Aquarists unite: fish are friends, and food

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nah, I just been browsing around for weeks. It is what I do lol. Tanks and chairs. If I had a connection to a new source I could probably write better articles on them at this point than the ones I read searching. Turns out everyone basically has the same 7 brands/tanks. Funny story, when I was looking at the 26G bow tank, I was like what stand even fits that thing. So I searched for the stand. Turns out only 2 places had them. One is 4 blocks away from me. Go figure. So I got to looking at their web page and everything is marked down with a front page plea to buy gift cards and buy locally. Turns out they are hurting due to CV. So I focused on what they have, which is the 3 selections I mentioned that fits my space.

As for heaters, ya I am going to do something about that. My room is climate controlled between hvac and window air so I just got to figure out how many hours a day I need to run it then split it into a off/on schedule or as Slu said a temp controlled plug. I've seen them.

Yeah, if you're only looking at PetSupermarket, PetSmart and PetCo, you're only going to find like 3 brands of tanks, or 4 major brands of suppliers like Aqueon, SeaChem etc.

Are there no local fish stores near you? There were some bomb ass ones where I used to live. Always had great tanks on display.

Oldbased

> Than U
Yeah, if you're only looking at PetSupermarket, PetSmart and PetCo, you're only going to find like 3 brands of tanks, or 4 major brands of suppliers like Aqueon, SeaChem etc.

Are there no local fish stores near you? There were some bomb ass ones where I used to live. Always had great tanks on display.
Ya the one I mentioned above. I found it was all the same online, no matter if ebay, amazon, petco, petsmart, walmart, jet, chewy, and even many online pet stores. Its Tetra, Aqueon, Corral Life, Fluval, Lendel, Aqua unless you got to one of the few custom made sites which charge insane amounts. Fluval actually makes a 32.5 gallon I like that is long and wide but not too long, but a few inches out of my comfort zone in spacing. Instead of having the back 1/4th of the tank closed off, it is only the center back with a easily removed cover and 2 pumps/filters behind it. Thought it was pretty genius.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I used to keep a few massive heavily planted freshwater tanks. Then I got a job where I didn't have time to maintain. Now I'm down to one 20G tank..
But now I'm slowly wanting more and more dense plant coverage. I know where this path leads.

Current tank :
IMG_20200416_153253.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I used to keep a few massive heavily planted freshwater tanks. Then I got a job where I didn't have time to maintain. Now I'm down to one 20G tank..
But now I'm slowly wanting more and more dense plant coverage. I know where this path leads.

Current tank :
View attachment 264307
Ya I been fighting that for weeks now.
I already got a tank, do I really need to upgrade. * look around room. 3k pc, 4k tv, high end shit everywhere, 10 gallon $50 setup. * Ok I need a new tank.

This is the one I had my heart set on until Acid broke it.
I am curious though. Some tanks bow top to bottom, this one bows side to side.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That's a nice kit, I just really, really fucking hate bowed tanks. Bow top to bottom looks like absolute shit. Side to side is tolerable if viewed from directly in front of it. Any angle is gonna mess with the viewing experience.

I'd even suggest going with a cube (more vertical space) if it means more gallons. And yeah, no way is a dresser supporting a 40ga tank. The stand needs to be structurally reinforced with 2x4's on the corners.

Low iron glass tanks are the tits, I must admit. Very clear glass. Not so much an issue on smaller tanks, since the glass doesn't need to be very thick, or in most cases is acrylic, but on your 100+ga tanks, the glass can have a green tint to it. It was very noticeable when my old stepfather had a 220ga saltwater predator tank.

Btw, Petco and what-not sell the glass covers to put on those open-top tanks. Another thing I did for a while was to use egg crate diffuser panels. They're cheap as shit and you can cut them to fit as a makeshift cover that's not bulky. It holds the weight of a cat unless only three sides are hitting the lip of the tank. Ask me how I know lol... I had a small 20ga and only had three sides hitting the lip, as I'd cut it short. The cat climbed on top, and it bowed in and the cat fell into the water with the light. Fortunately, the light was on a timer and off at the time, or I might have had a fried kitty (kidding, it was a bathroom socket with a safety breaker on it).

white_egg_crate_closeup_2_.jpg

I've also used dome lamps you can get at Home Depot for like $6 and put in LED bulbs. That was a super cheap way to produce crazy high lighting I needed for growing plants with CO2. Just take off the clamp and set it right on top of the egg crate diffuser.

Right now I'm rocking a $350 BuildMyLED strip. Built locally. Well fuck... looks like they closed up shop a few years back. The LED's will last 10-15 years (more with the dimmer). The owner of the company had lighting down to an extreme science, both in its efficiency and appearance. A real shame, because everything else out there that's not a simple plant grow-light or designed for coral is overpriced hot garbage.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We got too many tanks atm. Getting hard to maintain them all.

This is our 190gallon planted with co2. Female bettas and corydoras mostly (a few other fish also). Trying to get grass growing to cover the substrate but it was just planted and I'm not sure the light is enough for it to spread.
20200421_215908.jpg

And this is our jewel corner tank with a Channa Asiatica pair.
20200421_215939.jpg

I'm trying to get co2 in all tanks, the plants grow so much better. But good light cost alot.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
We got too many tanks atm. Getting hard to maintain them all.

This is our 190gallon planted with co2. Female bettas and corydoras mostly (a few other fish also). Trying to get grass growing to cover the substrate but it was just planted and I'm not sure the light is enough for it to spread.

And this is our jewel corner tank with a Channa Asiatica pair.

I'm trying to get co2 in all tanks, the plants grow so much better. But good light cost alot.
Look for weed grow lights. They're a shit load cheaper than anything labeled "aquarium". Or do like I did with the domes and use high watt LED full-spectrum bulbs. This shit kicks so much ass, I couldn't contain how well my tank was growing with something like this with CO2.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
That's a nice kit, I just really, really fucking hate bowed tanks. Bow top to bottom looks like absolute shit. Side to side is tolerable if viewed from directly in front of it. Any angle is gonna mess with the viewing experience.

I'd even suggest going with a cube (more vertical space) if it means more gallons. And yeah, no way is a dresser supporting a 40ga tank. The stand needs to be structurally reinforced with 2x4's on the corners.

Low iron glass tanks are the tits, I must admit. Very clear glass. Not so much an issue on smaller tanks, since the glass doesn't need to be very thick, or in most cases is acrylic, but on your 100+ga tanks, the glass can have a green tint to it. It was very noticeable when my old stepfather had a 220ga saltwater predator tank.

Btw, Petco and what-not sell the glass covers to put on those open-top tanks. Another thing I did for a while was to use egg crate diffuser panels. They're cheap as shit and you can cut them to fit as a makeshift cover that's not bulky. It holds the weight of a cat unless only three sides are hitting the lip of the tank. Ask me how I know lol... I had a small 20ga and only had three sides hitting the lip, as I'd cut it short. The cat climbed on top, and it bowed in and the cat fell into the water with the light. Fortunately, the light was on a timer and off at the time, or I might have had a fried kitty (kidding, it was a bathroom socket with a safety breaker on it).

View attachment 264311

I've also used dome lamps you can get at Home Depot for like $6 and put in LED bulbs. That was a super cheap way to produce crazy high lighting I needed for growing plants with CO2. Just take off the clamp and set it right on top of the egg crate diffuser.

Right now I'm rocking a $350 BuildMyLED strip. Built locally. Well fuck... looks like they closed up shop a few years back. The LED's will last 10-15 years (more with the dimmer). The owner of the company had lighting down to an extreme science, both in its efficiency and appearance. A real shame, because everything else out there that's not a simple plant grow-light or designed for coral is overpriced hot garbage.

The other part of it was he would throw in the stand that goes with it and a 24" led strip ( it comes with a led hood with 1 slot filled but has a 2nd you can get many various 24" led strips to fill for additional lighting ) with the 26g bow kit all new for $210. Stand normally $140, light $23 Tank is 190-210 elsewhere alone.
Figured 26 gallon kit, with stand made for it with the extra 24"led insert for $210 was a no brainer since it fit but I better ask first. Woe is me haha

Appears now I have time to suffer on the idea though. IRS updated website, my DD is May 5th.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Acidfly's opinion on bowfront tanks isn't gospel. If you like them, then get one. I have one and I have spent many hours looking at it and haven't experienced any of acidfly's apparent rage. On the contrary, I think they are very attractive. It's not hard to clean either, you just need to scrape horizontally instead of vertically. In general all of his advice is fine if you want to be a hardcore fish nerd, but to have a nice tank with some fish to look at doesn't require being that anal.

For the record. I've had aquariums for 20+ years also and can't imagine having actual hatred for a type of tank.

Last edited:
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I mean, glofish, neon gravel and fake plants. Do whatever the fuck ya want. To me it's like having a transparent colored iMac vs. a PC.

Roddsgto

Trakanon Raider
Well,

It has been brought to my attention that we will not be setting back up our 125 gallon and sump. And there is also a spare 75 gallon here as well.

If any of you are around central Kentucky and are searching for budget big tanks pm me.

Proud owner 75 gallon well stocked guppy tank :)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Oh, in relation to that pic up there. The one thing which I never really managed to do back when I had my huge tank was get that "lush green lawn" look. I managed it easy peasy with the 20 gallon tank thanks to something I tried on a lark from Amazon :

Of course I completely ignored the instructions.
I got the packet of seeds and just dumped them into a cup of water that I took from the tank. They immediately turned into this viscious blob of seed and what I can only imagine is some kind of food/spawning agent the place put in with the seeds. I let the goop sit in the cup for a day. It soaked up more water and became a bigger blob of plant seed goo...

I then just dumped it into the tank. It settled as one big blob front and center on the floor of the tank. I then took the algae scraper I have and smeared it all over the floor of the tank, around the rocks and decor. It looked horrible, like my fish was jizz moppers after a bukkake film shoot that took extra takes... But I'm patient....

Around 3 days later I notice the fish plant jizz is now greenish... 2 days later I can tell it's plants sprouting, and within a week POOF, the lush green mat you see in the pic. First time I'd ever had that kind of success with a ground cover style plant.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I've never been a plant guy and my african cichlids would just eat them anyway but back in my community tank days I used to buy little baggies of bulbs at Walmart of all places and drop a few of them in my aquarium and in a few days there would be leaves going to the top of the tank and sometimes even flowers that stuck up out of the water. They didn't last very long and in a few weeks they would start to look shitty and I would just pull them out and throw in some new bulbs. Not very sophisticated but it was a way to have some plants in your tank with zero effort and I thought they looked nice. Once my walmart stopped carrying them I was never able to find them again or even figure out what they were.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like basic Amazon swords. They suck up all the nutrients in the water and if they're not replenished they starve and die. I had a large cluster of them. I have an inch of soil under two inches of black tahitian sand, with 12-12-12 tomato growing nutrients embedded in the soil, and dosed the water with green leaf aquarium PPS package. They grew large enough to take up almost 50% of the tank, long stems would reach up and out of the tank, occasionally flowering.

Stopped dosing and they died off after a month or so.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh, in relation to that pic up there. The one thing which I never really managed to do back when I had my huge tank was get that "lush green lawn" look. I managed it easy peasy with the 20 gallon tank thanks to something I tried on a lark from Amazon :

Of course I completely ignored the instructions.
I got the packet of seeds and just dumped them into a cup of water that I took from the tank. They immediately turned into this viscious blob of seed and what I can only imagine is some kind of food/spawning agent the place put in with the seeds. I let the goop sit in the cup for a day. It soaked up more water and became a bigger blob of plant seed goo...

I then just dumped it into the tank. It settled as one big blob front and center on the floor of the tank. I then took the algae scraper I have and smeared it all over the floor of the tank, around the rocks and decor. It looked horrible, like my fish was jizz moppers after a bukkake film shoot that took extra takes... But I'm patient....

Around 3 days later I notice the fish plant jizz is now greenish... 2 days later I can tell it's plants sprouting, and within a week POOF, the lush green mat you see in the pic. First time I'd ever had that kind of success with a ground cover style plant.
This tank is the first I got to work with grass covering the substrate. 54 litre tank with co2 and 60watt of LED light. Not sure what the grass is called, GF do all the shopping for plants.

20191108_172125.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Junglefev3r

Trakanon Raider
Been running this 6ft tank for a little over a year. Slowly transitioning to a medium-light tank, will add some harder to grow plants soon.
IMG-2041.jpg

• 5Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Sounds like basic Amazon swords. They suck up all the nutrients in the water and if they're not replenished they starve and die. I had a large cluster of them. I have an inch of soil under two inches of black tahitian sand, with 12-12-12 tomato growing nutrients embedded in the soil, and dosed the water with green leaf aquarium PPS package. They grew large enough to take up almost 50% of the tank, long stems would reach up and out of the tank, occasionally flowering.

Stopped dosing and they died off after a month or so.

They had long stems before the leaf and rounded tipped leaves. I think it was some sort of Aponogeton but I can't find one that looks exactly like I remember. Anyway, they were kind of cool.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
They had long stems before the leaf and rounded tipped leaves. I think it was some sort of Aponogeton but I can't find one that looks exactly like I remember. Anyway, they were kind of cool.
Did it have wavy leaves or look like this?

echinodorus-cordifolius-topf.jpg

• 1Like