Apple/Mac Thread

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Ya I hate going in, only when I have too. Of which has been limited, thankfully.
Staff is friendly, I hate all the zombies in the store, its chaos. The stores might have had that cool edge at some point but now just a pin striped suit in a forgone era. Could be just the sheer amount of ppl in it now? Was never a fan.

My local store sucks, went to another store some distance out....they seemed to have sucked more. Cant win, sigh...

MacRumors notes that 2011 MacBook Pro owners have complained about video issues for years now, creating a Change.org petition that racked up more than 38,000 signatures in support. Some MacBook owners even filed a class-action suit against Apple, alleging that problems with the AMD graphics chips—specifically the lead-free solder that connectes the GPU to the MacBook’s logic board—were responsible for video problems and system failures.

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues - Apple Support
Apple is contacting customers who paid for a repair either through Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to arrange reimbursement. If you have not been contacted, but paid for a repair that you think was due to this issue, please contact Apple.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the MacBook Pro.

The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until December 31, 2016 or four years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone got a MacBook up to video editing standards and/or a connection for a cheap deal on one? Have a friend that's looking to get one with an interesting proposition to pass off if anyone is game I can hook you up with details.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
If you've got access to a .edu email, I think Best Buy is doing $150 off all Macbooks and maybe a free pair of beats?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For example, kid who jailbreaks his phone, can't figure out recovery mode...gotta send him to the store and do it for him.

People who do this should be laughed at and told to fuck off. It's too bad it would be bad for business to do so.

I really appreciated the days that you had to put your iPhone in DFU in order to jailbreak. It weeded out the morons fairly efficiently. If you couldn't DFU, jailbreaking was impossible for you, and it was easy to tell who wasn't ready for the process by looking at the number of people asking "how do DFU werk, derp".

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
And speaking of iPhone, the rumours for the 7 look completely underwhelming, and the focus seems to be on new design and features for the 8 instead. I'm gonna have to wait another year or two to replace my (somewhat broken) 6+? Really?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I'm most likely not upgrading this year (using a 6+ atm) unless it absolutely blows me away. Given that next year is the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, I don't think it's going to be a normal "S" year.

Hopefully the rumor of 32GB becoming baseline is true.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I genuinely don't see what the holdouts are doing sticking with Apple. It is by far and away the inferior product and has been for years now. Let me start by saying I have zero brand loyalty. I have owned iPhones in the past! Apple used to be innovative as fuck and had an amazing product. The iPhone was revolutionary at one time, but over the years Apple has seemed to change its mantra to take existing tech and try and perfect it vs being any sort of innovator.

There are features that have been out for YEARS in other phones and Apple is still rumoring to add some of these features in future products. Never mind the fact, this shit has been out for the last 2 or 3 generations of Samsung Galaxy phones. Whether it is OLED screens, wireless Qi charging, waterproofing, removable storage, fast charging, ...you name it. Apple still doesn't have this stuff. When the features eventually trickles into an iPhone, the users act like it was some brilliant revolution in tech but Apple is honestly years late to the party.

I genuinely don't get it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Aside from needing one for work, even if it was just my personal phone I'd stick with Apple. It would be nice if (and really, like you said "when") Apple gets around to adding them, but none of those are must haves for me. The most important thing is if the phone breaks, I can go into a store and have it swapped within 10-20 minutes.

I also don't spend a ton of time on my phone anyway outside of work and hearthstone so as long as it can do those two things, I'm good. Then again, I'm also weird and actually like my Apple Watch :D

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's one of those things you dont realize what you are missing until you have it. I can't imagine living without wireless charging and adaptive fast charging anymore.

Understand that people like simplicity though.

Vaclav

It's one of those things you dont realize what you are missing until you have it. I can't imagine living without wireless charging and adaptive fast charging anymore.

Understand that people like simplicity though.

Honestly I think it comes down to how willing someone is willing to "shop around". Apples/Macs you really don't need to fuss over all the details. Android/PC you really do.

I don't mind the shopping around, and for anyone willing to make the effort in shopping around I think you'll always be better suited with Android/PC - but for those that just want to say "Hey, I want a computer" and they don't want to have to worry about anything beyond it working, barring gaming, it's a nobrainer to send them Apple's way. Less bang for the buck but more idiotproof. Lots of land mines in the Android/PC world for those that aren't as versed in the universe of tech.

Now when I see techies that actually cling to Apple - that's when I get confused. But they've been a rare breed in my experience.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
computer os I like, mobile I am meh.
I have found on avg battery life is better and any new app of anything is on it, but honestly its just something better than a flip phone for the family. I havent noticed if any app for one mobile is any different than another, all seem the same but might run differently. I just need the thing to work for 2 year until the upgrade will allow for a replacement.
I see co-workers tethered to power all day long with different mobiles, even if I have pandora going for more than 10hrs I noticed it gets very low but not sure if that was part non-signal or just running the app. Was in the basement so questionable, scanning will kill battery on any phone.

App wise, if it aint free or something I really need for board gaming or oddball coding/etc things, I wont grab it. Dont have the 6+/iPad (larger screen) so the limited screen size just makes me wish I was on the puter. Easier to wait till I get home.

I live about 5years or more behind the world in tech, it will probably be 2020 before I get 4k anything. Watched friends get into the tech loop. They got the DVD, needed flatscreen LCD, then wanted the HDDVD, prompted 720 then 1080, BR then 3d, next up 4k. Crap adds up quick. Same with the sound, its at what now 121:5 Dolby? Doesnt matter, bet I will still have to play volume jockey when watching The Matrix....up/down, up/down.

AckbarStanding.jpg

Vaclav

Music apps drain like 5% an hour on my S7 Edge (w/ screen on at that) - big batteries rule!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Apple fucking makes me rage. It's the only "store" that makes me feel like I'm doing them a fucking favor by buying something. Any other store that you walk into with money in hand, you're at the cash register and done in under five minutes. Want something at the Apple Store, even if you know *exactly* what the you want? Get fucked and wait-- expect to go through 30 minutes of bullshit so you can buy something. Time to queue up for a neckbeard Apple barista so he can make sure you're not like all the other mentally deficient Apple consumers, and you actually *really* know what you want (while fending off stupid mom level questions and pushes to upgrade). Then, when you finally convince said neckbeard that "YES I REALLY DO WANT AN IPAD MINI 64GB, NOT AN IPAD PRO. NO I DON'T NEED CELLULAR OR APPLECARE THANKS!" you then get passed off to the register "queue", where you wait an inordinate amount of time for the luxury of paying for said item.

I hope BLM burns all the Apple stores to the ground.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Have you tried using the Apple store app inside the store? You can purchase whatever you want via the app and just grab it off the shelf (exception being macs/iphones, not sure the process with that...i think it's the same as in store pickup. You buy it, tell someone in a blue shirt and they bring it to you) and walk out.

I spent a month at a retail store to see how that side of the company worked, had no idea customers could do that.

edit: there is a lot of internal buttmad at the VP of retail. she's not terribly popular.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Ya, didnt apple just boot the Retail Store exec? Heard something not long ago about that. Think the last exec went to JCPenny and got booted from there? Old JCPenny exec from Macy's helped out to clean up that mess.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Have you tried using the Apple store app inside the store? You can purchase whatever you want via the app and just grab it off the shelf (exception being macs/iphones, not sure the process with that...i think it's the same as in store pickup. You buy it, tell someone in a blue shirt and they bring it to you) and walk out.

I spent a month at a retail store to see how that side of the company worked, had no idea customers could do that.

edit: there is a lot of internal buttmad at the VP of retail. she's not terribly popular.

I can no longer be bothered to hate on Apple anymore, but if the best way to just buy what you want at a retail store is to order it online as an in store pickup, that pretty fucked up.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
The in-store app thing is kinda neat, but it does create missed opportunities for the retail guys to talk to people and potentially get someone to buy additional items, "enhance their experiance", etc, etc.

Ahrendts doesn't like the idea of people lining up for product launches, wants to turn Apple store's into "hangout spots" (lol?) and a lot of other unpopular ideas. She's at the root of the push for people to order online. If I'm remembering correctly, the new Macbook wasn't even available in stores for like a month after they were released.

She did something stupid with the Watch as well...I think it was something along the lines of you could set an appointment to check out the Watch in store, but you couldnt actually buy it unless you went online.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Whether it is OLED screens, wireless Qi charging, waterproofing, removable storage, fast charging, ...you name it. Apple still doesn't have this stuff.

I genuinely don't get it.

None of those things really seem interesting to me though. Pretty much all I do with my phone these days is check stocks, text, read work email and take pictures. I have a charger on my desk so my phone sits at 100% most of the day and is barely ever below 50%. Every time someone hands me an android I despise the 17 context menus and complication. Seems to me if you do more than the basics with your phone, then android offers superior customization, superior hardware if you shop around, features, etc. However Apple offers the simple "just works" phone for those of us that don't really do shit with it. I want a good camera, I like imessage (so I can text on my computer most of the day) and I like the fact that I pretty much haven't had to dick with anything phone-related since like 2011. I just buy a new one every 2 years and my backup goes right on the new phone and I don't even have to fix settings.

Granted last time I had an android I had an HTC EVO 4g WiMax so that was a long fucking time ago. But I do not want to deal with boot loaders, ROMs, silent installing apk's, blah blah blah.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
iPhone 7 is looking like a dud if the rumours pan out. Guess I'm waiting for the 8. Damnit, why are they so slow to implement years-old technology?