can enjoy together rather than just going for comic books for money, I think you'll have a better time and your kids will think you're the coolest dad ever.

FWIW, my dad used to collect Batman toys with us in the 80's/90's when Batman was huge. I still have one of the action figures from the original Michael Keaton movie in the box that he bought me when I was a kid.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Appreciate the comments and insight guys. Again, not trying to "make" money and I am going to just get what my kids want but I am wanting to add to it.

I probably didn't articulate this earlier but I want my kids to get Spiderman actions figures, dollar comics, just whatever he wants but then I want to go get him something to put with it. So we may spend 80% of our time just collecting what he wants but I may behind the scenes kind of add a Spider #1 or his Anniversary special, etc. that way when he goes back and looks at it. He'll see everything we've done together but then he's going to notice he has some other things that are really worth holding on to. Hopefully that makes more sense.

This is why i'm needing some advice. I want to go in educated to my part of the collecting. Me and my children are going to do our thing but I want to kick in some really nice stuff to "add" to his collection. Like now, we are going through everything Avengers, Ironman, and Spiderman. He's opening some, playing with some, we are putting back some and when he decides to put it all away and store it, I would like to have some valuable stuff to put with it just for some fun. If he wants to he can sell it but hopefully it will be worth both sentimentally and in terms of value to pass down.

The fun part is easy and what we are doing but me and my Dad wand to add to it, even if he doesn't realize until years down the road.

Hopefully that clarifies my personal intent.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This is why i'm needing some advice. I want to go in educated to my part of the collecting.
Alright.

You have fond memories collecting sports memorabilia with your father and want to do something similar with your own kids? That's great. That's A+ parent stuff right there. It's your language that worries me. Your Dad always thought it was better to invest in something you enjoy collecting than throwing it in a bank and boringly collecting interest. The sports memorabilia you've accrued is worthless and you are looking to liquidate and reinvest. You are going to take a decent hit on your sports collectibles.

The simple truth is that you are not going to make any money at this and you need to scrub the entire idea that you'll have something of value down the road from your mind. You will not. All the work you put in to this, the money and the time, are going to end up in a tote at your rummage sale for pennies on the dollar. I'll walk up and start a conversation with your wife about it and we'll both have a chuckle over how foolish you were and all the money you spent. Unless she's almost giving it away (which she may be) I'll probably still not get involved. There's just no money in that crap.

But Arbitrary! There are incredibly valuable comics out there! Have you seen what a graded 9.6 first edition print of The Walking Dead #1 goes for? That's only ten years old!

Sure. There are contemporary comics with genuine value but value comes from scarcity. When everyone was setting aside factory sealed boxes of baseball cards because they are going to be worth a zillion dollars some day than none of it is ever going to have any value. Comics aren't any different and you hopping into comics now because of the popularity of the films is you entering in to a market at a terrible time. You are doing the same thing with your kids that a whole bunch of other fathers are doing with their kids. I want to specifically quote this -

Essentially, the money invested in our Sports collectibles is nothing compared to their value today.Mainly due to, at the time, cards not being graded and value of older cards being tied to their grade.
So what you are going to do is have everything that you think is important graded. You learned your lesson. Grading, that's the ticket! But there is a problem. Gradingisthe hot thing and its only getting hotter. Board and bag? You might as well burn it. Just like those factored sealed boxes of yore so goes graded comics.

And I'm not trying to be mean here. I buy and sell everything and anything from high end antiques to Martha Stewart cookie cutters. It's what I do for a living. I just don't like it when I see people get hornswaggled by beanie babies or trading cards or any of that stuff because they believe it to be something that it is not. I hope you and your kids have all kinds of crazy fun collecting comic books and going to conventions and going to the movies and everything. I'm just trying to splash a little cold water on you and your plans for the future.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I guess i'm looking more into the collecting culture now in regards to cards (and maybe my ignorance has led me to believe comics may be different but again, the comic route was more driven more from my son than my market assessment).

Due to the current state of cards and sports, the atmosphere is no longer there. As I said earlier, we went from having 1-2 shows a month here to 0. I mean all year 0. I can drive 2.5 hours and they are still having them monthly but the dynamic of collectible cards and even memorabilia has greatly shifted. I guess, in my eyes, the culture of collecting comics has been more consistent and there are more opportunities. I probably wouldn't be so gloom and doom on my own collection if I could pick 1 Saturday out of the month and drive 10 minutes down the road and go to shows and network with other collectors. However, comic books and that group of people are still going and the books are still moving. At my job, the guy next to me as went to 3 comic-cons in a month an a half close to where we live. Met Stan Lee at one and had things signed. My dad, oldest son, and I are going to a relatively large sporting event and going to spend 3-4 days with the UK Wildcats, its something my family has been involved in for 13 years now and we'll get some cool stuff out of that but mainly we just love the atmosphere.

All in all, I wanted to get into a scene that looks more vibrant and fruitful and wanted to use want I had as some seed money to get started. Hence why I wanted to ask some questions. Maybe that further clarifies. Maybe it's my area, maybe its my ignorance of comics (it could be in the same shape) but if my son wants to go to a show and pick out some stuff and meet some people in regards to sports we can go maybe 2 times a year. However, I can just about go to a comic, science fiction, etc. every other week.

I don't want to further invest by grading my stuff if I can find someone who would like to take my collection, put a little money into by grading it, and add it to their own or resale it so I can get a little money and let my sons take off into the things they want. I just wanted intelligently go into this new venture.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
First, let me provide some background. My father and I have travelled the eastern United States going to card shows and collecting sports cards and memorabilia. We were and are sports nuts and my Dad always felt that it was better to invest in something you enjoy collecting that throwing in a bank while it boringly accrued a small amount of interest.

Anyway, I have two sons now and sports memorabilia is essentially worthless. We have some things that are dear to us but we are essentially looking to liquidate and reinvest. We are looking at investing into comics. We love that as well and my kids love it plus its big to them right now with all the movies and TV shows going. I was essentially looking to do the same with my kids as my Dad with me but while I know a lot about the characters and storylines, I know very little about collecting comic books.

I was curious if there was a few brains I could pick here on the boards?
As someone whose collected since the 70's, don't do it. The market has cratered. I have more longboxes than most, and a lot of the issues are no longer worth the time to take to sell. A lot of the cost in these issues was the cost to search, and the Internet has obliterated that.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

This man knows his shit.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Again, I appreciate everyone's comments and responses. I think we are still going to attempt to piece out a lot our sports collection to give us a little money to take my sons to some shows and let them spend some stuff. I think Dad and I are going buy them some more collectible ones to throw back for the heck of it. It is ultimately for fun but we just cannot find the opportunities as we once did for sport collectibles. Part of it also being part of the hype. Let's face it, with Marvel's movies and The Walking Dead, it's easy for kids to jump on the bandwagon and want to be apart of it Just as I did in the 80's and 90's with sports.

I guess our collection did what it was meant to do. It's going to continue on the tradition but just take different shape. I'll go to the Comic post listed above and ask a few questions.

My Dad is already talking about San Diego Comic-Con and attending a few shows locally just to take me and kids. Should be fun.

Thanks again!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Honestly I think you are looking at this all wrong. You are trying to recreate for your son an experience you shared with your father - which is great. But you need to step back and look at the larger scene. You're focused on collectables because that's what you did with your father, but everything you are saying is telling me you really just want an activity/culture the 3 of you can share together. Whether that's collecting comics, cards, racing RC cars or planes, or joining the SCA or becoming a Renny, or getting involved with the Boy Scouts, or any of many different activities that enjoy an active subculture. Perhaps you should consider this along with what interests your son has /shrug

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I'll sell you a death of Superman issue, still in its bag, for half a donut.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I think you are looking at this all wrong. You are trying to recreate for your son an experience you shared with your father - which is great. But you need to step back and look at the larger scene. You're focused on collectables because that's what you did with your father, but everything you are saying is telling me you really just want an activity/culture the 3 of you can share together. Whether that's collecting comics, cards, racing RC cars or planes, or joining the SCA or becoming a Renny, or getting involved with the Boy Scouts, or any of many different activities that enjoy an active subculture. Perhaps you should consider this along with what interests your son has /shrug
The comic / super-hero stuff is his interests. I may have spoken too much on my behalf because I was trying to justify it by my own investigation. It is really the only reason i'm considering it. You have no idea how much my house is Avengers, Ironman, Captain America, etc. He's in full costume all the time. I guess, we went to a few shows and it really began when we went to Free Comic Book Day it all started. I took him so he could see some costume heroes and some celebrities and then he began seeing people actually get comics.

Again, because I feel my collection could be better used to support what my sons want to do. Essentially my sports collection is sitting there losing money. The memories are worth far more than the cards so I was going to sell them out and reinvest. Please do not take investment too literal but i'm looking to place my money somewhere else that would matter to me more.

I can keep my collection and just start fresh with my son but my Dad or I want to keep it and we would rather give my son money to get a few things he wants in addition to a few things my Dad and I could add to his collection.

Sterling

El Presidente
That's all fine, I just think people are hung up on you calling this stuff an investment. It can be a fun shared activiity but it's not something that is likely to make you any money. If your kid just loves Spiderman and you can get him a truckload of backissues for 50 cents or a buck apiece that's cool, but realize there's a reason they're 50 cents and 20 years from now they'll still be worthless. If you go and get him an Amazing Fantasy 15 thats CGC graded 9.8, well that's going to be worth something I suppose, but that's an exception not how the industry works in general. As someone mentioned earlier about death of Superman, and any other number of comics that used to be worth a lot of money, people realized eventually that there's a million copies out there and most of them are in very good condition since everyone takes care of their shit now. Back in the 60s nobody cared so most of that stuff is ragged now, so finding a EXNM copy of prime Silver Age comics is a pretty big deal, while there's literally infinity NM copies of New Mutants 98 or Uncanny Xmen 266.