Aquarists unite: fish are friends, and food

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
By far my favorite "fish" I ever owned was a snowflake eel in my saltwater tank. He was pretty afraid of the other fish and hid all the time, like eels do, but when it was feeding time I'd stick my hand in the tank just for him, and he'd come coil around my hand until I put a goldfish in front of him with the other hand. It was so awesome, I could do it almost every time someone was watching. I occasionally have nightmares that I still have the tank and am taking apart my canister filter and find him stuck in the tube :( That didn't happen to him, but I still have nightmares about it. I also have nightmares that I forgot to feed my fish for months. Weird shit man, like I said, I haven't had a tank in probably 10 years.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a 43 gallon tank with African cichlids that I have had continuously for 15+ years. I go back and forth between upgrading and really getting into and taking down the one I have. Luckily African cichlids are low maintenance and tough as shit so it's not a lot of work and if you neglect them from time to time they will probably be fine.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You know, Antoine's got a really bad temper. One time, I dropped a cigar ash on his carpet, and he made me pick it up with my anus

• 2Like
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
2d059dded270aad663be6f015c13a531.png

Think I might've posted this in the Pets thread, but here was my 30g back when I had it as a blackwater tank. Was kind of throwing anything into the tank to see if it'd grow, ended up with a flowering tiger lotus that eventually leeched the entire tank and had to be cut out. Was real pretty for a few months though. Only thing that really stuck it out was the anubias and the sword. Right now all it's got is a handful of neon tetras, some blue amano shrimp, and two female peacock gudgeons (had a male, he was breeding them like crazy and ended up starving himself to death from going to ground protecting endless clutches of eggs. Too much of a good thing.) If anyone's got a good suggestion for a showcase fish that could fit in a 30g Biocube to replace my ram pair, shout it out.

cad4aed767793646b19914773c270f80.png

Ginsberg, who was hands down my favorite guy when he was still motoring around. Was roided out on algae wafers, absolutely huge, ended up having to take him out of the 5g nano so he had more space. Almost ended up liking inverts in general better than the fish, just sucks you can't really expect more than a year or two from the larger snails if they're active and well fed. Still got a nerite that's been trucking for almost four years now but we regularly have to take him out and put coral glue in the holes opening up on his shell.

c2f61bc7efb33f32292a1562602b3484.png

The recently-croaked blue ram I mentioned in the jimmies thread.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
Man this makes me want to get back into the hobby. I'll retell a story I told in the pets thread.

Several years back I got a Red Tail x Tiger Shovelnose Catfish hybrid from a buddy who had no idea how massive those things get. I only had a 225 gallon tank at the time which was fine for the fish at the time. I tried to give away this bastard for almost a year before I finally said Fuck it and used him as an excuse to build a monster tank I always wanted and essentially converted my garage into an indoor pond for this bad boy. I never took any pictures because they were supposed to live for 20 years, so I never felt pressed to photograph him. I had the pond running for almost 3 years and this bastard was nearly 4 feet long. I then had an ex break into my garage, destroy the pond and kill my fish. Crazy cunt sent me pictures and everything.

I miss the hell out of that fish, but I just haven't had it in my to build something like that again.

• 4Rustled
  • 3WTF
Reactions: 6 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Man this makes me want to get back into the hobby. I'll retell a story I told in the pets thread.

Several years back I got a Red Tail x Tiger Shovelnose Catfish hybrid from a buddy who had no idea how massive those things get. I only had a 225 gallon tank at the time which was fine for the fish at the time. I tried to give away this bastard for almost a year before I finally said Fuck it and used him as an excuse to build a monster tank I always wanted and essentially converted my garage into an indoor pond for this bad boy. I never took any pictures because they were supposed to live for 20 years, so I never felt pressed to photograph him. I had the pond running for almost 3 years and this bastard was nearly 4 feet long. I then had an ex break into my garage, destroy the pond and kill my fish. Crazy cunt sent me pictures and everything.

I miss the hell out of that fish, but I just haven't had it in my to build something like that again.
I'm hoping you made sure that fucking cunt caught charges. Enough $ in property damage it should have been a felony even without having to try and blubber to police and explain how much a fish meant to you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I know about fish tanks is that somebody in Michigan had a hell of a WTF story about a bobbit worm. In fact I think it was someone on this forum who first referred me to the story.

The Bobbit Worm Chronicles - Michigan Reefers
Yet another bit of information I wouldn't have known without FoH to guide me! I'm still reading it, but holy shit, wtf is that thing real??

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Get a male bobbit worm and if your existing is a male, they will fight. If its a female, the will mate. Then, the female worm attacks the male penis and feeds it to her young after mating...
Jesus christ!

I've heard horror stories about these guys, which is why folks tend to be anal af about isolation before putting anything into their tank. This is why I used local dried out limestone with a tiny seed rock to start the liverock process. Only takes about six months with good lighting to cover about 150# of rock in purple.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Jesus christ!

I've heard horror stories about these guys, which is why folks tend to be anal af about isolation before putting anything into their tank. This is why I used local dried out limestone with a tiny seed rock to start the liverock process. Only takes about six months with good lighting to cover about 150# of rock in purple.

Apparently people are still finding that thread almost a decade later. I have a pretty strong stomach but man alive videos of that thing gave me the heebie jeebies.

• 1Like

NeverlosT

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think there are some odd critters in FW too, but for perspective, I've been keeping reeftanks for 17 years and I've never seen a bobbit worm. Bristleworms that are pretty big, yes, but thats a far cry from a bobbitworm.

img_8573-jpg.794379

img_8578-jpg.794384

In case it isn't obvious, I like coral more than I like fish.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

NeverlosT

Golden Knight of the Realm
its a fact. I have a few that are flashy, acquired through friends, which I sell frags of to help fund the hobby. A chalice that goes for $200 an eye (about a 1/4" square) and some acropora frags that are a few hundred bucks a frag.

Its tough though unless you want to ship, you saturate your area and then thats that. In my area most reefers are on a tight budget, so selling aint easy.

I mostly just enjoy the engineering challenge of designing/improving the control system and physical system to keep the environment stable.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Is weird shit like bobbit worms less prevalent in freshwater tanks? Again, I know nothing about fish tanks.
Most nuisances in FW are snails or runaway plants that won't stop growing, as much as you keep pulling it from the tank (like duckweed).

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Early stages of the 110g I had a long, long time ago. I had 4x T5HO, two actinic (a word I surprisingly just had to add to my Google dictionary), with a 40g sump hidden in the stand. What you see here is a transplant from my 55g, so there's not even enough sand. Had a pair of false perculas, a cherub angelfish, and a striped goby, a very stressed out carpet anemone, small plate of mushroom corals, cheap polyps, and a xenia that ended up growing pretty fakn huge and used by the clowns as a house.

tank4.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank6.jpg

tank5.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
its a fact. I have a few that are flashy, acquired through friends, which I sell frags of to help fund the hobby. A chalice that goes for $200 an eye (about a 1/4" square) and some acropora frags that are a few hundred bucks a frag.

Its tough though unless you want to ship, you saturate your area and then thats that. In my area most reefers are on a tight budget, so selling aint easy.

I mostly just enjoy the engineering challenge of designing/improving the control system and physical system to keep the environment stable.
I love I got the beta vertex reef controller..... Years of delays after a rework so now I'm getting it after I've broken down the tank........

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Man the Bobbit worm is something straight out of nightmares, reminds me of a underwater Graboid. I feel sorry for any aquarium owner who gets one in their set up.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like