Apt Pupil (1998)

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Apt Pupil (1998)

Tagline: If you don't believe in the existence of evil, you've got a lot to learn.

Genre: Drama, Thriller

Director: Bryan Singer

Cast: Ian McKellen, Brad Renfro, David Schwimmer, Bruce Davison, Ann Dowd, Elias Koteas, Joe Morton, Jan Tříska, Joshua Jackson, Mickey Cottrell, Michael Reid MacKay, James Karen, Marjorie Lovett, David Cooley, Blake Anthony Tibbetts, Heather McComb, Katherine Malone, Grace Sinden

Release: 1998-10-23

Runtime: 107

Plot: Neighborhood boy Todd Bowden discovers that an old man living on his block named Arthur Denker is nazi war criminal. Bowden confronts Denker and offers him a deal: Bowden will not go to the authorities if Denker tells him stories of the concentration camps in WWII...

Last edited by a moderator:
[/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

this is a weird, multi-layered, post-John Waters, kind of rude, film about Nazism.

Watched it 3 times past few days cuz I'm thinking of using it for a film group I'm in. It is a much stranger film than it appears at first glance.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
one of the few stephen king adaptions i havent seen from start to finish. the parts i did see didnt look like they got the tone of the story well. dussander is basically forced to relive his nazi days by this kid who is blackmailing him and so the old guy starts giving him first hand accounts of being a nazi and doing nazi stuff. basically drives this kid crazy and in the process turns dussander from a citizen and back into a full blown nazi. good story, i didnt have the heart to watch the whole film because i didnt want them to wreck the memories of the story for me.

Anthrax even made a song about it!

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
i didnt have the heart to watch the whole film because i didnt want them to wreck the memories of the story for me.
Good choice, because this movie sucked. The plot is just a tangled string of ridiculous contrivances. I've never read the story but I can't imagine the movie is a very faithful adaptation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

I saw it in theater at the time of release. I remember being disappointed with the movie, but that might have had a lot to do with my expectations: Singer's previous film was The Usual Suspect and McKellen was known to me for his part in Loncraine's Richard III a few years prior. Let's just say Apt Pupil is not boxing in the same category as these two films.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database