Aquarists unite: fish are friends, and food

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got a few ram cichlids a few weeks ago. Corydoras, Betta female and Ram Cichlid fish soup at the moment.

Will probably purchase a CO2 system after christmas so the plants will grow even better.

20181219_221614.jpg20181219_221450.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
My son's fish all died when his mom moved, so I took the tank.

Unfortunately I set it up on my counter top and didn't notice I had a small pencil sharpener underneath it, and it cracked.

PetSmart had a deal on a 36 gallon Top Fin tank, only 99.99 with a "bow front". Looks really nice. I picked up a Marineland filter for it though, because the topfin brand that came with it sucked hard and not in a good way. I also picked up some bubblers and an air pump.

Now.. I can't seem to keep the bubbler air hoses underneath my substrate. Any ideas how I can keep them weighted down that won't be harmful to fish or plants? I'd really like to get the floating hoses out of the center of my tank.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Get some suction cups with hose clips to hold the airline against the side of the tank. Without the air of the line pulling up the bubbler up it should stay put. I wouldn't run tubing under the substrate, just along the back of the tank.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Are the bubblers for aesthetic effect? You don't need them for aeration if your filter is appropriately sized.

• 1Like

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
bubbles are for surface agitation, more surface area, more o2 mixing into the water. the bubbles themselves don't add o2 to the water. if your filter agitates the top of the water enough, you don't need bubblers, unless you like the pirate ship treasure chest that opens every few seconds :)

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Depends heavily on your stock and quantity. A lot of fish sold are surface breathers that don't need aeration, and with enough fish that aren't, the surface breaking aeration of hang on filters and canister filters won't dissolve enough O2.

I have 6 redline sharks, 6 SAE, a dozen cories, 8 congo tetras, a dozen black tetras, a spotted cat, and they absolutely would not survive without a bubbler. I tried, but with just the cories and red lines they were all constantly gasping in the water, or the cories who can also surface were constantly surfacing for air. All fish are chill af with the added air, even in shit quality water.

• 1Like

SyKicK

Trakanon Raider
If your plants are growing ok, I wouldn't even bother with Co2. I have a couple Co2 tank setups sitting around and I don't even run them anymore. They just seemed to cause more problems with algae then it was worth. Unless you are actually good with balancing Light levels and Co2 (which I wasn't good at). You might be better off with just some good fertilizers.

Btw amazing looking tank, I'm super jealous.

Got a few ram cichlids a few weeks ago. Corydoras, Betta female and Ram Cichlid fish soup at the moment.

Will probably purchase a CO2 system after christmas so the plants will grow even better.

View attachment 186590View attachment 186589

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Cichlids and planted tanks generally don't mix. They tend to rip plants apart. Why a lot in the hobby stick to rock work or wood work with cichlids. Planted tanks are for passive community fish.

If you plan on running plants, I highly suggest this product for dosing nutrients. For a carbon supplement, get a gallon of glutaraldehyde from ebay for $20, dose about 10ml/day (toss the little activation bottle that come with it, if you mix that in it will completely kill the tank). Add CO2 and you'll have some beastly plant growth. I used ferts and glut on a heavily stocked tank for 5 years. Glut will also nullify any algae growth, so you can go super high on lighting without much concern.

Fertilizer Packages - Green Leaf Aquariums

NEW! MetriCide 28 Glutaraldehyde High Level Disinfectant Fruity Scent -1 Gal. | eBay

• 1Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are the bubblers for aesthetic effect? You don't need them for aeration if your filter is appropriately sized.

Yes they are.

bubbles are for surface agitation, more surface area, more o2 mixing into the water. the bubbles themselves don't add o2 to the water. if your filter agitates the top of the water enough, you don't need bubblers, unless you like the pirate ship treasure chest that opens every few seconds :)

Of course I do! I even bought a rocking sunken ship. They make my inner child happy.

Get some suction cups with hose clips to hold the airline against the side of the tank. Without the air of the line pulling up the bubbler up it should stay put. I wouldn't run tubing under the substrate, just along the back of the tank.

Thanks, I'll look for some at the store.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If your plants are growing ok, I wouldn't even bother with Co2. I have a couple Co2 tank setups sitting around and I don't even run them anymore. They just seemed to cause more problems with algae then it was worth. Unless you are actually good with balancing Light levels and Co2 (which I wasn't good at). You might be better off with just some good fertilizers.

Btw amazing looking tank, I'm super jealous.

Thanks!

We got really easy plants in the tank atm. My girlfriend is the one running this operation and she buys and mixes her own nutrition (PMDD, Poor Mans Dosing Drops). She usally adds it at water changes. The goal is grass/moss on the floor of the tank but that will need more lamps and CO2.

The chiklids we got right now does not seem to do any damage to the plants, but I know some species can be annoying and dig all over. :)

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
[suction cups] Thanks, I'll look for some at the store.
I haven't looked in a while, but once upon a time they used to sell weighs to wrap around air line to help hold it down. I used to try to use objects like rocks or rocking sunken ships to hold airline. Suction cups work great for a while. Then invariably they get brittle and fail. They are my last resort.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

What "light" that is not 100$ fancy light should I get for my tri-betta tanks? Their poor plants died, no light apparently.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What "light" that is not 100$ fancy light should I get for my tri-betta tanks? Their poor plants died, no light apparently.

Screenshot_20181230-194249_Home Depot.jpg

Grab one of these from home depot and plug a full spectrum CFL or LED bulb into it. I had four of these (w 75w equiv CFL's) over a heavy planted tank before I bought a $300 LED strip. I can suggest bulbs, but just find one that's 6500K that states full spectrum. Likely cost you less than $15, though not that elegant.

• 2Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
9gal
30 gal long
30 gal
55 gal
30 gal What a mess
55 gal

Those look fucking amazing. My tank is a desert compared to yours, but I just started mine Friday. How long have you been growing those plants?

• 2Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn. I just have 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank with a couple of plastic plants and a fake Spongebob pineapple house.

What is maintenance like on these bigger set ups? Goldfish are apparently very dirty fish, I think I need a bigger tank.

• 1Like