Apple announces new Mac Pro with a $5K monitor and a $1K monitor stand

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Apple’s top spec Mac Pro will likely cost at least $35,000

Apple announced today that its new Mac Pro starts at an already pricey $6,000, but the company neglected to mention how much the top-of-the-line model will cost. So we shopped around for equivalent parts to the top-end spec that Apple’s promising. As it turns out: $33,720.88 is likely the bare minimum — and that’s before factoring in the four GPUs, which could easily jack that price up to around $45,000..

Apple’s $1,000 Pro Display XDR stand is the most expensive dongle ever

Apple just announced its latest pro-level monitor: the $4,999 6K Pro Display XDR. According to Apple’s official technical spec page for the Pro Display XDR, included in the box with the new $4,999 monitor will be a power cord, a Thunderbolt 3 Pro cable, and a polishing cloth. Conspicuously missing is any form of a stand.

While Apple announced onstage that the nifty magnetically attached Pro Stand — which allows the screen to tilt, angle, and even rotate from landscape to portrait modes — would be sold separately for an extra $999, the company didn’t mention that it (along with the $199 VESA mount adapter, which will require you to buy another third-party stand) are the only stand options for the Pro Display XDR. Despite the fact that the name implies some sort of “Amateur Stand” option that lacks the fancy tricks or “precise mechanism in the arm [that] counterbalances the display” of the Pro Stand, that doesn’t appear to be the case.

That leaves the Pro Stand as a $999 device that’s crucial to the basic setup and use of the (already expensive) monitor it’s designed for. That also means customers will have to shell out extra money if they want to use the device at all. In other words: Apple may have just announced the priciest dongle of all time...

Such value

• 2Barf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
bitches aren't even trying anymore

jfc, 30bucks for https://www.amazon.com/North-Bayou-Monitor-Computer-14-3lbs/dp/B01AI2YGK4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=north+bayou+mount&qid=1559650305&s=gateway&sr=8-2 ]NB North Bayou Monitor Desk Mount Stand Full Motion Swivel Monitor Arm Gas Spring for 17''-27'' Computer Monitor from 4.4lbs to 14.3lbs[/url]

like the best monitor mount ive ever had for like 1/10th the price of an ergotron 10years ago. I recently bought a wall mount version to mount a fucking movable vanity mirror for my wife, she loves it, and it makes look fucking handy as fuck!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm not sucking Apple's dick, but I interpreted the whole point of the monitor is that you can spend $6000 on the Apple setup and get a monitor that's EXTREMELY comparable to a $43,000 professional monitor. They are not targeting us, playing WoW, with this monitor.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That’s the impression I get too. This isn’t for your average joe. It’s for mainline professionals, editing, and for those needing something powerful enough to cut special effects into avengers or something. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I'm not sure where this fits in, it's not suitable for designers, photographers audio engineers etc as it's total overkill and is very pricey. For post production, sure, but that's a tiny market segment and there's already lots of high end boxes and monitors available cheaper and have been for years.

It's fucking expensive i'll say that for it and no doubt apple fanboys will buy them just to watch youtube on.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Linus's video has it unmuted.

The speaker stammers when the crowd gives the wtf gasp.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
QUOTE="Utnayan, post: 2844684, member: 1110"]
So are they targeting the professional film market? Not sure what they use today for compute.
[/QUOTE]
At disney animation they pay for compute/render time on AWS.

Not sure about the actual hardware they use to animate etc. Friend of mine works over there, will see if he knows

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Linus's video has it unmuted.

The speaker stammers when the crowd gives the wtf gasp.

"Why does apple keep raising the price?!?!"

"So...we're going to buy one.."

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Easy choice when the review video he'll do on it will give him more internetz moneys in return.

I understand that completely, but he would get WAAAY more money making a video on basically baiting people into clicking and then talking about how it was a rip-off and they didn't buy one, instead they did X with that money.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
What's the point of spending $1000 on an apple accessory that is not mobile. People i don't even like and pretend i don't care about wont be able to see me use it !!

dizzie

Triggered Happy
For those complaining about the monitor, it's meant to compete with these: Pro Monitors
~$15,000-$25,000 monitors.

$1k for a stand sounds stupid, but the production industry also overpays for everything, just look at the Red store: RED Digital Cinema | 8K & 5K Professional Cameras
The accessories page specifically:
Category: -Rigs--AND--Support, Mounting

Post production companies don't overpay for everything, the margins are tight for small/mediium outfits. If they overpaid for everything their wouldn't be dedicated server farms operating specifically for the film industry, they'd be rendering everything in house on 4k+ cores.

Like anything creative, it's a very competitive industry so every penny counts.