Anyone know any good attorneys ....

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
The only one I know in that area would need a few million retainer
frown.png
Good luck with getting out of that $50,000 phone bill for torrenting blue rays over a wifi hotspot.

yeah, bummer about the cost.

It's not anything cool like torrenting blue rays, or watching the FSR thread. It's more like they (a certain phone company) published our "unlisted" information, making it easy for a scumbag to find my young daughter.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I may be willing to represent you for free Refresh, but you'd need to provide me with more details concerning the two cases. You can either divulge the information publicly (this thread, the preferred method) or send me a PM and we can set up an office meeting.

Because when I called and asked them, they admitted to me that the person who fulfilled the order a year ago forgot to mark it as non-pub/non-list. It showed up in dex and whitepages.com, and the dipshit found it through there.

So you want to sue for what damages?
That's what I want to find out by talking to a attorney. Is there a case? Can damages be had? Basically, in my uneducated opinion, this provider allowed a known stalker/harasser to make contact with my family through ineptitude.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Were they actually charging you the extra fee? You could sue to get your $42 a year or whatever back... But it sounds like you weren't being charged. They explain its an extra fee to be unpublished, so if you didn't see that extra fee on your bill why didn't you follow up? How was the request for the service made? How would the person you talk to even know what another employee 'forgot' to do over a year ago? They 'probably' forgot would be more likely. How can you prove that you made the request to be unlisted? If you want to get rewarded for civil damages, you would most likely need to show that they knew why you wanted the number unlisted. Good luck trying to subpoena a phone recording if you made the request over the phone... IMNAL =p

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, basically the worst thing that came of it is that you have to change your number and maybe you paid a fee for a service you didn't receive (which they will probably refund anyway if you ask). Unless you are going to try to claim that your daughter has received a lot of mental anguish and now needs years of expensive therapy because this dude called her (good luck) I don't see where you have any damages to sue over that would add up to more than 1 hour of lawyer time.

Yeah, there's more to it than that. It has actually been about a three year gyration. The phone company knew why the number was being changed (the person I spoke with on Monday saw this in the history of the number).

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You have to show negligence AND damages to sue though.

Good to know. These are some of things that I was trying to contact an attorney to find out. Your input is appreciated, and thanks for saving me some cash.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's probably obvious, but I feel the need to point out now that I am not a professional law talking guy and I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You have to show negligence AND damages to sue though.
Negligence - them screwing up the non list request.
Damages - his kid being emotionally scarred by some creepo.

That's what happened right? Meh, I gotta go back and read the scenario.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can't just say "I'm mentally scarred, give me money" though. There has to be some evidence that you are due some cash. If you can convince a therapist to say that her life has been notably impacted or that she is unable to hold a job or something then you might be getting somewhere but I think you have to do better than you got a phone call that you didn't want to get.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's what I want to find out by talking to a attorney. Is there a case? Can damages be had? Basically, in my uneducated opinion, this provider allowed a known stalker/harasser to make contact with my family through ineptitude.
Why don't you let the known stalker make contact with 9mm hollow points?