Aquarists unite: fish are friends, and food

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
IIRC , those old bulbs which WalMart carried (I used them too) were mostly in the Aponogeton family. Like this :

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
In my 36g I did 25% weekly, because I could just drain 2x 5gallon buckets, then top it off. Depends on the tank though, filtration, stock... etc

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
you taking the fish out when doing this I assume? If you have live plants how do you do a full clean?

I'm interested in getting into this but I have so many noob questions.

NeverlosT

Golden Knight of the Realm
Big things in the works. new 330g reef going against the wall in the dining room...

60375233373__FF65C5B0-2A08-4A46-BF32-324F7D851749.jpg

20200327_123748.jpg

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Been running this 6ft tank for a little over a year. Slowly transitioning to a medium-light tank, will add some harder to grow plants soon.
View attachment 264409

I love it man, it's so natural looking. I always loved those kinds of tanks but filled with like 100 neon tetras, I know that's stupid but oh well :) I think that guy Amano (whatever his name was) would do that!

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How often are you guys cleaning tanks and changing water in tanks that are 40g and above?
We try to do water changes once a week, 30-60% change. Water out and new water in. No moving fish or vaccuming the substrate etc, we got filters that should take care of all that. And maybe once a month we check the filters and clean them if needed.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
you taking the fish out when doing this I assume? If you have live plants how do you do a full clean?

Left the fish in, it was planted. Full clean was never a thing, just scraped the sides before I drained so I'd get a good portion of the gunk out, I would vacuum substrate like once a month with a filter media change.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

I don't take fish out for any cleaning.

Normally I pull out about 10-15g (20-25%) every month and otherwise keep it topped off. If you're heavily planted, a lot of the cleaning is done by the plant's absorption of nitrate. If you have enough plants and very few fish, you basically never have to do shit to it except add a little water. If you're heavily stocked with fish, with a heavy nitrate load, you have to purge out some of the nitrates or it starts to burn the fish's scales/eyes and turn the water green with bad algae growth.

I just use one of these to keep the glass clean.

Sometimes I'll clean the bottom, but corydoras keep my black Tahitian sand pretty clean. Also pretty hard to suck anything up with the vacuum with all the plants in the way.

I clean out my canister filter about once every 3-6 months, or when I notice the water flow rate has reduced noticeably. Replace the filter material, rinse the Seachem Matrix and bio balls in dechlorinated water, swap out bags for bleach bags of Purigen. I went over a year this last time, which meant the water wasn't the clearest and I started having some algae growth that 6 siamese algae eaters couldn't keep up with. Probably go back to every 3 months or so.

It's really unnecessary to change out your water every week. Ideally about one a month. 25-50%.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>

OK, here's where I get called a bad aquarium guy....

When I was running my heavily planted, CO2 injected freshwater 100G setup, I removed water MAYBE once or twice a year. In Texas, and with AC and Heat in a house evaporation was a constant lowering of the water level. The saving grace was that the plant load soaked up just about every single nutrient and trace element in the water. Once I started CO2 injection, and with a small algae eating squad (one siamese algae eater, and around half a dozen Amano Algae Eating Shrimp) I never saw enough algae to want to deal with cleaning the glass.

The trick is that you keep the plants sucking up all the traces, nutrients, and such. That means giving them enough C02 to superchage their growth (look for when they start bubbling O2 into the water). Now, on the other hand, I was hauling a bucket of plant clippings and bits out every week. Although many I would get to take root in a side tank, then take to the fish store I used to hit. They'd give me a pittance for them, and that would fund a lot of the tank.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I do a 40ish percent water change every 2 weeks in theory. In practice it's probably closer to every 3 weeks on average. I just vacuum the gravel, scrape the glass, and change the filter media if it looks too gross. Never take the fish out of the tank for any reason.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

When I was running my heavily planted, CO2 injected freshwater 100G setup, I removed water MAYBE once or twice a year. In Texas, and with AC and Heat in a house evaporation was a constant lowering of the water level. The saving grace was that the plant load soaked up just about every single nutrient and trace element in the water. Once I started CO2 injection, and with a small algae eating squad (one siamese algae eater, and around half a dozen Amano Algae Eating Shrimp) I never saw enough algae to want to deal with cleaning the glass.

The trick is that you keep the plants sucking up all the traces, nutrients, and such. That means giving them enough C02 to superchage their growth (look for when they start bubbling O2 into the water). Now, on the other hand, I was hauling a bucket of plant clippings and bits out every week. Although many I would get to take root in a side tank, then take to the fish store I used to hit. They'd give me a pittance for them, and that would fund a lot of the tank.
And this is where I say you were doing it right. You'd only really want/need to change the water if you were dosing with chems so you don't end up with an excess of one nutrient causing an algal bloom. No fertilzers, no excess nutrients.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I would say the opposite. You created the perfect ecosystem where you didn't have to balance/remove anything with water changes.

Once my lights turn on, I'll post some pics of my 2g and 10g tank. They aren't award-winning by any means but I proud of them for my first attempt at aquascaping. I had no idea that I could order so much online because deep South Florida has barely anything when it comes to freshwater fish stores. I use to help my parents keep a 30g community (no live plants) back in the day but once I moved out I never wanted to spend the time or money for a tank because how much my dad used to complain about it. I'm actually kicking myself because my parents asked me a few years ago if I wanted the 30g but I had no interest at the time. I'm shocked those fish lived so long because we did so many things wrong by today's standards. Anyways, aquascaping and shrimp have renewed my interest in the hobby. Plus, my kids love them.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I am wanting to add some more colorful shrimp to my 20g. Haven't decided which yet. I was somewhat amazed you can buy live shrimp on amazon and have them shipped.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I like shrimp, and I knew a guy who was breeding em (crazy blues, speckled, purples, yellows, oranges), they're just pretty temperamental and my red line sharks, even as passive as they are, would eat the shit out of them.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I like shrimp, and I knew a guy who was breeding em (crazy blues, speckled, purples, yellows, oranges), they're just pretty temperamental and my red line sharks, even as passive as they are, would eat the shit out of them.

Yeah, that is one of my concerns. In the 20G I have now the only fish I worry about is a red and blue Gourami I have who is an asshole. He will nip at and chase other fish. On the other hand he's never gone after the one ammano algae eating shrimp I have in the tank. I'm debating getting him a little 2-3 gallon tank on my desk and putting him in solitary.

Aazrael

This is the same tank with the grass earlier. GF wanted to try some aquascaping and redid it all. Finished today so plants need time to spread and grow a bit. But I think it looks nice with the rocks and roots we had at home.

20200423_184121.jpg

About water changes. Some never do them and it works fine but there will be a buildup overtime with bad stuff if you just top it up. Got too much money invested in fish and plants myself to take that chance so we do water changes every 2-3 weeks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The biggest water issue I've had living in Dallas is that the water from the tap is really high in dissolved solids. Specifically magnesium salts IIRC. This ended up not negatively impacting any tank I've had too badly. It did make it hard to purposefully lower the PH in the water (it seemed to be a built in buffering agent or something), which I did once for a 55 gallon I was running with a pair of green severums in it.

• 1Like

Aazrael

The biggest water issue I've had living in Dallas is that the water from the tap is really high in dissolved solids. Specifically magnesium salts IIRC. This ended up not negatively impacting any tank I've had too badly. It did make it hard to purposefully lower the PH in the water (it seemed to be a built in buffering agent or something), which I did once for a 55 gallon I was running with a pair of green severums in it.
Water quality makes a big difference for sure. We have very clean tap water in Sweden so I guess we are a bit spoiled by that. :)