Apartment Woes

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'd flat out move as soon as you can, not pay them another dime and dare them to sue you given the environmental and health condition. Get someone in there to give you a written opinion that it's unsafe to live there, rent a new place, give the apt notice in writing that you are terminating your lease due to uninhabitability, and move.

They might try to stick it on your credit report that you broke a lease and you'll have to deal with that, but this is pretty bad.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well "deal with it or move out" seems like a free pass to break the lease and move out to me.

Although by the time you deal with finding a new place, signing a new lease, coming up with another security deposit and possibly first and last month's rent just to move in and then the hassle of actually moving the smell would probably be gone.

Most places aren't going to let you move in until the 1st of any given month anyway.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You could look into an ozone generator? I have read about cat people using them to eliminate smells when they are too lazy to clean up after their beasts.

Should probably use temporarily though as I am now reading they can have health concerns.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Murder some animals/gather poop and stick it down his chimney/laundry vent/hvac/etc.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Question, and I don't know what other forum to ask it on: What's a good site for apartment-finding? I need to look for one and there are a million sites like this. I saw a screenshot of a map somewhere on these forums recently that showed all of the available apartments for rent in an area and their prices (good way to check property values in an area). Didn't ask what it was from and can't find it now to ask. Something like that would be hugely helpful though. Looking for something in New Hampshire if that helps.

TXjohnny

<Bronze Donator>
Zillow.com and realtor.com are pretty popular. You can set your search parameter for the price range/building type/#bedrooms, etc. in whatever zip code you want with the results displayed on a map that sounds like what you saw.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Starting about 4 weeks ago, my wife and I started to notice a certain spot of the floor in our bedroom starting to "sag" a little bit. Almost like a divot in the floor/carpet, roughly the size of a small shoebox. I thought it was a bit abnormal, but didn't pay it much attention, since it only seemed to be in the one spot. Well, about 2 weeks go by and we start noticing a few more, smaller in size, but they've also started to crop up in the hallway/living room. Naturally, I called the office/management company and let them know. They said that it may just be the carpet getting old, but they'll send somebody out to look at it.

Well, about a week goes by, nobody shows up, and now the apartment reeks like sewage. I call again, this time more pissed off, letting them know that it's obviously some sort of water damage/rot/sewer leak and that they need to send somebodytoday. Around 6pm that day (Tuesday), the maintenance "supervisor" shows up. He immediately notices the smell, takes a look in the bedroom, and concludes that it's possible a beam may have shifted. He searches the apartment for a bit to try and find crawlspace access, but there isn't one. He explains to us that they'll have somebody show up to investigate no later than Thursday, but they'll need permission to enter in case they have to start pumping water, or anything else serious, but not to worry, because they'll put us in a hotel if the damage is extensive. He then takes a look around the grounds, finds the crawlspace, but says that he'll need a key to get access.

Needless to say, Thursday comes and goes and I don't hear a word from anybody at the management company, the maintenance supervisor, or anyone else. I text the maintenance supervisor asking him what the hell the deal is and he says he wasn't able to get the key, because he "e-mailed" the management company and they hadn't responded yet. However, he'll be here on Saturday (today) to take a look at it by not later than 11AM. Well, it's now 1pm and once again I've heard nothing from him, nor anyone else. Needless to say, this mess is frustrating as fuck and I'm really curious what my legal options are at this point. I guess they'll take it serious once the foundation collapses, but I don't want to wait around for that. I know the obvious answer is, "just move". The thing is, not only is moving a huge hassle that I don't want to deal with, I'm sick of renting companies treating tenants like absolute garbage. Does anyone have any experience dealing with a similar situation that could offer some advice?
WOAH HOLD UO. Kirun Kirun you had a wife? Are you divorced? Wtf?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Question, and I don't know what other forum to ask it on: What's a good site for apartment-finding? I need to look for one and there are a million sites like this. I saw a screenshot of a map somewhere on these forums recently that showed all of the available apartments for rent in an area and their prices (good way to check property values in an area). Didn't ask what it was from and can't find it now to ask. Something like that would be hugely helpful though. Looking for something in New Hampshire if that helps.
Craigslist

• 1Picard

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
zzillow for everything
c79786ad04e54d3ebfc0b97180c68715.png

hotpads used to be the goto apt finder, but since zillow bought them anyway and they use the same listings, just use zillow since you'll use it to buy a house eventually

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
WOAH HOLD UO. Kirun Kirun you had a wife? Are you divorced? Wtf?
Annulled, but yeah. I was 27 and dumb as shit. We got hitched pretty quick. Found out she had a criminal record from being a raging alcoholic before we met.

• 1Worf

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Firebrand in the sack then, eh?

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
zzillow for everything
c79786ad04e54d3ebfc0b97180c68715.png

hotpads used to be the goto apt finder, but since zillow bought them anyway and they use the same listings, just use zillow since you'll use it to buy a house eventually

Yeah Zillow will work. Now I can fish through all of the apartment listings in the northeast and see how wildly fucking overpriced everything is. Looking into like northern New Hampshire to get away from exorbitant rent. I'd rather live closer to Boston, but c'est la vie as it were.

Could probably just mortgage a house at this point and pay less per month than apartments cost. Maybe if my Shiba Inu moons.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
NH has Massachusetts prices anywhere south of Conway these days. good luck.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Annulled, but yeah. I was 27 and dumb as shit. We got hitched pretty quick. Found out she had a criminal record from being a raging alcoholic before we met.
Hold up now. Is there a thread that covers this? Sounds like a good story. What was her criminal record? Was she stealing drugs?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Hold up now. Is there a thread that covers this? Sounds like a good story. What was her criminal record? Was she stealing drugs?
No real story, not much to tell.

I wasn't in a super great place around 2012/2013, met a chick, we date about 4 months, get married, I find out about 8 months later that she has a DUI record and I bailed.

• 1Trump
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
NH has Massachusetts prices anywhere south of Conway these days. good luck.

Any suggestions on the Northeast for lower rent prices while also being somewhat close to airports and so forth?

Maybe Rhode Island? Maine? Worst-case scenario, Vermont?

I've always liked upstate New York too. Never been there but I spent a lot of time in North Adams, MA a while back and if you go up on Mt. Greylock there's an incredible view of New York and all the mountains there, like the Catskills etc.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Any suggestions on the Northeast for lower rent prices while also being somewhat close to airports and so forth?

Maybe Rhode Island? Maine? Worst-case scenario, Vermont?

I've always liked upstate New York too. Never been there but I spent a lot of time in North Adams, MA a while back and if you go up on Mt. Greylock there's an incredible view of New York and all the mountains there, like the Catskills etc.

Keep in mind this is very specific to where I'm living. I don't know shit about Conneticut. Anything in the 195 corridor is going to have prices comparable to the outskirts of boston metro. 1200 has become the generic price point for a 2-to-3 bedroom apartment in the poorer places. It's more like 1300-1500 as the starter elsewhere, like the commuter towns and burbs, especially if you're living in one of the new complexes they've thrown up all along 95/195 to court the Boston commuters.

You might get a smaller/shittier apartment for 1000-1200 in some of the lower income areas. 600-850 a month is what you can expect to get charged for having a single room/studio with shared spaces, though the lower end is in real rat holes like New Bedford, Fall River, E Providence. This is all related to apartments you can find in the larger cities. In the smaller and more rural towns there are less available apartments, less complexes, sometimes completely nonexistent in the rich white enclaves on the coast--unless you're talking a place like Newport RI, which has plenty of apartments with most of the non-shitholes being in the 1800-2200 range. There's houses where they're unironically asking for 3k a month for a 2-bedroom in a triple decker houses built in 1910 and never upgraded.

The further away you get from the highway, shit changes, but it's all contingent on which direction you're going. Don't bother looking for anything affordable on the Cape, it's simply not going to happen. West and North of Boston are the commuter communities where its overpriced 5-to-1 box apartments and not much else. If its on the coast you will pay more.