Aquarists unite: fish are friends, and food

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
One month later. I think it needs tending.

IMG_20200521_210548.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
New experiment... as well as that ground cover has grown and produced an overabundance I'm seeing if I can get it to grow through a stainless steel mesh to make a cover for my filter...

IMG_20200521_171927.jpg

• 4Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
More detail in this guy's 5-6 minute videos than in most hour long programs today;

• 4Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I started using glut in my tank again and within a week my glass is basically spotless, leaves are getting very close to spotless, and already looking fuller, wider, more dense. Water column is clearer. Fish seem to be more active. I won't pretend to say it's providing carbon, but it is wiping out micro algae that allows the plants to absorb more light and take in more nutrients/co2 from the water. Shit works great.

Metricide 28, a gallon off ebay is $23-28, lasts several months (toss the small activator bottle that it comes with in the trash). 10mL every day initially, then every few days (65 gallons, probably works fine with less). I use a syringe from the baby isle (used for squirting medicine). It's effectively medical grade Seachem Excel. Don't get the shit on your hands or breathe it. Reacts quickly with algae so you can stick your hands in the water after a couple days. Doesn't kill off beneficial bacteria, because the nitrogen cycle isn't affected.

Anyone else ever used PPS Pro from Greenleaf Aquariums? That shit will make your plants take off. Macro and micro nutrient liquid dosing.

Aazrael

These are some of my GF's leftover Betta males thats not been sold yet. Not the best pictures.

20200523_142348.jpg

20200523_142450.jpg

And heres Bert, the culling machine for frys with bad genes. :p
20200523_142531.jpg

And the permanent homes for the betta males she's keeping. Only shrimps in them at the moment though as we recently installed co2 in them.
20200523_143325.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Foo the Flowerhorn's videos is what inspired me to upgrade my kids Betta tank. I think it was a YouTube recommendation that I clicked on and I fell down the rabbit hole.

Aazrael

So...umm... how do you ship those guys?

You don't find bettas like that in the fish store.
Not sure how it works if you live in the US but you can import Bettas from Thailand/Indonesia. Thats how my GF started, then from there she started breeding the imported ones. But yea shipping is the problem. It is illegal to send through the postal service and none have live transport around here (Sweden). We usally try to find people traveling through the country and have them carry the fish to the buyer for a small fee, or take them with us when we visit other cities.

I think the market is getting better everywhere with imports being an option, Koi Bettas was almost non existant a while ago here and now the market is over saturated.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
You ship em in a double bag with a lot of extra air, in a Styrofoam cooler, in a box. Usually add some meds to the water to keep them fucked up enough for transport without freaking out and dying in transit.

When I did saltwater I'd get shit shipped from all over. Only had one issue where they stuck a box full of about 100 corith snails in the shared apartment mailbox, in the large package lockbox, and the delivery service didn't update their tracking info, so it sat outside, in Texas heat, for three days. Surprisingly 50% of them were still alive.

Only problem with the delivery process, I should say. The other problems were spending $120 on a young, baby powder blue tang, and it dying a week later with no refunds kinna made me not want to do that shit again. Very roulette like with some of the more rare shit, but you'd pay around $3-500 to thousands for an adult healthy one that someone had raised locally.

b66de4d3001f3a60209d40d7889f462e.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
After not having any fish for almost 25 years (used to have a 50 gallon reef tank and a 30 gallon fresh water tank) my coworkers gifted me a beta-fish because reasons...anyways, I'm doing well taking care of him the last 4 months but even with regular water cleaning/changes in his 2 gallon tank I'm getting an algae problem. Can I get some snails in there to clean it up or will he go to town on those things?

Sludig

And a bigger tank would help. People love cramming betas intimate tiny tanks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
And a bigger tank would help. People love cramming betas intimate tiny tanks.

I wouldn't go over 10 gallons for a betta though. They are a still water fish, and wouldn't cope well with the flow needed for filtration of a larger tank.

Siliconemelons

What would make a good tank mate for a betta? If you do male+female do they just keep making babies?

Going to get a basic 10gal for the betta... it is the only survivor of one of those 3 tier waterfall beta things.